Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So that's the million dollar question, how important are beat locks? The XRS has them of course, but when people put aftermarket on unless they race they seem to not worry about it. Or am I wrong?

·
Vendor
594 Posts
So that's the million dollar question, how important are beat locks? The XRS has them of course, but when people put aftermarket on unless they race they seem to not worry about it. Or am I wrong?
I race and I don't use them, never knocked a tire. Too much extra unsprung weight and added weight to hold back performance.

I would only use them if I was in the rocks.

My Mav has them of course so they will stay for now.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Very important if you run low air pressure. I've never had a problem not running them. But when you have them, you don't have to worry if you need to air down. And also nice to get you back to camp if you have a flat tire or a ruined tire and don't have a spare. Without the Bealock, if you have a flat tire the tire will fall off the rim if you try to keep riding. With a Beadlock, you just need to keep your speed up and the tire will actually expand and be the same diameter as the good tires.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I agree with Glamisfan.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Exactly. For the average rider they are not necessary. But like Glamis said, if you run low air psi and/or like to bounce off the rocks they are a must. The extra material around the bead surface of a beadlock & clamping the tire to the wheel can be a difference in a good day off riding or a bad day. I tend to see a few tires knocked off each season in the sand because of low air psi & a hard hit where it probably wouldn't of happened if they used beadlocks.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I've seen several tires popped off of non bead lock rims in the sand because of exactly what you and Steve just said. Ask Mega how to seat a tire bead out in the dunes with a can of starting fluid. LOL

·
Registered
91 Posts
A buddy of mine knocked his right front off the bead last Saturday. We were going up a rough off camber hill with a deep rut on the right side and a left turn in it also. I didn't have a problem as I have beadlocks. My friend in an XP wasn't so lucky. He was running 8# in his and it still broke down.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I lost my left rear bead even with bead locks. When I got it home I pumped the tire to 15 PSI to reseat and then dropped the pressure to 7 PSI, tire holds air now. I then had to torque the beadlock studs, they were all loose on every tire. I think that will be a pre ride check every time.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Also if your worried about the extra weight of the rim from the beadling ring. You can always get the hiper beadlocks. They weigh less than a cast alum non beadlock rim.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I feel Beadlocks are very Important to have on an offroad vehicle. I cannot recall how many times I have knocked a tire off of a conventional rim over the years.

·
Registered
684 Posts
desertdog, or Glamisfan, I just bought a set of 26x12.5 skat trak and 27x9 smoth buff. I chose not to run beadlock. I will be running them on douglas 530's. My ? for you guys is what pressure would you run in these as to not have problems and also get good performance from the purchase? I will be runnning them on the Oregon coast.
Thanks guys

·
Registered
684 Posts
I get mine this week, but I won't use them for a while. A guess would to run them at 8 psi?
Thanks Glamisfan, I will run that at dunefest at the end of the month. We run 5psi front and rear on the quads and never have had a problem. I can see the extra 3psi because of the weight of the Maverick. The sand is really soft this time of year and only getting softer.
There is really nothing solid out there to break the bead which is why I chose to save some money not getting beadlocks.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Hmmm.... If it was me, I'd run 7 psi in the front, or maybe 8. And try 10 psi in the rear. I'd run that in the rear for about 20 minutes. Also race someone up a hill and count the car lengths you beat him by. Then try 8 psi and do the same. I wouldn't go lower then 7 without beadlocks.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Hmmm.... If it was me, I'd run 7 psi in the front, or maybe 8. And try 10 psi in the rear. I'd run that in the rear for about 20 minutes. Also race someone up a hill and count the car lengths you beat him by. Then try 8 psi and do the same. I wouldn't go lower then 7 without beadlocks.
I agree. Too much tire roll with less than 8 psi. Also take notice of the sand. I would think the sand at the coast would allow more psi since it may have moisture in it, or be dense & courser grit.

·
Registered
221 Posts
get in the habbit of checking ur bead lock bolts on a regular baisess. thats the only down side i see with bead locks other wise i love them saved me so many times when i slam into sonthing sideways. I will be running bead locks ITPs on my paddles STIs soon.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I run around 5lbs on the rear with my beadlocks and love the hookup. If the sand is moist or dense you can run with higher psi and still have hookup. When the sand is dry and powdery or fluffy you will need lower psi for traction.

·
Registered
221 Posts
dang u guys run ur stuff low. i run mine 16psi all day long in the desert. but in the dunes on my stock tires i run 8 front 5 rear.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts