Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best size tire and paddle combination out there? I'm still stock at this point, but plan on a QSC and STM before the fall. Ran a set of DWT 8 paddles 25.5 last year, but was not that impressed.

Thoughts

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
25'' or 26'' paddle is all u need

popular new size from skat trak is 26.5x12x12 (8 paddle is plenty )

stayaway from the doonz

best brand would be skat trak and people like stu's

I run a 25x10x12 8 paddle skat and it pulls hard 3-4 bikes to 70 over a stock mav

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
25'' or 26'' paddle is all u need

popular new size from skat trak is 26.5x12x12 (8 paddle is plenty )

stayaway from the doonz

best brand would be skat trak and people like stu's

I run a 25x10x12 8 paddle skat and it pulls hard 3-4 bikes to 70 over a stock mav
X2. I just got the Skat 26x12.5x12 eight paddle. Stu's are too expensive, and not quite as fast as the Skat's.

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
let me help you svae some coin. DONT buy any just yet. wait one season for the Maverick to be used enough by the public to get opinion on different styles and types of paddle tires.

I made 6 trips to Glamis last season with stock knobbies and went every where i wanted to go and had ZERO issues dunning in the lead and very fast.

Sure paddle tires will let you get a better bite when climbing a hill, but that bite puts more stress on the machine. With paddles you might climb a hill in 2wd that i have to use 4wd and stock knobbies.

I dune fast and agressive with my stock tires. I can stop at the bottom of China wall and make it up about 3/4 of the way, but if a get a little run through the woops at the bottom i fly up it with ease.

The only down falls i found with knobbies are sand gets thrown at you from the front tires and knobbies in the sand just dont look as cool as paddle tires and smoothies.

In the end i will eventually have paddles and smoothies myself but i am waiting to see what really works.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I have ran scat's and this year I'm going to try the STU blasters. However, I did run anywhere I wanted with the stock BH's with 5lbs of pressure.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I've got stu blasters they are the best sand tire I've ever ran
Have you ran any others? If so what type? What was the difference or what makes you like the blasters better?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
My personal preference is not smooth buffs up front. I don't think they turn as well as other tires. I prefer ribs of some sort up front.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
stock tires weights almost double what a skat weights much less rotating mass to turn , much easier for ur machine to turn ,

and of course people can make it on stock tires thru the dunes I seen rhinos go thru there with stock tires, its about how fast ur making it thru and what your temp gauge says or belt gauge lol !

·
Registered
6,621 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
I can tell you this. STU's rob a ton of power. I had a set on my Commander and got rid of them after 2 dune trips. I'll never own another set.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Ok this conversation is getting old. 7 or 8 paddle Skat Trak will be just right. forget those STU over weight over Paddle tires.A Lite weight 7 or 8 Skats will be all any one needs. I make 120hp to the tire and 8s work great or maybe a 9. maybe ??? You guys are maybe putting down 70HP on a good day so realistically all u need is 7 or 8 to be real Happy happy Happy,. more paddle is not needed believe me. Rotating mass and the drag of each paddle scooping sand per revolution is something to be considered. call Tim at GoGo Performance in Phx Az for your Skats and ask him for the straight up no BS Skinny on the paddle tire Deal. I know human nature loves a good Marketing sales PITCH But really Guys get past it and listen to reason. Just speakin from Experience. I aint sellin you shit.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Ok this conversation is getting old. 7 or 8 paddle Skat Trak will be just right. forget those STU over weight over Paddle tires.A Lite weight 7 or 8 Skats will be all any one needs. I make 120hp to the tire and 8s work great or maybe a 9. maybe ??? You guys are maybe putting down 70HP on a good day so realistically all u need is 7 or 8 to be real Happy happy Happy,. more paddle is not needed believe me. Rotating mass and the drag of each paddle scooping sand per revolution is something to be considered. call Tim at GoGo Performance in Phx Az for your Skats and ask him for the straight up no BS Skinny on the paddle tire Deal. I know human nature loves a good Marketing sales PITCH But really Guys get past it and listen to reason. Just speakin from Experience. I aint sellin you shit.

funny - tim knows his shit , I talked to him b4 for a few hours, good guy , has truly tried all the paddles on the maverick to , talked to him 6 years ago about all the paddles for the rhino to

I try telling people all the time 25'' if u want 26'' cuz it makes u feel better fine , lol -, 7 or 8 paddle skats r the best , only half believes me ! lol

I run 25'' - 8 paddle , perfect I think ,

I raced a stock maverick (megadiesel) against my mav with paddles, in the soft sand - as far as I remember - I jumped a car length by 10mph , then by 70mph I was 3-4 cars in front pulling , never tried top speed,

I paid $250 for a perfect used set of skats with buffs !

·
Registered
107 Posts
Where are you guys finding the skats? Rocky mountain doesnt even list a 12 or 14" skat on there site. ..

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
X2. I just got the Skat 26x12.5x12 eight paddle. Stu's are too expensive, and not quite as fast as the Skat's.
What size rims are you mounting your rear paddles on?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts