Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the risk of being flamed for even asking:

I use my Max in my neighborhood, and running people around at events where we limit speeds to 20 in the pits-

So I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for getting or make-it-myself a quieter exhaust sleeve I could slip on easily to accommodate these needs and just slip off when its go time.

Thoughts? Having a conversation driving through pits has its merits. Screaming "look at that hottie" is neither discreet or cool.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
The exhaust is actually pretty quiet if you are only cruising under 20MPH. The noise is from the engine. I suggest you put some heat/sound barrier on your interior panels and then re-install the foam dampening material on top of it. It will not make it golf cart quiet, but it will help out quite a bit. Here are a few pics of what I did to mine....

IMG_0346.jpg IMG_0345.jpg IMG_0344.jpg IMG_0342.jpg IMG_0341.jpg IMG_0340.jpg

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, thank you! I just assumed the exhaust would be the culprit. I will get on that!

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Have someone drive by you at a slow cruise....you will see it is pretty quite compared to a lot of things. It is noisy in the cab at any speed....

·
Registered
367 Posts
^^^what heavy said^^^
The exhaust is very subdued on these machines.
Its The cockpit noise you're hearing and after speaking with 2 different companies that do sound deadening its not worth the money to try and rectify the cab noise.
B-Quiet sound deadening material was very helpful but didn't want my money.

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
My buddy bought the blanket that goes over the center console and it really helps. After covering my inner with sound deadner I found that the gearshift slots let out most if the noise so I took a piece of black foam pipe insulation, cut it to fit around the override switch, then transferred the shift pattern to it. Cut the top of the pipe just like the pattern, On the bottom side I just cut a slit for travel and it made all the difference! Now I can hear conversation and music

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
My buddy bought the blanket that goes over the center console and it really helps. After covering my inner with sound deadner I found that the gearshift slots let out most if the noise so I took a piece of black foam pipe insulation, cut it to fit around the override switch, then transferred the shift pattern to it. Cut the top of the pipe just like the pattern, On the bottom side I just cut a slit for travel and it made all the difference! Now I can hear conversation and music
Play DOH- great idea- do you have any photos?

·
Registered
367 Posts
yes,pics please!

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
X3 gotta see what your talking about. I think I got it but pics will help.

I agree, a lot of noise does come up thru the shifter cut out area.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
yeah pictures please!

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
Keep getting Pm's on the shifter silence modification, so here we go
Start with Armacell pipe insulation it's squishier than most. I don't know if it's at the big chain stores or not, I just happen to be getting samples from them for an unrelated job. I wouldn't go with that styrofoam type stuff as it will just flake away over time image.jpg
Cut a piece about this long and remove the shift gate so you can access the bottom. Cut a section out that will go around the override switch. image.jpg
Flip over and mark out the shift pattern while holding in place. Remove insulation, using blades, cut the pattern out about 1/4" wide for the shifter rod. image.jpg
Using two sided tape or glue finalize the foam in place and slice the bottom portion of the pipe insulation in a single straight line not like the top, this will give the sealing from the upper section. Bolt down as quickly as possible so everything stays in place.
image.jpg
No more heat or noise

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
nice idea...I might try messing around with a piece of flat foam as I think it may be easier to work with than the round pipe insulating foam....

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Great idea. I would think the foam would need to be neoprene (like the pipe insul) or something similar to remain pliable.

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
nice idea...I might try messing around with a piece of flat foam as I think it may be easier to work with than the round pipe insulating foam....
I tried the flat foam first and by the time you cut out the zig zag the heat and sound come right through. This gives a double seal using one piece. Lots of testing on this

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I tried the flat foam first and by the time you cut out the zig zag the heat and sound come right through. This gives a double seal using one piece. Lots of testing on this
Thanks....didn't know that. I appreciate the heads up and saving me the hassle of learning the hard way :smile:

·
Registered
400 Posts
any one have comment for using this to isolate noise and heat from center console area?

Thermo-Tec 14130 - Thermo-Tec Thermo-Guard FR Heat Shields

1 - 20 of 34 Posts