Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did my first short course race this weekend and managed to grenade my front diff. The course that were racing on consists of about 1 mile with a few jumps and nine turns, similar to mxstyle. my question is now that it's time to buy a new front diff should I go back with a standard Visca lock or upgrade to a QE?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Most racers do not prefer the QE bc it reduces steering precision due to the nature of racing your foots always on the floor and wheels are spinning. This causes the QE to engage much more often. Trying to steer a machine while the front wheels are locks is not only more difficult but much less predictable while going fast.

Others may think differently but my preference would be to not use the QE.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is the response that I expected. Thanks for the info, and other input is welcomed

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I think QE would be better IF you had powersteering, since it would be more positive in the turns. Less drift.
Just a thought tho.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would make sure to add PS at the same time as the QE front.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
If your intension is just to race then the standard diff would be my preference. If you also trail ride, climb hills and play in the mud then the QE with PS. Actually PS on either would be mandatory in my book.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Curious, what exactly happened to the front diff? Did the housing crack or what?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont know exactly happened yet. My Visco lock has been giving me trouble for quite some time (not engaging, popping) after the 6 lap qualifier i noticed gear oil under the bike a hole in the housing near the vent tube. I threw a quart of oil in it and ran it for another 12 lap race andstill had 4wd.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I want PS but have a list of mods ahead of it, however i do know with QE its mandatory. I ride in all types of terrain and would like QE in every other situation but at the same time im not wantin to screw up itd racing ability......also id like to mention that i lost to a kitty cat and am not happy at all about it

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
4wd, @ Alex the shocks are on the list but have a lot in front of it

·
Registered
96 Posts
I changed to the qe the day I brought it home, if you think you need the regular one I have no problem parting with it. We ride more mud so qe is a must.

Reactions: PLAY-DOH
1 - 15 of 15 Posts