Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
swapped the stock front diff out with the qe the other day ive got some pics and figured id share.
these are the tools I used (sorry I dont rember the exact sizes); set of metric allen wrenches, torques head sockets, end wrenches from 10mm to 17mm, sockets from 10mm to 17mm, needle nose pliers, small pipe wrench and a shop hammer. also a 15/16 socket to remove castle nut

there are 4 10mm bolts and 2 torques head bolts holding most of the front skid plate that need to be removed.

1 skid plate bolts marked.jpg

next you need to get it on jacks, remove the front tires, remove lower a-arm from spindle(one bolt then tap a-arm off with hammer), remove shock from upper a-arm again one bolt after shock is removed I tie upper suspension up out of the way, next remove cotter pin from axle and remove castle nut(easier with an impact) work axle out of the spindle, remove axle by basically yanking on it, it may take a few tries but it will come out. do the same on the other side.
2 axle remove with arrows.jpg

this is basically how it should look (now would be a good time to drain diff using an allen wrench just remove lower plug and drain into a pan about 16 ounces
3 photo 3.jpg

now the fun part removing the bolt that holds the u-joint to the front diff. You will need a small 12 or 18 inch pipe wrench and a 1/2 inch end wrench. place the pipe wrench on the drive shaft for back up, place the end wrench on the bolt in the yoke, it is very tight i used a cheater pipe on the end wrench to get it moving. once it is removed all that is left are 6 bolts. 2 holding the top of the diff in and 4 more holding the diff carrier in. once they are removed simply work it out of the bottom, once removed pull the two bolts connecting the diff to the carrier and you are ready to get into the diff
4 drive shaft with arrows.jpg

if you buy the complete differential with housing all you need to do now is install it,fill it up and put your mav back together. if you only got the diff then remove the 6 torques head bolts holding the diff halves together and seperate the halves. work the diff out of the carrier.
photo 5.jpg

this is what they look like. Ive never noticed a physical difference in the regular visco loc and the qe. look for the two shims, they are either still on old diff or sitting on the bearings inside the diff one for each side, I always grab the shims and put them on new diff. once you have the shims on the qe and have inspected the small black gasket its time to put it back together. Remember do not fill it up until it has been reinstalled into the maverick frame also make sure to loctite the threads on the differential bolt that connects the drive shaft to the diff. use blue loctite.
photo 6.jpg

when you are installing the axles install DRIVERS side first then make sure to line up the splines inside of the diff on the passengers side by turning the drivers side axle (i had to use a flashlight to see the threads) once lined up install passenger side axle. make sure both axles are completly seated or they will pop out. they will go in until the dust cover is butted up to the diff.
photo 7.jpg

once you have it put back together and it is still in the air spin one tire, the other should go in the same direction. (they will spin in opposite directions if its a regular viscoloc)
photo 8.jpg
if you have any questions or problems let me know

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not a bad job at all 2 1/2-3 hour job, and yes I'll be putting p/s on real soon. It is so much easier on the maverick. The same job on a commander may take 6 hours

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got a deal from my dealership. Paid $570.00 for the front diff internal. It would have been $ 1000.00 for the entire diff and housing. You can find qe diffs on eBay sometimes but you never know what you are gonna get. Also you can put your regular visco loc on eBay and get some $$$ back. Only other cost was oil and loctite maybe $15.00

·
Registered
266 Posts
Nice write-up, Driller

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Noticeably harder Randolph and colebrew it isn't a locker but it is a vast improvement over stock and will satisfy 95% of enthusiast

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Call dealership and tell them u want the qe diff internals out of a 13 commander 1000. Or hicklen power sports is a vendor on this forum. Hit them up

·
Registered
875 Posts
I know this is an old thread but am curious does the QE take a different weight or is friction modifier needed over the regular viscolok? Great writeup BTW!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts