Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know they all say dont put anything on them but has anyone had issues with Rain-x? Love the windshield for cold weather but visibility can get bad. I’ve got a Super ATV hard coated

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
I had a hard coat poly windshield and gave up trying to keep the moisture off of it. I tried both regular Rain X and also the Rain X for plastic and neither one worked well. The problem was trying to get the film off after application. It is darn near impossible to get it clear and streak free without cloudiness.

I ended up building a custom cage for my car, and I'm planning on building a frame with auto glass that is removable, and I'm going to have a manual wiper on it. Also being actual glass Rain X should work well.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I use Slipstreamer. It is made for plastic windshields. Spray it on, wipe with a micro fiber towel and then wipe again with a dry towel. Works great. I have a Super ATV hard coat half windshield.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I put it on my windshield and I didn't have too many issues with getting the haze off. Just used a moist microfiber and buffed as directed. But, as you can tell by my profile pic, doesn't do much for mud lol!

·
Vendor
598 Posts
I know they all say dont put anything on them but has anyone had issues with Rain-x? Love the windshield for cold weather but visibility can get bad. I’ve got a Super ATV hard coated
I really don't like the idea of Rain-X. I can't remember exactly which one, but either the regular or the poly style can make it blurry because of a chemical reaction with the finish. I'm thinking the poly was the bad one, but I'd stay away from either just in case.

OFFICIALLY.... ;) I'm not really supposed to recommend anything besides dish soap and water, and wipe with a quality microfiber towel.

UNOFFICIALLY... ;) I know a lot of guys that put a few coats of Nu-Finish on and swear by it. I've never done it, but its a popular recommendation over on the Teryx Forum.

One of the best and easiest recommendations that I've tried, is to spray it down with Pledge furniture polish before a ride, and wipe it down with the good microfiber cloth. It really helps the water bead up and roll off and makes it easier to clean afterwards. I always keep a pump sprayer to spray it down if it gets muddy. Also, a Swiffer duster can work wonders if you're in a dusty area.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Lol, RainX for plastic is made specifically for .... plastic, like a poly windshield.
Nufinish isn't recommended for plastic according to their web site.
I used the RainX stuff you put in windshield washer reservoirs for years on my double hardcoat windshields without a problem even though it wasn't recommenced, and switched to the RainX for plastic after they introduced that, again without a problem.
RainX has been around for generations and is a reputable company that isn't going to recommend a product for your poly windshield that will turn it yellow or make it brittle.
The instructions for the original specifically said to not use it on plastic.
The new RainX for plastic is specifically formulated for use on plastic.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Lol, RainX for plastic is made specifically for .... plastic, like a poly windshield.
Nufinish isn't recommended for plastic according to their web site.
I used the RainX stuff you put in windshield washer reservoirs for years on my double hardcoat windshields without a problem even though it wasn't recommenced, and switched to the RainX for plastic after they introduced that, again without a problem.
RainX has been around for generations and is a reputable company that isn't going to recommend a product for your poly windshield that will turn it yellow or make it brittle.
The instructions for the original specifically said to not use it on plastic.
The new RainX for plastic is specifically formulated for use on plastic.
Thanks for the heads up...I did not know that there was a specific on for plastic.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
No matter what was used we couldn't keep the fog/moisture off, then only add a spec of sand/dirt etc. and guarantee instant scratches and each cleaning it clouds little by little.
Lost visibility many times so we tossed the poly both full and half windshields. Glass only w/wiper, vents if done again.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I asked a tint guy if there was a product that could be added to the outside of the windshield and he said that he could use the same stuff that is applied to body panels to keep them from chipping etc.

·
Registered
2019 Maverick sport xmr
11 Posts
I use regular rain x on hardcoats no problem. Using now on Maverick. And as well when I had a wolverine. I feel it helps

·
Premium Member
2019 x3 Xds R
248 Posts
I just used a coat of wax on mine for the winter. Worked fine with the wiper.
But I’m running front window, back net and open side in the winter. So no fog or droplet issues. Just use heated seats and heater hose in the jackets for snow riding. Radiator heat keeps the ice of the front window.

Also make sure you rinse the dust off before you wipe it. And for the love of god, use a new micro fiber every time. The hair lines will compound over time creating the sunburst shine after awhile.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts