Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mixed race fuel in with the gas that was in the mav, now it doesn't seem to want to run as good.... Hope it didn't hurt anything! Was hittin 79-8000 before.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
the 95 on the gas lid is a rating for Canada ron not us octane !, so people were thinking it was ok to bump it up, but its not, lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So that could be the lack of performance? Guess I will suck it out and put it in the rocket!! Hopefully the Mav gets its rpm's back!

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
weird not sure why its not hitting full rpm did u try it atleast 5 runs, u know it sum times doesn't hit the full 7xxx's rpms , only from start then at top speed

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
If you ran it long enough, you might have burned up your o2 sensors are ready. That is if the race gas has lead in it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not sure if it was leaded or not. I only put 5 gallons in with 5 gallons of premium. I just noticed it wasn't revvin up when I took it trail riding, on sandy trails. When I back off then get back into it. And I think if the o2 sensor wasn't working it would throw a cel wouldn't it?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Higher octane doesn't mean more power. It actually will hurt performance if it is not needed. Basically it will provide less power because it burns slower or with less energy (easy way to think of it), The only time you would want high octane is if the engine is built for it or you are detonating.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The only reason I put 1/4 tank of vp is because I don't think the premium is very good in my town it sits around because every one drives a deisel

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Whe ur cruzin down the road 30-40 and hammer it rpms don't go to 8k , 73ish is right unless u have aftermarket clutch

·
Registered
81 Posts
The gas could be the culprit.

Just curious, how many miles you have on it? My ran 7900-8000 all the time until it hit around 100 miles or so. RPM's dropped very similar to what you explained. I'm contributing my drop to a weakening secondary spring.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have around 160. But it had around 100 when I put the race fuel in it. It will still get up there when u go down the road. But not like before. It would hit 8 from a dead punch.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Higher octane doesn't mean more power. It actually will hurt performance if it is not needed. Basically it will provide less power because it burns slower or with less energy (easy way to think of it), The only time you would want high octane is if the engine is built for it or you are detonating.
That is exactly right. Big misconception people have about race fuel. The only time you need it is when you are lean/detonating.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I know most of you know this but this is for the guys not familiar with detonating. In a nutshell, the higher the octane rating the more compression or heat from compression the fuel can take before detonation. If you run low octane fuels in high compression engines the fuel will detonate from heat caused by compression prior to the piston completing its upwards "compression" stroke. Causing the the engine to "knock". Once the detonation happens, the piston still has to complete its upward stroke and any momentum it had traveling up will be slowed because its basically running into an explosion and then trying to run through it. Which can also cause engine damage. When octane is too high for a certain compression, the heat from combustion is not enough to have a complete burn when combustion occurs, so not all of your fuel is getting burned off. If everything is in order, the heat from compression alone puts the fuel just below the flash point, then the spark from your spark plug puts it over the top and ignites the mixture. The piston would be at the very peak of its stroke and would then be pushed down due to the energy released during combustion. Either way, whether or not you have too low of an octane or too high of an octane you will loose the ability to achieve the desired RPM in which the machine was designed to run at.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts