Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just installed a QSC/STM clutch setup on my 2014 Maverick XRS and was hoping to get help tuning them, here is some info about my set up.

QSC Primary:
Out of the box weight setup, tip-3/8" SS, center-1/4"SS, base-empty & cross hole- (2) 3/8"SS
Silver spring with blue strip and (2) aluminum shims behind the spring

STM Secondary:
40EB
Silver spring
(2) Fiber shims

Other info:
Again its a 2014 Maverick XRS with 29.5 tires, I live in Houston,TX so no elevation to worry about, I mainly mud/trail ride in low gear, everything else is stock.

The below video is with the "out of the box set up" which was: tip-3/8" SS, center-1/4"SS, base-empty & cross hole- (2) 3/8"SS

I emailed Adam at QSC this video and this is what he said "I would put the 1/4" SS from the center hole into the base hole and leave the center empty, also put a 1/4" SS in the tip instead of 3/8"SS. The severe drop in rpms at 36mph is from the primary going fully closed. This will always happen at full shift, high or low gears".

So as Adam suggested I changed my weight setup to : tip-1/4" SS, center-empty, base-1/4"SS & cross hole- (2) 3/8"SS. The below videos "setup #2" are of that setup, one was in low gear and one was in high.

Low gear "set up #2"

High gear "set up #2"

So now some questions:

1. What do you guys recommend me do to the weight setup after seeing these videos?
2. That severe rpm dropped around 36mph in low that Adam refers to as "shift out" is it suppose to do that?
3. I was told since I mainly mud/trail ride in low gear that I should do my tuning in low gear and not worry about tuning it in high. Does that sound right?
4. Also as you can see in the videos I lost a lot of mph, with the stock clutches it would do 45 mph in low and 76 mph in high. Is there a reason its such a severe loss in high?

Any advice or suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I have that same clutch set up but I can't help ya since I'm running the pre-tuned setup it came with. However there are a few guys on here that can help you get it dailed in. In the meantime, It also might help you to do some thread searches to see if you can find the info to help ya .

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I'm in the same boat as desertdog as I don't have larger tires and primarily ride in High gear. I would mark down that setup for high gear as it appears to be pulling the right RPM's….one thing to do is to mark your sheaves and see if you are getting full shift out now or not. I am sure some guys on here with larger tires will be able to recommend a setup for you….

Oh, one more thing……do you have the sport low mod? If not, you are down 30% on power in low gear and would explain the drop in RPM. If you don't have it, since you ride primarily in low gear you really need to consider getting it and then see what your RPM's look like.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have a bunch of videos on youtube of some of the changes I made over the last month or so. See username garyhesq. The 38-45 helix with the gold secondary spring gave the best 0-60 time but wasn't the best setup for woods riding. Run 7 is what I left it at. I want to try the 38-45 helix with the silver spring but I'm done tuning for now. I need a break. lol

·
Registered
92 Posts
im running 1/4 cross, 1/4 base, middle empty and 1/4 socket in tip with a gold spring in secondary. This is the best for me that I have found. It pulls real hard of the line. I this 7750 with this setup until about 64 mph and then it climbs to 8000 and holds for a bit and finally shifts out and drops to 7300 rpm and climbs once again to 8000 rpm and top speed of 78. Good luck, Im still not perfect but im close enough for now.

·
Registered
791 Posts
If you are going to tune for Low gear the sport low mod is a must. Running low range non sport mode like you are you are only getting 3/4 throttle.

It did not look like you had it in sport mode in your high gear run either?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im running 1/4 cross, 1/4 base, middle empty and 1/4 socket in tip with a gold spring in secondary. This is the best for me that I have found. It pulls real hard of the line. I this 7750 with this setup until about 64 mph and then it climbs to 8000 and holds for a bit and finally shifts out and drops to 7300 rpm and climbs once again to 8000 rpm and top speed of 78. Good luck, Im still not perfect but im close enough for now.
Few questions what tire size are you running, what's your elevation and what's your riding type? I just want to see if maybe I should give this setup a try and see what happens.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you are going to tune for Low gear the sport low mod is a must. Running low range non sport mode like you are you are only getting 3/4 throttle.

