Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had Shock Therapy gold setup installed of March 2020. Around October I noticed it had settled quite a bit and was sitting pretty low. Measured around 14.5 in the rear with 32 inch tires. Three inches seemed like a whole lot of preload to be cranking into the system, so I called ST to verify and they said it was normal.

One day watching ST Live, Justin mentioned that more than 2" of preload means I probably had the wrong springs. I am at around 5 inches. Stopped by the ST booth at Glamis after that and asked again and they still said everything was fine.

As you can see from the photo, sitting at ride height the divider is hanging below the end of the shock. Wheels off the ground and only about 1/2 inch of the divider is on the shock. Preload from the top of the spring to the hose inlet is 8.5 inches.

For those of you with ST springs, does yours look like this? Do you need to run that much preload?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,813 Posts
IDK, mine never settle like that? Has held the measurement for ever. What's curious is, why aren't there any Shock Therapy markings on your springs?

·
Premium Member
7,723 Posts
Is it the photo or is the heavier spring on the top and the lighter spring on the bottom?

Something is not right because it appears the preload is compressing the lower spring and not the upper spring.

With the lighter spring on top the slider stays higher on the the shock body like you would typically see.

It appears the opposite is what you have.

Tough to tell from a pic though. Tim

·
Premium Member
11,813 Posts
Is it the photo or is the heavier spring on the top and the lighter spring on the bottom?

Something is not right because it appears the preload is compressing the lower spring and not the upper spring.

With the lighter spring on top the slider stays higher on the the shock body like you would typically see.

It appears the opposite is what you have.

Tough to tell from a pic though. Tim
Good catch Tim! I kind of thought that, but I wasn't going to say anything, I wasn't sure. Tough to tell with pics.

Reactions: HPnMORE4J

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
I had the same thought as well about the springs appearing to be reversed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Apparently all four of the springs are the same... only one of them appears to have a part number.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Looks like we have the same car - 2019 RC turbo R 72" except for tires. I am still running the stock 30" Liberty tires.
Rear clearance 16.5".
ST gold set up. Top spring #00257361. Bottom Spring #05257361. You should be able to find a number on the springs.
Based on the info you gave ST they could have set you up with a different spring number. Just letting you know what number springs I have.
From the bottom of the hose inlet to the top of the top spring I measure 9 1/8"
From the bottom of the crossover to the bottom of the top spring I measure 4". Looks like you crossover may be set a little lower.
The preload setting will depend a lot on how much weight you carry in the rear. I have a very full homemade storage box.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
7,723 Posts
With nearly identical part numbers I could see the two being mixed up.

Use the part numbers provided and see if that's the case.

Tim

Reactions: Hollywood X3

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks like we have the same car - 2019 RC turbo R 72" except for tires. I am still running the stock 30" Liberty tires.
Rear clearance 16.5".
ST gold set up. Top spring #005257361. Bottom Spring #05257361. You should be able to find a number on the springs.
Based on the info you gave ST they could have set you up with a different spring number. Just letting you know what number springs I have.
From the bottom of the hose inlet to the top of the top spring I measure 9 1/8"
From the bottom of the crossover to the bottom of the top spring I measure 4". Looks like you crossover may be set a little lower.
The preload setting will depend a lot on how much weight you carry in the rear. I have a very full homemade storage box.

Hope this helps.
This does help! Sounds like you have the same setup as me with all four of the springs the same. Does your spring divider sit at the very bottom or below the shock body?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone! Sounds like canamrc19 has the same setup with even more preload than me, so I’m not gonna worry about it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
All 4 springs are not the same top spring has an extra 0.

I also carry a spare with the Can am rack, smaller tires and the storage box so that would explain more preload.

Check your top spring for # 00257361

·
Premium Member
7,723 Posts
Thanks everyone! Sounds like canamrc19 has the same setup with even more preload than me, so I’m not gonna worry about it.
I suspect you will be in coil bind with that setup at full compression. You have almost no room for the lower spring to compress.

When the shock compresses all the way the spring looks like there is not enough room for the all the coils stacked on each other and they will try to pass each other causing coil bind.

Again from a pic its tough. I would measure that if it were me.

Tim

Reactions: Hollywood X3

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All 4 springs are not the same top spring has an extra 0.

I also carry a spare with the Can am rack, smaller tires and the storage box so that would explain more preload.

Check your top spring for # 005257361
I’m guessing the leading zero doesn’t matter, although I could be wrong. Do you have a pic of the whole shock you can share?

1 - 20 of 110 Posts