Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok- Gents -- My Max continues to show how well it is at spending money.

After much deliberation I have decided to go with the offroad sound systems roof and stereo combo. I didn't go nearly to the extreme as they offer but I am excited about my system.

Roof base ( 4 speakers)
HT4 upgrade (in order to power two rear wake tower speakers)
Custom amp plate
Bluetooth
2 wake tower speakers

Its all going to be back lit in red to match the red max.

At anyrate I have a couple questions to those guys with similar systems....(like DRILLER)

What upgrades to the battery system do I need to make. I plan on using a Yellow top optima, is that enough? Also should I use a battery isolator. Keep in mind I also have a 40" light bar. I am completely ignorant when it comes to stereo stuff so please share everything you can.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Oh man can't wait to see how you like it, I don't have one yet but I know people who love there's

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I have the 4 speaker set up without the wake tower speakers plus a light bar and I'm still running the stock battery. Josh told me on my wife's max he was gonna do a dual battery set up. Hers will be similar to yours. I'm pretty sure an optima would be more than enough tho

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks driller- sorry bout my inbox- I cleaned it out. You can resend.

·
Registered
403 Posts
WVXRS, you'll be fine with the stock battery, but you've only got a couple hours of reserve time with the machine not running. If you want more reserve time, I wouldn't use an Optima battery. A dry cell battery will be best, and have a better aH rating. I've used XS Power, and Stinger - I sell mostly Stinger for these and boat installs.

In mine (for example), I used a Stinger SPP1500 - which is a GM cased dry-cell battery. I've had 2 of the Wet Sounds SD series amps on there, which are pretty hard on current draw for what most of you guys are running. The 1500 fits under the drivers seat, and comes with a metal case, but the plastic needs to be cut out. I have the case bolted to the frame, and mine has been on some pretty harsh terrain - battery hasn't budged. I also have a Viper Elite 4000# winch on this battery and that's a big step up from the OEM battery. I did use an isolator so that when the ignition key is OFF, the stereo and nothing draws from the OEM battery. That guarantee's that the machine will start even if the stereo battery is dead.

If you want more info, PM me, I'll be glad to help. You can even call if you want. I run a shop in Western KY and have done a few of these, always glad to pass on experience to help others make the right decision.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Thanks for the info jonyb. What would be the best battery that would mount in the stock position?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WVXRS, you'll be fine with the stock battery, but you've only got a couple hours of reserve time with the machine not running. If you want more reserve time, I wouldn't use an Optima battery. A dry cell battery will be best, and have a better aH rating. I've used XS Power, and Stinger - I sell mostly Stinger for these and boat installs.

In mine (for example), I used a Stinger SPP1500 - which is a GM cased dry-cell battery. I've had 2 of the Wet Sounds SD series amps on there, which are pretty hard on current draw for what most of you guys are running. The 1500 fits under the drivers seat, and comes with a metal case, but the plastic needs to be cut out. I have the case bolted to the frame, and mine has been on some pretty harsh terrain - battery hasn't budged. I also have a Viper Elite 4000# winch on this battery and that's a big step up from the OEM battery. I did use an isolator so that when the ignition key is OFF, the stereo and nothing draws from the OEM battery. That guarantee's that the machine will start even if the stereo battery is dead.

If you want more info, PM me, I'll be glad to help. You can even call if you want. I run a shop in Western KY and have done a few of these, always glad to pass on experience to help others make the right decision.
Great info thanks!!!
I would like to hear more about the stinger option. Do you sell them and ship them?

Pictures?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Thanks for the info jonyb. What would be the best battery that would mount in the stock position?
Honestly, not sure what would fit the best. These batteries can be mounted upside down if needed, or on their side. Most people use the Odyssey battery and there's info on this forum somewhere.

I'll try to get pics of the battery and stereo in mine when I get it back from the shop. BRP is sending me a new QE...

Here's the page for the Stinger batteries: Stinger Electronics | Products

Pricing on that page is MSRP. I sell for a lot less than that, but freight is fairly high because these are heavy. I've got some smaller XS Power batteries in stock but would have to look at what's there first. The Stinger SPP batteries have a 3-year replacement warranty. That's something to consider when paying a little more for a good battery.

Great info thanks!!!
I would like to hear more about the stinger option. Do you sell them and ship them?

Pictures?
Yes, but not here since I'm not a supporting vendor. Don't want to step on anybody's toes. Link is above with info and sizing. PM for more info.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I don't have the max, but I have an OSS system from Josh. Got 4 605 wetsounds, HT6, 2 rev 10's light bar, winch, LEDs, running on the stock battery with a red top optima under the driver seat. I can park and run it for a few hours, hit the trails. Every time I throw on the battery charger it is around 87% or higher.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I built a setup just like their's, with 4 808's in it.
40" light bar in the front & a 20" in the rear
I'm running a stock battery with an isolator & an AGM battery under the seat.
Pretty easy to do.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Pics boovan? I'm gonna do the same on mine with the 808's.
Just seeing this, I'll get some tonight & post them up

1 - 14 of 14 Posts