Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

R u xxc owners happy with your purchase???

19K views 36 replies 20 participants last post by  1976hokie 
#1 ·
Ive been waiting on a Base White Mav. for over a month and just found out yesterday its atleast another month out. Dealer has a white/red/blk XXC in stock that I can purchase. Im hesitant to buy the XXC based on the lowered ground clearance vs. all the other maverick models. Im just wondering if u guys that have them are having issues with this and how happy u r with the XXC?? Im in the PA mountains so it will be solely a woods machine, which the reduced width would be nice, I just don't want to give up on other areas to loose the width.

#2 ·
I'm satisfied so far! The only difference is shorter a arms and yes u do lose about an inch of clearance but I'm still satisfied

#3 ·
I got my Xxc in September while we were in Utah ATVing and are very pleased with it. We have about 350 miles on it now and the only time clearance has been an issue is twice we have high centered on knife edge sand dunes when we let our speed get down. I have recently put a 4k Warn winch on the front and a old 2k Warn on the back for our sand riding. I don't see any problem in the woods or desert riding we've done. It is a great machine with so much power it is a blast to hill climb in the sand but also with a very good ride. We have kept our old 50 inch RZR for the really tight trail riding we do a lot of in Utah and also our home state Oregon.

#4 ·
I sure hope we can get more reply's to post like these come closer to spring time?? I know there are a lot of us ready to pull the trigger on a mav, just waiting closer to nicer weather! Maybe get on some of the spring deals some of the dealers will offer! All the post i read about the XXC, there doesn't seem to be a lot of info on them! ATVRider has pretty good review on it, might be worth checking out! I've been hearing good and bad about them, some say the loose a little because less travel, others say the lower ground clearance makes it feel more sticky to the ground.. Really i think its going to be hard to compare unless you ride both, in the same terrain, feel the difference, But i know there are those few out there that have sold they're 13 to get a 14 xxc. They would be the ones to really talk to!

#5 · (Edited)
so far I love it. Being lower probably helps the handling but hurts in majorly deep ruts. But I have not gotten stuck so far, dragged the bottom on some ruts a few times but not enough to slow me down. But I don't do mud pits either!

Update 2016/01/21: I was having problems with stability at speed with the xxc and the suspension was not great in the rough stuff. I converted it to xrs suspension last year and love it much more than before. Great ride and stable.

#6 ·
I love mine for where I ride. I do drag sometimes but i plan on jacking the shocks up a little and when its time for new tires I'll probably go wit 28" or at least a true 27". Just not many options in that size in 12"

#7 ·
I love my XXC. Have put 1400 miles since November riding in upstate NY as well as Hatfield McCoy. I have not come across any ground clearance issues as of yet but I am not one looking for deep mud holes either! Great machine to ride HMC trails. Seems to get less muddy than with riding wider Maverick.
I wasn't very pleased with adjustments capabilities of original 2.0 shocks. I got them re-valved and what an improvement. Fantastic ride even over rough terrain.
Very stable to ride even in high speed corners…
I have just checked ball joints / bushings last week and all are still super tight despite some pretty hard riding!!! Very pleased.

#8 ·
HMC is some great ridding! are a lot of the trails open for sxs now? I haven't been there in years and it was on a quad, but some of the trails were atv only. Do they have a width limit for sxs?

#9 ·
I have primarily been riding Pochahontas, indian ridge and pinnacle creek as well as outlaw trails. I can think of only a handful of trails that are not sxs friendly. There is so much riding available. Just rode 300 miles this past weekend; Condition were great and so much fun with snow covered roads! :)

#10 ·
I went ahead and got an xxc about a month ago. Very happy with it so far especially the handling on tight trails. I've noticed some chassis lean on high speed turns that's a little unnerving, it may be just getting used to how the rear suspension works vs basic a-arm setups. I don't think the stock tire/wheel combo helps this sensation. I have some 14" wheels and shorter stiffer sidewall tires coming that should really help the high speed handling. But overall it seems like a great go-fast trail machine!!

