Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

41 - 60 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
So you have problems with both clutches? That sucks. I don't know why they don't make the weights with bushings in them from QSC the weights rust on the pins and they don't move very well I was surprised when I saw they had no bushings.

·
Registered
131 Posts
yes mine was starting to rust there but the big roller on top that slides up and down the wieghts is what went out. Looks like there is teflon or something inside the roller it went out as the roller pin has slack and will move up and down on shaft. this must cause it to not roll smooth and wore flat spots on the weights.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Are you getting them wet?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Hmmm....may need to pull mine and inspect along with applying some graphite or silicone

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
OK, so I pulled the CVT cover to inspect and the first thing I noticed was the primary bolt didn't line up with the marks I had put on it! It was off by 1/3 of a turn. At first I thought it had loosened but I put the torque wrench on it at 60ft/lbs and it was tight. So I loosened the bolt and it was definitely not loose, so I can assume it actually tightened itself. Is it normal for the bolt to tighten itself slightly after installing the clutch for the first time? After all of the issues with the stock bolt snapping, this has me concerned….when I reinstall it, should I consider using some Locktite?

·
Registered
292 Posts
I think it probably turns a little on the crank at first until it seats on the taper. I've never marked my bolt but I have noticed that where the crack goes in the clutch it looks like it may have spun on the crank a little. I guess its alright, I've got about 2000 miles on my clutch and never had an issue. As far as the loctite goes it may not handle the heat and just melt.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
OK, so I got my new Gates C12 belt in today so I pulled the OEM belt off and was surprised with what I found. I found the one way bearing glazed with rubber and the ribs on the belt were glazed as well. The belt has around 200 miles on it with the stock clutches and about 35 with the QSC/STM setup. The QSC/STM were brand new so this all happened within 35 miles. I set the belt deflection as-per STM. It is tight but not squealing or creeping. I also have a belt temp gauge and was closely monitoring my temps and I stayed between 175 and 200'. So I'm puzzled as to what could have caused this.

Below is a video I took when I first installed the clutches and it looks OK to me…So I cleaned up the clutch and installed the new Gates C12 belt expecting it to be too tight since it is wider than the OEM belt (OEM = 32.65mm and C12= 33.05mm) and to my amazement, it didn't creep or squeal. So this has me utterly confused as to what smoked the OEM belt so quickly and why both belts appear to use the same amount of fiber washers for deflection when they are different sizes? Any ideas before i possibly smoke a brand new C12…..

IMG_0361.jpg IMG_0363.jpg IMG_0364.jpg IMG_0367.jpg IMG_0368.jpg

·
Registered
272 Posts
Dude that is exactly what mine did when the one way seized up. I may be wrong but I'd say add at least one shim if not two. That's just my opinion tho. I've got two more shims in mine than what I had with the original belt and it seems good to me, I'll know tomorrow when I can take it for a spin.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Did you try and turn the bearing on the primary? Feel ok?
Yea, it turns fine. not like a ball bearing but it spins easily

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Dude that is exactly what mine did when the one way seized up. I may be wrong but I'd say add at least one shim if not two. That's just my opinion tho. I've got two more shims in mine than what I had with the original belt and it seems good to me, I'll know tomorrow when I can take it for a spin.
Nathan - mine isn't seized but something sure isn't right. According to STM, you should have it as tight as possible without squealing or creeping…. take a look at the video and let me know if this looks right or not? BTW I only have 2 fiber washers in it….

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Are your belt width measurements taken at the cord layer or level?
I measured them at the very top (widest part of the belt). What is the proper way to measure them?

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
When you say creeping, are you saying the STM Secondary moves or the Maverick moves? According to the STM instructions, it says that the bike shouldn't move forward at idle so I assume that is what you mean by creeping.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I am uploading another video with both belts to compare…..should be about 30 more minutes….

41 - 60 of 128 Posts