It did not look like you had it in sport mode in your high gear run either?
No I do not have a sport mode low on it right now, but yes it was in sport mode in the high gear video.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Ok, like I said no point in doing anything with low until you get the sport low mod.

Your shift out looks decent in high. A little heavy in the base or centre perhaps. Hard to tell with a rolling start. As far as loosing top end, what is the rate of the "silver" secondary spring. Not familiar with that spring, it is not one of the standard offerings from STM. A stiff secondary spring is great for turning big tires in the mud without slippage, but you will loose top end speed especially in high range.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, like I said no point in doing anything with low until you get the sport low mod.

Your shift out looks decent in high. A little heavy in the base or centre perhaps. Hard to tell with a rolling start. As far as loosing top end, what is the rate of the "silver" secondary spring. Not familiar with that spring, it is not one of the standard offerings from STM. A stiff secondary spring is great for turning big tires in the mud without slippage, but you will loose top end speed especially in high range.
ok I wont worry about the low tuning then until my sport mode arrives. As far as the secondary spring rate I am not sure. I guess I need to get with Adam at QSC for that info as all he did was ask for my tire size, elevation and riding style and he put the complete package together from there.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Im running stock 27's right now, depending what spring your running in secondary this setup may or may not work for you. Im running the gold because I plan on running 30's. Quicker backshifting, keeps rpms up. I ride trails and mud mostly. The best way I can tell you to tune this is to start lite on the weights. Not enough weight and you will over rev. Once your over reving you can start adding weight to bring rpms down. you want to be at 7750-7800 rpm for ideal power. the base and cross holes are you bottom end power. you'll get it eventually, 500 ft. elevation

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im running stock 27's right now, depending what spring your running in secondary this setup may or may not work for you. Im running the gold because I plan on running 30's. Quicker backshifting, keeps rpms up. I ride trails and mud mostly. The best way I can tell you to tune this is to start lite on the weights. Not enough weight and you will over rev. Once your over reving you can start adding weight to bring rpms down. you want to be at 7750-7800 rpm for ideal power. the base and cross holes are you bottom end power. you'll get it eventually, 500 ft. elevation
Thanks for the info... Im not sure what spring I have in the secondary, its just silver which I don't see on STM's website. I am waiting for Adam at QSC to get back with me to find out what it is. Im running 29.5 and mainly trail and mud ride too so I may need to look into a different secondary spring depending on what Adam has to say about this silver spring.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Spoke to Adam at QSC and he said the "silver" secondary spring is he own spring that he makes. He said when he did some testing he said the stm gold spring was to stiff and the yellow was to soft so he ended up making his own. He explained it in more detail on the phone but that's the basic summary. I also got the sport low switch on but haven't had a chance to test it as I am finishing up my snorkels right now, but I will post a video when I get it back together to see how the sport low mod affects the clutch tune I currently have on it.

·
Registered
527 Posts
So as of now, can you really tell a huge deference in the clutch? (other than top speed) It looks like you are topping out right around the 60mph? I never really hear too much about top speed loss, and surely others would be saying that is the biggest difference is the loss of top end speed?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Question I have 13 mav xrs. Just put on the QSC STM combo. Ordered it set up for my 29.5 out law 2s. I can't shift unless I turn off machine any help would be much appreciated

·
Registered
120 Posts
U need to shim the secondary, the belt is still grabbing the clutches at idle, not sure how many shims you have in already, but you will likely need to add 1-2 more. Happened to mine as well.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Quick question.......how long does it take for you to go from 64 to 78? My QSC/STM set up gets me to 64 real quick but it's pretty slow moving up from there. Wondering what your experience is?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts