Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to figure out the differences between the qsc and the stm rage 3. I'm gonna get a whole new clutch primary and secondary (stm gen 2). I can't decide between the two. I have a stock maverick stock tires and ride some sand, gravel trails, and also ride mountain trails. I just want best belt reliability and engine braking. Witch will give lowest gear ratio and best engine braking. Also is the stm rage 6 worth the extra money. Just want the most reliable. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Trying to figure out the differences between the qsc and the stm rage 3. I'm gonna get a whole new clutch primary and secondary (stm gen 2). I can't decide between the two. I have a stock maverick stock tires and ride some sand, gravel trails, and also ride mountain trails. I just want best belt reliability and engine braking. Witch will give lowest gear ratio and best engine braking. Also is the stm rage 6 worth the extra money. Just want the most reliable. Thanks in advance.
The QSC ratio has a lower starting ratio due to the smaller bearing.
I think the engine brake will be better as well because the QSC uses a one way bearing. The sheaves are cast.

The STM is made out of billet aluminum which is a plus if you'd ever do something to your engine which increases power and RPMs.

It's about the same work to change the weights in the flyweights, so there is not much difference.

I had the QSC on my Outlander with a made motor and had over 2000 miles of trouble free riding.
On the Maverick I went with the STM rage 3 (should have bought the rage 6) to check out what it is all about.

So if you don't planning on doing work to your engine, you'd be fine with either one.

If money is no issue, I would get the rage 6 since it will be much easier to get it dialed in just right....the statement on the rage 6 is not first hand experience but that's what I've gathered reading countless threads on this subject and tuning my rage 3.

Alex

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I agree with above. The rage 6 is better IF you plan on adding more power at a later date and you want more adjustability. I have a QSC/STM set up and it is just fine.The rage 6 may also save you a few 10ths of a second if your racing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I ordered the QSC Today, Yves at get-torqed is pretty freakin' awesome. He's gonna take back my CVTech for half of what I paid for it, and he's going to buy back all my weights and springs too. I should be installing the clutch within the next couple of weeks. Can't wait to play with it!

·
Registered
424 Posts
A full STM is the way to go honestly. At least right now.

They have practically the same size bearing also. STM is 45 mm, QSC has 44. That's negligible.

Availability of the QSC is limited. I can have an STM setup shipped tomorrow. QSC..... Not so much. Don't get me wrong QSC is a phenomenal clutch, and QSC as a company is great!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help. I think I'll get the rage 6 and never look back. Who knows may end up with a turbo some day. Kris you got these dialed in ready to bolt on and go.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I know this May sound like a dumb question. I do a lot of trail riding in the summer so would like to get a clutch for that but I do a lot of riding in the winter on the river and am looking to put more power to the ground. Would a clutch help?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I know this May sound like a dumb question. I do a lot of trail riding in the summer so would like to get a clutch for that but I do a lot of riding in the winter on the river and am looking to put more power to the ground. Would a clutch help?
Short simple answer: Yes

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
The QSC ratio has a lower starting ratio due to the smaller bearing.
I think the engine brake will be better as well because the QSC uses a one way bearing. The sheaves are cast.

The STM is made out of billet aluminum which is a plus if you'd ever do something to your engine which increases power and RPMs.

It's about the same work to change the weights in the flyweights, so there is not much difference.

I had the QSC on my Outlander with a made motor and had over 2000 miles of trouble free riding.
On the Maverick I went with the STM rage 3 (should have bought the rage 6) to check out what it is all about.

So if you don't planning on doing work to your engine, you'd be fine with either one.

If money is no issue, I would get the rage 6 since it will be much easier to get it dialed in just right....the statement on the rage 6 is not first hand experience but that's what I've gathered reading countless threads on this subject and tuning my rage 3.

Alex

Alex,

The QSC clutch for the Maverick does have a billet inner sheave. At least all of the newer ones do. I think when they first came out, they did not but since do......

·
Registered
225 Posts
Alex,

The QSC clutch for the Maverick does have a billet inner sheave. At least all of the newer ones do. I think when they first came out, they did not but since do......
Thanks Heavy,

That's news to me. I thought that you'll have to order the billet sheave as an add-on.

Well, I learn something new everyday thanks to the forum.

Alex

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Thanks Heavy,

That's news to me. I thought that you'll have to order the billet sheave as an add-on.

Well, I learn something new everyday thanks to the forum.

Alex

nope, the commander QSC primary did not have a billet inner but they found with the added power of the Maverick, they were seeing failures with the inner sheaves breaking. They have since changed them to billet for the Mavericks which is why they cost a bit more than for the other models...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts