Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

61 - 80 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I saw a video last night on youtube that might shed some light on this debate on stock vers modified exhaust....
I'm not going to post a link for political reasons here if your on youtube you can find it at D andy off road one car is mostly stock stage 3 91 tune and one is a stage 4 95 tune with a lot of upgrades and the performance in a head to head sand drag is almost identical????

I have seen Mgrotel post many times about not needing a high dollar exhaust and this was really the first time I have seen any real life proof that he might be right on a Dyno things can be manipulated and there are so many variable's temp tire size air intake altitude clutching to push number's to favorable results this video is in no way scientific but it does make you wonder if swapping the exhaust to a aftermarket system is really going to give you any big gains up to a stage 3 or 4 tune??????

This is just a personal opinion not proof one way or the other as to what works best I believe the limiting factor in the video really comes down to the air intake not the tune or exhaust system?????
Intake is definately a bigger bottleneck than the factory can on the X3. You can “feel” the difference with a new intake. Why I cant see dropping a grand on a new pretty exhaust.

·
Premium Member
7,442 Posts
I saw a video last night on youtube that might shed some light on this debate on stock vers modified exhaust....
I'm not going to post a link for political reasons here if your on youtube you can find it at D andy off road one car is mostly stock stage 3 91 tune and one is a stage 4 95 tune with a lot of upgrades and the performance in a head to head sand drag is almost identical????

I have seen Mgrotel post many times about not needing a high dollar exhaust and this was really the first time I have seen any real life proof that he might be right on a Dyno things can be manipulated and there are so many variable's temp tire size air intake altitude clutching to push number's to favorable results this video is in no way scientific but it does make you wonder if swapping the exhaust to a aftermarket system is really going to give you any big gains up to a stage 3 or 4 tune??????

This is just a personal opinion not proof one way or the other as to what works best I believe the limiting factor in the video really comes down to the air intake not the tune or exhaust system?????
I appreciate this actually, I watched the same video. While I do not think a fancy exhaust is necessary, in a turbo application having the least amount of exhaust backpressure is going to benefit power since the turbo has less "pushback". I just do not think it is necessary given the cost/noise part of it, but that is up to the individual. Then there is the factor that people are different and like different sounds. About the video, in my opinion, the difference between the two is one is a canned tune meant to work across all X3's and one is an actual dyno tune specific to that car. If you take the car that has the canned tune and give it to the tuner to do a dyno tune specific to that car, then I do believe the results would be different. Dyno tunes specific to any car will always be better. That is my experience anyway.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Not to derail but how do you like the stage 2 AA tunes? I have been looking into them and there isn’t much feedback out there yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So far I like it it really changed how the unit drives. Although I must say the throttle is what I'm having to relearn. Its a night and day difference. I will let you know more when I get some more wheel time with it. I am also thinking of an intake. Are yall talking about modifying the stock air box or a complete intake? TIA -JMAC

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
You should look into AA’s intake since you are running their tunes. And I think their filter setup is far better than similar setups out there.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yes!.....my Treal Sport exhaust took 23lbs off the car (the stock muffler is ridiculously heavy)
How do you feel about the sound level with the sport version? How much louder is it compared with stock? The real question is how much louder it is compared with the trail version Treal makes.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
How do you feel about the sound level with the sport version? How much louder is it compared with stock? The real question is how much louder it is compared with the trail version Treal makes.
Big difference, trail edition uses a bigger 5" resonator and a bigger muffler. But I've had problems with the brackets braking. They need to be bigger/ better. I do ride through a lot of whoops which doesn't help.

·
Registered
170 Posts
For over a thousand bucks new you would think it would be stronger than stock. Brackets breaking on a unit that weighs 20lbs less than stock is simply unacceptable.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Couldn't agree more ! I took both of the brackets after the second one broke and welded them back together then welded the two together, hoping this works.
20190413_164613.jpg
20190413_180110.jpg

·
Registered
331 Posts
Anyone ever try a diamond s? Titanium setup that doesn't seem too loud in videos.

Steve

·
Registered
198 Posts
Anyone ever try a diamond s? Titanium setup that doesn't seem too loud in videos.

Steve
I'm interested in this exhaust too, would love to hear from someone that has one.
It is hard to tell from the video how loud it is, however I like that it has no packing to burn out.

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
I ride every so often with the owner of Diamond S here in Utah. I haven’t ever heard one on the X3 though. He has a rzr he drives. The exhaust he has built on that doesn’t seem to be very load. Not obnoxious at all

·
Registered
385 Posts
The Diamond S seems very promising to me. I have always thought that to smooth out all the turbulence that comes out the small X3 turbo and thus make it not as loud will need an extreme direction change/chambers in the flow path like stock has and appears this muffler has that, so some confidence it might not be loud. The video seems not too loud to me also but hard to tell.

I say the above as I have an Unobtanium exhaust that I worked with them on during its release for a special version to try and make it not as loud. In the end we went with a larger diameter and longer muffler but it is still a straight through flow path and certainly loud still. It has small openings and packing like many exhausts but these straight flow path type are loud in general. Its a really nice exhaust as all titanium from tip up to turbo flex tube so lightest out there. If I was doing this project over again I would be seeing if could get this Diamond S muffler and have Unobtanium integrate it into their full exhaust or having them replicate the stock chambered muffler essentially minus packing.

·
Official Site Vendor
6,770 Posts
Couldn't agree more ! I took both of the brackets after the second one broke and welded them back together then welded the two together, hoping this works.
View attachment 235527
View attachment 235529
I got hold of Joe from Treal and this was his response:

"We never really had many issues with the bracket. But we had a run of them that got made out of a thinner material. Which I eventually caught and fixed. Before that only ones that were breaking were not installed correctly. But if someone contacts me with a broken bracket I always warranty them. It’s something I will be looking into more though. We are always willing to take care of anyone with issues."

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I got hold of Joe from Treal and this was his response:

"We never really had many issues with the bracket. But we had a run of them that got made out of a thinner material. Which I eventually caught and fixed. Before that only ones that were breaking were not installed correctly. But if someone contacts me with a broken bracket I always warranty them. It’s something I will be looking into more though. We are always willing to take care of anyone with issues."

Yes Joe has taken care of me as I have been in touch with him on this matter . The last time this happened I didn't have time to wait for a replacement part . All of my bracket's were of the thicker material . But in my opinion still inadequate for what they are trying to support. I'm very hard on my equipment, I go over whoops like I'm on my dirt bike.

·
Registered
331 Posts
i have(had) a diamond s on on my snowmobile, it was no different. glad to hear that the x3 version isnt loud either. i too, like the center exit and have no reason to buy the diamond s, but that titanium sure is sexy!

steve

61 - 80 of 117 Posts