Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

Radius arms... 2019 XRS turbo maverick

7K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  desertguy 
#1 ·
I have bent my right upper radius arm... There is a couple of options to replace.. O.E.M. about $100.00 for the 1 arm... Or aftermarket brands seem to like to use the aircraft grade aluminum billet... Anybody have expierence with both? Any input?

#2 ·
Shock therapy is making radius rods now high quality suuper strong ,you can get billet or chromoly 850/800 american star has a full set billet for around 450, but they probably use a cheap hym and the cheap hymes will end up breaking with st’s they use a 3/4” the industry std is 5/8 This is one prod. That impressed me

Reactions: AZSteele
#3 ·
Several options, ZRP, S3, Assault and others make replacement radius rods. You'll also want to replace the tin thin radius rod plate.

Or you can cut the original rods and sleeve them with 1 1/4" MOD hardened steel. An excellent dude and forum friend here helped me out not too long ago. If you'd like to know more about sleeving them, shoot me an email (X3STEELE@OUTLOOK.COM). I'll use these sleeves radius rods until next race season then swap them out for the lighter billet radius rods. Always good to have a spare.

As you'll see in the pictures, the OEM radius rods are ridiculously thin. Now's a great time to beef up your rods and plate. I'd also suggest ZRP's Dog Bones, https://www.zollingerracingproducts.com/can-am/radius-rod-dog-bones-set-of-3

Check with Craig (ProUTVParts.com) for the best deals and customer service.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Much cheaper alternative to dropping $800 on billet rods (which I'll do one of these days)
The sleeved rods are MEGA Beefy (pun intended) , doubt anything can bend them. I'll keep them as spares once I can afford the $800 bling for my very high maintenance X Mistress.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Nice job AZSeele.

I just went out to Glamis for Veterans Day weekend. I had the same problem with mine after unintentionally flying off the top of a 12 foot drop on the sand highway. I seriously should have known better. Sun was straight up and I couldn't see any shadows. I hit nose first, rode the freewheels a bit (looked like I was doing a stopie I was told), then the ass came down and popped the left paddle off the bead (no bead lock wheel) and bent the right upper radius rod. Luckily I had a HMF Front Bumper. No damage to the front end at all. The bumper absorbed the damage completely and not a single piece of Maverick X3 was out of alignment or broken. I was highly impressed with the strength and quality of the bumper. Even the my Rigid light didn't break but the light bracket was bent back. I myself had bruises from my lap belt and harnesses and I broke a rib. Other then that, It was a great weekend!

Attachments

Reactions: AZSteele
#13 ·
Chromoly is heavier high grade metal. Billet is light weight high quality aluminum cut from a solid block. Both pretty much the same strength. Biggest difference is the weight.

Really the only advantage to chromoly is if you bend one you can bend it back to get out of a pinch.

#15 ·
I wound up making my own. I used 1.250 x .120 wall chromoly tubing, tig welded threaded bungs on each end, bought 5/8" FK heims. Made a fixture to match the stock eye to eye setting. Set each radius rod to stock length, left some threads for adjustability down the road. Super strong, easily adjustable and look good too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.