Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can not get the lower rear gusset plate installed. I got one side installed but then the holes on the other side don't line up. They are about 1/8" off, so can't get the bolt installed. Plus it looks like the flanges are bent a little too narrow.
Anyone else have this problem?

UTV inc, I need some help with this.

·
Premium Member
8,277 Posts
mine went on with a little tapping of the hammer. The Inc will not be open untill 8am tomorrow. take a picture and post it, so we can see if you are doing it wrong.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I also had gently tap it with a hammer to get into place. That piece is not directional is it?
It's in place with the flanges downward and with the bolt in place on the passenger side, the holes on the drivers side don't line up with the welded factory flange holes. About 1/8" short.
I'm using my iPhone so I will see if I can figure out how to post a picture

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
get the bolt started on one side and use screwdriver to line up the wholes on the other and hammer tap , and bam lol

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
get the bolt started on one side and use screwdriver to line up the wholes on the other and hammer tap , and bam lol
I would if that was possible. With one bolt in place, the other side is at least 1/8" off. So I can't get a bolt started. After a good nights sleep, the only thing I can do is elongate the holes enough to get the bolt thru. Then weld up the other side of the holes.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
How about taking a sacrificial bolt, and grind a little taper on it. Hammer it in, and then use the good bolt to drive it out.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Also, when I was doing my front plate install, one of the four holes wasn't lining up too good. I was able to pry on it a little with a tapered punch in the hole.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I"ll try a long tapered punch to see if that will pull it into place. But I still think its off way too much. Lets hope it works

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the tapered punch was not able to move it into place. I also tried it in the other direction just in case but that didn't work either. So I used a rotary file to elongate the holes. Then welded in the bolt hole on the opposite side of the hole. In essence, this relocated the bolt holes. I then hand filed the holes to size so the bolts would fit. Worked perfect. So problem solved.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
You should still let UTV Inc know about your issue. I just ordered their gusset kit. I hope I don't have any misaligned holes.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You should still let UTV Inc know about your issue. I just ordered their gusset kit. I hope I don't have any misaligned holes.
I thought they would respond based on the thread title. FYI, it was the piece that goes across on the lower rear front A-arms.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Also, when I was doing my front plate install, one of the four holes wasn't lining up too good. I was able to pry on it a little with a tapered punch in the hole.
same thing for me top right hole

·
Official Site Vendor
6,218 Posts
I havent been on the forums as of late due to employee issues and having to fill multiple roles. Just got an email on this so I will touch on it.

This is the first issue we have heard of the rear not fitting, email me your name and address and I will send out a new one. Could be bent wrong? Could have moved in the laser and cut the holes off? Could be your machine? I do not know, but I will happily send out a replacement to see if that fixes the issue on your machine. I will have the guys on Monday test fit the ones we have in stock here on the jig to see if it is an isolated issue.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
No worries, I don't know why the holes on that one piece were so far off, but no big deal because I got it fixed and now it's installed!!! I will post up some pictures next week when I'm back at work. I believe these cars are not exactly the same.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Mine was just like this, took considerable work and a bit of grinding to get it to fit...mine was probably not quite an 1/8 off though.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Hey guys if you have issues with your gussets, please email UTV Inc about the issue. These vendors are not always monitoring the forums and they could miss this important stuff. If they get 2 or 3 emails complaining about the same thing, I'm sure they are going to take a more detail look into there manufacturing process to see if something changed unknowingly. I emailed Nick about desertdog's problem. He replied to this forum within 5-10 minutes after I sent him the email.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The UTV inc offer to replace the part is what we as customer's like to see in our vendors when we have a problem with their parts. That's what customer service should look like. Thanks for the offer, it's greatly appreciated and not needed since I got it fixed.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
mine went on with a little tapping of the hammer. The Inc will not be open untill 8am tomorrow. take a picture and post it, so we can see if you are doing it wrong.
Its all fixed now but here is what I was talking about:
Holes not aligned.jpg
Welded up holes.jpg
Grinded flat.jpg
After grinding the weld flat, I filed the holes for clearance and then painted black.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Well I got my gusset kit yesterday and decided to install it today. I started with the rear lower support first because I saw on this forum that desertdog was having a problem. Well I have at least one of the same issues. My support is too narrow. So narrow I could not get it to fit over my A-arm mounts. I tried to spread the tabs apart buying taking a long bolt with some nut and washers. It help but the support would not fit over the bracket enough to align any of the holes. The problem is the tabs are too narrow at the fold of the support. Now I could take a sledge hammer and force it but I don't want to risk damaging other parts. This bracket should be designed to have a slight clearance fit and allow the bolt to squeeze the tabs tight.

I emailed UTV Inc. today about the issue so I will wait for their reply.

UTVINC_front_rear_lower_support_pic1.jpg front_rear lower_A-arm_mounts.jpg

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
at the bend its to narrow huh , I thought maybe a tab got bent in but no huh

mine 6 months ago fit perfect !

1 - 20 of 79 Posts