Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 40 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Make sure you double check the torque on the primary & secondary bolts after you do a few test runs. I found after a few runs my secondary bolt was just a little off the torque spec.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Make sure you double check the torque on the primary & secondary bolts after you do a few test runs. I found after a few runs my secondary bolt was just a little off the torque spec.
So you just retorque...you don't loosen and retorque..correct?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
You should be fine either way. I just retorqued mine. I've had my clutch set-up apart so many different times trying to get everything dialed in between the different size/types tires, altitudes & terrain that we run that I can't remember. I just always mark the bolts to the clutch sheeves, run it then look to see if I can see if anything has moved, then recheck the bolt torque.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks man...I appreciate the good advice.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
didn't read thru but have u drove it yet and does it pull the front wheels off the ground now ?

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
OK guys…my clutches showed up today and I have a few questions for you guys running the QSC/STM gen 2…

1. According to the instructions, the belt should be as tight as possible without squealing or creeping. Here is a video of it immediately after I installed them. As you can see, the secondary does creep a bit at first but after revving it up a few times it all but stops. Is this too loose or too tight or just about right? (Came with 2 fiber washers installed)

2. Notice in the video the rollers aren't engaging with the helix. Is that because it isn't under load? I assume this is the case and when I actually drive it, the sheave will slip a bit and then engage with the helix…yes/no?

3. Do I need to run it a bit and then re-torque the mounting bolts or was that only for the stock primary bolt? Also, are they reusable. If I have to pull the clutches for what ever reason, can you reuse the mounting bolts or is it recommended to replace them after they have been torqued to spec?

4. On the primary, I noticed all 3 of the weight pivot pins are not completely tightened to the clutch casting (there is side-to-side slop). Is this correct?

5. Is it recommended to rough up the sheave faces with a Scotchbrite pad or some steel wool or just rum them as-is?

View attachment 4444
How can you tell that 2 fiber washers are installed on the secondary?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Put the clutch spreader on and open up the secondary and you can see them.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hey man, I lied earlier about how many shims my STM setup had. For some reason I thought I had read they sent it with 5 shims it only had 2 then I added 2. I pulled the one out this evening which now makes 3. Didn't get a chance to ride it but I let run in garage to make sure it didn't have to much tension. All was good, belt rode a little higher in secondary which I'm hoping will help my issues.

My apologies again for straying from your question,

Nathan

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
No worries...

·
Registered
394 Posts
didn't read thru but have u drove it yet and does it pull the front wheels off the ground now ?
It's doesn't but I haven't dropped the tire pressure down to see if that would do the trick. Right now it just spins the rear tires.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I put blue lok tight on all the bolts, don't know if that's best or not but I always have.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Anyone had problems with the qsc and stm setup after getting some miles on them. I have two unit with the setup. Both are getting hard to shift and one the rmps has dropped on launch. worked on one today. the seconday spins at idle no matter what. I went from 1 to 4 fiber shims. Belt was floppy and still creep in gear and hard to shift.
Wil all primarrys move in just a little at idle. And what is the metal washer that comes with them

·
Registered
272 Posts
Anyone had problems with the qsc and stm setup after getting some miles on them. I have two unit with the setup. Both are getting hard to shift and one the rmps has dropped on launch. worked on one today. the seconday spins at idle no matter what. I went from 1 to 4 fiber shims. Belt was floppy and still creep in gear and hard to shift.
Wil all primarrys move in just a little at idle. And what is the metal washer that comes with them
Check your one way bearing in primary, my STM set up had to much belt tension and seized the bearing up making stay engaged all the time and the only way you could shift it was to turn machine off.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
OK, so first ride feedback….Kris almost nailed the setup right out of the box for me….and actually may have but I will post my results and see if i need to adjust or not….

All results were on hardpack dirt or sandy washouts….

1. Full throttle launch in 2wd High - RPM's shot up to 7700 and quickly rose to 8000 (saw 8050 once or twice). It held that RPM until I let off at around 65MPH (ran out of straight/flat trail)
2. Roll on from idle to full throttle - RPM shot up to 7500 and climbed to around 7800 and held. Same as above until running out of road….
3. From 30mph to full throttle - RPM's shot to 7600 and held up to 55mph on sandy washout.
4. From 40mph. tap the brakes and then full throttle - RPM's shot to 7650 and slightly climbed to 7750 until letting off at 65MPH.

I also noticed that it seams to rev higher at a constant cruising speed than the stock clutches did. It may have just been me but that is what it felt like….I think it may have been that the back shifting is more sensitive now so it rev's slightly higher….engagement from idle is vastly improved….no more jerk or clunk when engaging and no more jerking in reverse (using the same belt).

So overall, much improved acceleration and back shifting in general. I'm not sure if the higher RPM's from WOT takeoff as compared ot the other tests were due to a cold belt or if that is normal to pull a little higher RPM on a WOT takeoff as compared to rolling into it or WOT after you are moving…..

·
Registered
266 Posts
Yes my setup was doing the same thing. When you are in sport mode the rpms sit around 1500 rpms. My qsc was trying to engage at that rpm. Try to put it in non sport mode when the rpms are around 1250rpm and see if it shift better. If so you need to put a shim in the qsc. They are aluminum looking, I had one installed from the get go and had to call Adam up and get a second shim to fix it. Shifts like butter now.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Heavysledz, you should run test #1 again just to see if the cold belt theory is true. I would definitely like to know.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Took them apart to put the extra spacer in to find 5 of the 6 weights trashed. the rollers went bad and caused flat spots on my wieghts. One clutch only have 170 miles on it. Have to call qsc in the morning

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Heavysledz, you should run test #1 again just to see if the cold belt theory is true. I would definitely like to know.
Will do but will not be until next weekend.

21 - 40 of 128 Posts