Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was tuning my clutch and noticed that there was a small groove around the inner sheave of my primary. Looks like the belt has been wiping material away from the clutch, it's about as wide as a pencil lead all the way around the sheave. Belt looks god. Only got about 100 miles on primary and belt. Anyone have this happen?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the gates belt and got the clutch from Kris about 5 months ago so I hope it's the billet sheave. I pmed Kris and he said that it was normal from idling in gear so never mind I guess. I will say that I do not like the Gates belt, it is noisy and will squeal after it gets warm. Gonna go back with the 212.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My clutches are @ Qsc and I talked to Adam yesterday, he's in Texas right now but will be back at the shop Tues. That's one of the issues I need to discuss with him. Idling is not causing it or it would be on both sides. I think it could be the grade aluminum. I will report back when he calls me.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Any CVT clutch will do this. This is why we try to encourage people to put their machines in neutral when they are idling for extended periods of time.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
My clutches are @ Qsc and I talked to Adam yesterday, he's in Texas right now but will be back at the shop Tues. That's one of the issues I need to discuss with him. Idling is not causing it or it would be on both sides. I think it could be the grade aluminum. I will report back when he calls me.
not necessarily true....the belt tends to settle more on one side or the other so it is not uncommon to see one sheave wear much more than the other.....

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I never let mine idle in gear. Would this happen in neutral? What's the difference if the secondary isn't turning?

Reactions: bullet30

·
Registered
459 Posts
I wish I knew what it was like to have a QSC clutch.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wish I knew what it was like to have a QSC clutch.
Why do you have a STM secondary but no primary? It's worth it. Mine hits harder and has better engagement and stall speed.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Umm big difference in casted aluminum and a Billet made from one piece. The difference appears on the Rockwell scale. I rarely idle in gear.

I had this clutch with the casted inner sheave on my modded outty 1000xt before i shattered it into several pieces and the casted inner sheave is not wore near as bad as this Billet is in a shorter period of time. Metallurgy is my field.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My buddy and both have Mavericks but he races his so he has been messing with clutches and with that being said, his clutches lock up immediately upon throttle engagement and we think that is what is causing the groove. If you measure the belt from the inside teeth to the first exposed threading/belting on the side (profile) of the belt and then take the corresponding measurement on your primary without the belt on it, you will see the groove matches up with that threading on your belt. By the way he is using factory belts. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I never let mine idle in gear. Would this happen in neutral? What's the difference if the secondary isn't turning?
When in neutral or park, the secondary can spin as well which in turn means the belt is spinning. So you don't have the friction of the primary clutch spinning while the belt is not....in gear, the secondary cant spin so that means the belt can't either....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts