Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Fellas,

Long time quad rider looking to get into riding side by sides....Longtime yamaha owner so reliability is important.....For the longest time I figured I would end up in a rzr xp........I had read enough to know that while build quality on the commander is superior to the polaris, the ride on the commander was not what I was looking for....

Arctic released the wildcat and while the suspension travel looks awesome, my riding is trails, logging roads but no dunes..the poor turning radius on the wildcat and sketchy build quality put them further down on the list....I was anxiously awaiting the end of December release by polaris but the jagged x is a let down....same machine but with bng and a bigger price tag, bleh.....

So the maverick gets released and hmmmmmm, it seems like a pretty good unit...however, after riding with power steering on my quad, I refuse to buy anything without power steering...yes, I really like it that much! while the after market will come up with something, I am hoping BRP will release the next mav with power steering....The only other hiccup is the visco lok.....I can't see spending $20,000 (in Canada) and not getting at least the qe but preferably something better.....I am thinking that perhaps BRP will address some of the mav shortcomings when it releases the 4 seater, similar to arctic cats wildcat X.....

Any thoughts from the group when we can expect the power steering and QE to be addressed? I have heard of many issues with the xp so I am reluctant to go that route but I don't want to find myself in a situation where my new pricey side by side can't get me out of the jam because the wheels won't lock quickly enough....some of the youtube vids of the commander are embarassing to BRP....

So it seems like there is no perfect solution out there right now....if yahaha ever comes to the table, there may be an option but realistically for me, its either an xp or maverick (just as soon as BRP deals with some glaring omissions)....

Anyway, trying not to bash but just looking to spend wisely on a purchase...

Best regards to all...

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
It took two years to. Get qe and power steering in the commander. Hopefully it won't take long for Mav

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I find it mind boggling that knowing that their customer base wants these two features, they bring a new unit to market without them.....Sure, I guess they are looking to give people a reason to upgrade but if you are trying to steal market share from the leader, bring out your best....don't save it for another revision....grrrrr....

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
You've got a good plan but you will probably need alot of patience to see it fully executed to your liking. If your not in any hurry then your golden, but if you are willing to adapt then maybe a revised plan is in order. Buy the Maverick, install aftermarket PS and buy a Qe front diff. Even if you wait until Can-am includes these items, the price tag will keep going up so what's the difference?

·
Registered
791 Posts
^^^X2, that is what I am doing. I am going to have my dealer swap the diffs before I take delivery and sell the diff "as New" to recover most of my cost for the QE. I am going to install Easy Steer from Super ATV to take care of the power steering. Seems like nothing but good things to say about the Easy Steer on the commander forums so I figure it's worth a shot.

So at the end of the day : $1400 for QE front diff installed +$650 for easy steer that I will install myself in about three hours -$1000 when I sell my original front diff = $1050 to have power steering and QE on my Maverick. I doubt it will be less than that when it comes out as a factory option. Could save another $200 should I choose to do the diff swap myself as well. I don't believe the install of the QE or power steering will effect my warranty either.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
i dont see power steering in these being needed they turn super easy , real nice steering actually i thought

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I have no need for power steering either . This thing turns WAY easier than my Race Rhino did! I always keep my thumbs out of the steering wheel, but in 300 miles, the steering wheel only jerked out of my hand once!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Hey Cliff, I forgot to wish you "CHEERS" in my last my post.:big smile:

Reactions: Dune64

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess part of the concern is that installing the qe would give the dealer weasel room to get out of warranty repairs. Buying a first year model makes warranty coverage pretty important to me.

I know that they have to prove the part caused the issue but in practice a refusal still happens

·
Registered
2019 max R turbo
846 Posts
The Mav cost 20,000 as it sits now and if BRP were to add all the features that some want but not ALL do then it would surely be 22k plus. Most people who offroad purchase the best vehicle they can and then modify it to suit their needs. Guys buy a 30000 dollar jeep only to add another 15k in the options they want. In other words, you can hope for options from BRP but it is cheaper and easier to get your own custom options now then to continue to wait for what might not ever come from BRP. BRP doesn't void a warranty just cause you modify your vehicle. My commander has been modified from day one and never was denied for warranty work. Of course if my clutch had blew up and I took it in for warranty work then they would have denied it cause it was an aftermarket clutch. But if my motor had issues they would have fixed it.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Desert dog. Thanks for the wishes, you an 80's fan?
Yeah I've been around awhile you could say. Just recognized the name from a great classic.
Also I was saying the same thing as USAGUY is saying. It's just the way it is.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
U r certainly gonna need power steering with the qe, even without the qe after I put the 30 in silverbacks on it was much harder to steer,

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I believe that warranty coverage is largely dependent on the particular dealing. We have all read numerous stories of dealers refusing coverage because the owner has an aftermarket something.

I have owned a skidoo snowmobile and have had much dealing with brp dealers over the years. There are some good ones and som bad ones. Since I do not have the skills to fix myself, I am dependent on the dealer thus I am reluctant to give the dealer any reason to refuse

I expect to have to pay for the features I am looking for but really want it to come from the factory with these two items.

Can I wait? I suppose so. Don't really want to but if something comes out like a new rzr xp,, i will take a good look at it.

Thanks again for all the comments.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts