81 - 100 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
mod stock...lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah, you've got to let that air out somewhere, and as unrestricted as possible when running serious upgrades. Same thing goes for cars/trucks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Anyone try the GGB XT exhaust?

Installed in February. A decent exhaust for the $$. A little louder than I was expecting based on videos. Wish it was a little quieter at low RPM.

My 15 yr old likes it vs stock so I guess thats all that matters...

I
Thanks for the feedback. I am in Canada and this seems to be the only exhaust I could find that doesn't cost an arm.

Have you connected it to the stock pipe and do you know how heavy this thing is?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have the evo cat delete and evo magnum muffler and stage 3r- 91 tune, was told if I went to stock muffler I should change the tune back down?? it is louder than stock but doesn't seem too loud so far, it's a deeper sound. The stock muffler definitely restricts flow, smaller inlet pipe too.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Anyone try the GGB XT exhaust?

Installed in February. A decent exhaust for the $$. A little louder than I was expecting based on videos. Wish it was a little quieter at low RPM.

My 15 yr old likes it vs stock so I guess thats all that matters...

I
Thanks for the feedback. I am in Canada and this seems to be the only exhaust I could find that doesn't cost an arm.

Have you connected it to the stock pipe and do you know how heavy this thing is?
Never weighed em but it is noticeably lighter than stock. I would think anything is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know this forum is mostly about aftermarket exhausts but for people looking to make their own I highly recommend this muffler - cheap and only a touch louder at idle and low rpm compared to stock. I cut apart a stock muffler and after seeing no room for improvement I went with this and am very happy - too large to effectively do a center exit though.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
stock muffler is easy to make high flow
cut off input side and add bypass hole
does not get any easier

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
stock muffler is easy to make high flow
cut off input side and add bypass hole
does not get any easier
I'm a bit lost. How does the bypass hole create more flow?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
it bypasses the muffler baffles
at idle and low rpm the flow is oem path
but as the restriction builds in the stock muffler
the flow finds the short cut to the outlet

·
Registered
385 Posts
I am done with my loud exhaust and hopefully found the unicorn quiet exhaust. Ended up going with the new EVO Bullet cat bypass pipe and the original Yoshimura slip on muffler.

The EVO Bullet has a small muffler that apparently takes some of the "bite" out of doing a straight pipe so hoping this would help some too with a muffler setup, especially if packing starts to go later. Was truly impressed with the quality of the EVO pipe welds and they have a good video about the little things in its design that make it unique so seems a lot of thought put into it. Nice they incorporate a rounded pipe end so don't use the big clunky stock exhaust gasket.

The Yoshimura slip on I got is the original triangle stacked 3 outlet that I think has always been the best looking exhaust, so much that I had my last exhaust custom made with similar triple tip. It was too much $$$$ for just a slip on but since they released a new version recently I got it for almost half price! Still not a cheap setup but somewhat reasonable. Once I noticed the complaints about it were that it sounds the same as stock I now thought, PERFECT!!!! LOL. It's design is a straight through glass packed design so surprised it is as quiet as it is. It does change the flow direction more than most and the separate spark arrestor chamber might act as an expansion chamber to help too. I will say it was a bit of a pain to assemble this exhaust and the bag of parts for a muffler was kinda stupid as could have been assembled without one pipe attached ready to install in same box. It does have a lot of nice rubber bushing mounts so this is nice to avoid weld cracks etc. simpler exhausts seem to have long term. I really wanted a non-packed chambered exhaust but few options there. I was considering the quieter versions of Treal and GBB but mounting method and some quality issues turned me away. Also wanted to keep the center exit even though I wonder if a side exit might not resonate in the cab as much at speed perhaps.

Only install issue I had was the stock springs were a PITA. Realized just leaving the muffler un-mounted and the mid pipe, etc. loose like should be allowed me to create some angle for each of the four springs so that the clip points were much closer together. The Yoshi came with a spring puller tool but it still barely held up to what was needed to stretch the stock springs a short distance. I kept the stock muffler mount plate above the rear diff as was previously using it to hold a catch can and I just cut the ends of it off to access the install bolts much easier, but normally its removed.

My sound meter had me at 104dB previously at idle and am now at 96 about 3ft away from back which is almost twice as "quiet" on the dB scale. This is without the spark arrestor which interestingly my meter said made no difference at 3ft but actually 2bB more with it installed from the drivers seat. Will see how this holds up over time and if truly does not bother me anymore but it does seem similar to stock sound from what I remember ...

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I have this exact same setup. When I went and got a courtesy sound check by the US FS. It was 103dB at 20inchs and 2500 RPM. Over the limit of 96dB.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have this exact same setup. When I went and got a courtesy sound check by the US FS. It was 103dB at 20inchs and 2500 RPM. Over the limit of 96dB.
Got my first extended ride in yesterday with this setup and the sound does seems to open a bit once get off idle but up in the 5k cruising range seems fairly quite or at least the sound does not resonate at speed in the cab. I also did the 20in 45 degree test and got about 100dB at idle. It is still just so much more quiet than what I had and first time was able to not wear a helmet, headset, and/or earplugs and no ear ring or discomfort at all ... mostly hear intake and clutch noise now when moving even though have done everything there too already.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Yeah. The clutch and intake don't help the situation. My only concern with my setup is, as always, getting a ticket. IMO, I believe the CAT delete is what push the sound above the legal limit but I haven't proved that theory yet.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Yeah, would think the cat delete even with the bullet muffler is still a bit more sound than the stock cat. For curious others, the bullet exhaust had a single flow straightener going down the middle of it and perforated tube similar to how any standard straight through muffler is designed. Not sure if they put packing in the bullet also but if they do and its fiberglass rather than stainless steel wool it wont last long I don't think being that close to the turbo (same with my previous exhaust and packing pretty much gone).

I took dB reading with just the EVO Bullet pipe attached and it was 110 dB at idle from 3ft, but I suspect it needs a bit more tubing on outlet to really do anything like when have a straight pipe and having another muffler apply some back pressure might also make it much more effective ... don't know. It might be worth mentioning too they do now offer a high flow cat pipe so maybe that would have truly been the unicorn quiet exhaust, but I have just never liked the heat a cat will make in general but suspect theirs is much less since high flow.

81 - 100 of 117 Posts