Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you tried any slow speed crawling with the QE diff? The Visco-lok is speed sensitive so at slow crawling speeds it doesn't lock up until revved to spin the front faster. In Moab I have video of mine taking 10-15 revolutions to lock at slower speeds. Does the QE fix this? Will it lock in sooner at slow speeds? I noticed that the XP's were locking almost instantly even at super slow speeds. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
791 Posts
The QE is a lot better but still not perfect. It starts locking in about half a turn. Talk to mrrpm on here about a front spool he makes if you want a solid locked front diff.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Have any of you tried any slow speed crawling with the QE diff? The Visco-lok is speed sensitive so at slow crawling speeds it doesn't lock up until revved to spin the front faster. In Moab I have video of mine taking 10-15 revolutions to lock at slower speeds. Does the QE fix this? Will it lock in sooner at slow speeds? I noticed that the XP's were locking almost instantly even at super slow speeds. Any help would be great.
Where can I find that Video at?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll try to post it up in a few.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I haven't been up in the rocks yet with the Mav, but trust me I know exactly what your talking about and thats why I have a QE sitting in the garage. I can't tell you how many close calls I had in my Commander on the rocks. As soon as the snow melts in the mountains, I will be installing the QE for my summer rides. The XP 4wd system works way better in the rocks, they just drag & damage the trailing arms.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Here is the video of my Mav in Moab on Prichett.

·
Registered
806 Posts
What a piece of junk. Oh wait, mine is to.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I was doing a little climbing this past weekend and I got in some place's where I had three wheels spinning. Well I was thinking that it was locking up ( suprisingly ) fairly quickly. I had a commander and it did like the mav video.I could be mistaken though.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I installed a QE on my Commander and it does make a difference. It's much more predictable and engauges much quicker. The issue with the standard unit is it tends to engauge at the wrong time. When you need it to engauge it does not and then all of a sudden it does. It has put me in positions I did not want like climbing up the side of a berm on a hill climb almost putting me on my side.

·
Registered
806 Posts
It will throw you to the side if your not carefull. I wish it had a manual locker.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
QE stands for quick engagement, its a different carrier for the front diff. It locks in within 3-4 rev versus the standard visco lock whick engages 7-? revs. Most don't need it, but if you ride or crawl in the rocks,mud, etc it is a necessity.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Hmm! My QE engages in less than one revolution not 3 or 4. The standard diff typically takes 3 or 4.
Mine takes 30 or 40. I think it's actually a speed thing and not really the actual amount of revolutions. I can sit on a hill with little throttle and it will spin all day long, or bump it and it will engage after a couple of turns.

·
Registered
806 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts