Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK guys…my clutches showed up today and I have a few questions for you guys running the QSC/STM gen 2…

1. According to the instructions, the belt should be as tight as possible without squealing or creeping. Here is a video of it immediately after I installed them. As you can see, the secondary does creep a bit at first but after revving it up a few times it all but stops. Is this too loose or too tight or just about right? (Came with 2 fiber washers installed)

2. Notice in the video the rollers aren't engaging with the helix. Is that because it isn't under load? I assume this is the case and when I actually drive it, the sheave will slip a bit and then engage with the helix…yes/no?

3. Do I need to run it a bit and then re-torque the mounting bolts or was that only for the stock primary bolt? Also, are they reusable. If I have to pull the clutches for what ever reason, can you reuse the mounting bolts or is it recommended to replace them after they have been torqued to spec?

4. On the primary, I noticed all 3 of the weight pivot pins are not completely tightened to the clutch casting (there is side-to-side slop). Is this correct?

5. Is it recommended to rough up the sheave faces with a Scotchbrite pad or some steel wool or just rum them as-is?

IMG_0347.jpg

·
Registered
964 Posts
The pins should have some play even when tight. The rollers on the secondary wont touch until you drive off which is normal. I wouldn't bother with scotchbrite on the sheaves. If it doesn't move the belt should be ok. In the video is that at idle? Are you using the stock belt?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, that is at idle until the end where I rev it up a few times……I actually pieced 3 clips together( at 9 sec and 18 sec), I revved it up between the clips and then filmed it while revving it on the 3rd….kind of why it creeps at first and then all of a sudden stops...

·
Registered
964 Posts
Stock belt? You don't have to re torque the bolts with those clutches. I think your belt tension is ok. If it is a new belt after one ride it will wear in a little too. The Gates belt people say is a tad wider, that is why I asked.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stock belt with 200 miles on it….I have a Gates C12 coming but it will not be here until Tuesday and I am impatient so I put the stock belt in :crazy:

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what I wanted to hear! Hopefully, tomorrow I can get some seat time on it around the neighborhood to see if everything works OK before I button everything back up and take it out and thrash it! What should I expect to see for RPM's for a full throttle take off and high speed run?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Max RPM I would like to see 7850 to 8000. Some e say the Mav runs best around 7750 but I have played with my setup and i like it about 100 higher than that. You don't want it to over rev and go down and climb back up. You should run around 7500 and climb up to max RPM as you speed up.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Max RPM I would like to see 7850 to 8000. Some e say the Mav runs best around 7750 but I have played with my setup and i like it about 100 higher than that. You so t want it to over rev and go down and climb back up. You should run ap around 7500 and climb up to max RPM as you speed up.
ummm…I think I got that….either you were typing while you were driving or you have had to much to drink :shocked:

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haha…OK, I was just messing with you. So full throttle out of the gate it should go to 7500 or so and then climb steadily up from there…does that sound right?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Haha…OK, I was just messing with you. So full throttle out of the gate it should go to 7500 or so and then climb steadily up from there…does that sound right?
Ya that's about right. Just see if it over revs or stuffs the engine by up shifting too soon when you floor it and then see what it does for max RPM. Make sure you let the engine warm up to three bars on the coolant gauge before testing it. The engines don't seem to run peak RPM when colder especially one bar. I think they don't open the throttle or the retard the timing til it's hot. Just what I've noticed. Mine had too much weight in the bottom when I first got it. It would stuff the engine and only go to 6800 then climb. I took some weight out of the bottom hole it made a big difference.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all of the advice….I feel like I have a good starting point to go off of now. Once I have it dialed in, I will post my clutch setup so we can compare….

·
Registered
964 Posts
I see you are in Idaho, what elevation and where did you buy your clutches from? I had to get a different helix for our elevation here in Utah.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I live in the Boise area. So I am at 2700ft but I ride anywhere from 2500ft to 6500ft in elevation. I bout them from Kris at Cold Blooded Performance. I have the following setup to start with:

Primary
Spring = silver???
Weights = 3/8" set screws in the cross hole, 1/4" set screw in the base hole, center hole is empty, and a 1/2" set screw in the tip

Secondary
Helix = 40 degree w/engine braking
Shims = 2 .03" fiber washers
Spring = PS-13 Gold spring

·
Registered
394 Posts
I live in the Boise area. So I am at 2700ft but I ride anywhere from 2500ft to 6500ft in elevation. I bout them from Kris at Cold Blooded Performance. I have the following setup to start with:

Primary
Spring = silver???
Weights = 3/8" set screws in the cross hole, 1/4" set screw in the base hole, center hole is empty, and a 1/2" set screw in the tip

Secondary
Helix = 40 degree w/engine braking
Shims = 2 .03" fiber washers
Spring = PS-13 Gold spring
Mine is the same except for the washers. I'm not sure what I have in there.

·
Registered
272 Posts
There must be huge difference between the STM 2nd gen rage 3 and the qsc. My original setup had 5 fiber washers on the secondary and it was so tight it seized the one way in the primary. Now I've got 7 shims and my secondary still spins more than yours in the video.

Sorry for getting off your question, congrats on your new set-up. Just thought it was odd on extreme difference of shims between the two set ups.

Nathan

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Does the rage 3 have a larger one way bearing on it than the QSC? Would make sense if it did….

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
272 Posts
Does the rage 3 have a larger one way bearing on it than the QSC? Would make sense if it did….
I've got all apart now to try and take one shim out of secondary and see what that does. I'll measure it this evening to see, and thanks for your help on my questions to I appreciate it.

Nathan

1 - 20 of 128 Posts