#13 ·
I got it done through someone my dealer works with in Clifton Park I think. Where are you at? I guess all he does are shocks primarily for sleds and dirt bikes.
I changed the single dampening adjustment the stock 2.0 shock had and now have both low and high speed dampening adjustment and we added an extra shim to the rebound to slow it down and cut back on the bucking issue. Made huge improvements in the overall ride comfort, but also performance at higher speed. Very happy with the modifications.
My dealer is Seymours' motorized sports in Cohoe NY. If you ask for Andrea, she can get in touch with Shocks guy.

#21 ·
That's great knowing there is some upgrading people can do for the shocks to improve the xxc at higher speeds!! its Crazy we're even having this discussion, Anyone who ride's the east coast trails, this should be a no brainer that the xxc will fit the needs better than a xrs! Look at how many people spend big money on the kits for the 900xp to take it from 64" to 60"!! Or like in my area, most buy a rzrS because we need a sxs that is nimble and fit through tight woods. Can am was nice enough to give us the option on how we ride! Spring is getting here soon, and I need to make a choice, The more I read, the more I lean to a 60"

Reactions: 1976hokie
#22 ·
The XXC is a great ride overall; I have good ground clearance for the most part. I have installed UHMW skid plate from UTV factory and couldn't be any happier.
The 60" is fast and nimble and yet very comfortable through the tight trails. The only part where a rzr is tad bit better is when squeezing in between 2 trees with tires rubbing on each side; if the ground is uneven for any reason, the body of the xxc or rear fender will rub against a tree. Even tho I could fit my wheels in between the trees, I tore up a fender against one of the trees! My friend when through with 60" rzr without any issues because their body is narrower; That is about the only advantage I could give to the rzr!
The xxc is a great machine for riding narrow trails in the woods; It is a blast to run at Hatfield McCoy.

#24 ·
VT riding: mostly southern and central VT. I haven't been up north yet! Ride Bennington trails, Wood lawn, Bmac, trails of central Vermont quad runners in Pitsfield / stockbridge area (member of this club) and have also gone to West Fairlee as well.
Rode just about 4000 mi in 2013 in between my quad and maverick! Where are you at?

#28 ·
Im from VT. Give me a shout any time any one is riding around VT.

#25 ·
The 60" is fast and nimble and yet very comfortable through the tight trails. The only part where a rzr is tad bit better is when squeezing in between 2 trees with tires rubbing on each side; if the ground is uneven for any reason, the body of the xxc or rear fender will rub against a tree. Even tho I could fit my wheels in between the trees, I tore up a fender against one of the trees! My friend when through with 60" rzr without any issues because their body is narrower; That is about the only advantage I could give to the rzr!
See that's kinda what has me tore between the two. I'm used to a narrow body with the tires sticking out giving me only so many options where to go and not body roll into a tree. One guy rode with us, had an rzr S with different wheels, stuck him out to just shy of 64", and he loves it, night and day 4" made on his rzr, and can fit it on trails just as well as before! The lower stance of the xxc sure makes it seems like it would crawl around the woods nice, I did stop and look at the 2 side by side. The XRS does look bigger, even though the body's are the same!! I think I'm just going to have to flip a quarter LOL!! Dam you can am, why did you have to give me choices where I have to make a decision!! haha

#26 · (Edited)
If your friend is riding with a 64 inch wide rzr you will have no issues at all going where he goes on a 60" wide XXC. If you are riding where the difference in body between the XXC and the stock RZR-s between trees is a big factor then you probably need to look at a 50" wide SxS. We just bought ours 2 weeks ago. We ride with a RZR-S and go everywhere they go with no issues so far. I looked really hard at the RZR S and had intended to buy one. Then I found out about the XXC. You get more horsepower and a much more comfortable seat and cabin on the Can Am over the RZR. I am impressed so far with the build quality.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.