Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2021 XRC Turbo
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering how tight these need to be on my ST radius rods? I got them pretty tight, but thought about putting a paint pen mark on them to see if they loosen after a ride. Couldn’t find any info on this….

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have found it necessary. Killed a aftermarket set of middle radius rods when the lock nuts loosed and pulled a heim joint threads out of the arm, 2 rides after the install. Used locktite and torque paint on many of the nuts and bolts for a quick inspection. Never happened again. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,801 Posts
Ya you need to use locktite and thread marker on everything with these since everything seems to come loose and you want to be able to see it as soon as possible.

Reactions: Dr. Dirty

·
Registered
2021 XRC Turbo
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I’ll assess them as I go. They are tough to get a good amount of torque on and I had to use a crows foot on the middle outer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Same here. Middle radius rod nuts came loose. Wife was behind me and said the tire looks "wonky". Red loctited once again.

·
Registered
2021 XRC Turbo
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
F the red locktite! Use the green stud retaining stuff. Problem solved
Ah like Loctite 680….that makes me a little nervous lol, and I’m not sure if you’re serious. I had to look the stuff up haha.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I actually use Anti seize on my rod ends to prevent galling. As I said never had a locknut come loose however I have had rod ends gall and stick in aluminum tie rods.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Ah like Loctite 680….that makes me a little nervous lol, and I’m not sure if you’re serious. I had to look the stuff up haha.
Yes 680. Very serious. I've used it for years on stuff that I do not want to come loose. It helps to heat it a bit when removing. I know personally of some KOH guys that swear by it as well . If a jam nut on a heim comes loose, it will trash the threads in the rod.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I actually use Anti seize on my rod ends to prevent galling. As I said never had a locknut come loose however I have had rod ends gall and stick in aluminum tie rods.
You ain't kidding, having a 5/8 rod end gall up in the end of an aluminum rod is brutal. May as well throw the rod away most of the time. I haven't had any jam nuts come loose like this either.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts