Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a 2019 x3 xmr not long ago and I was loving it , best looking side by side ever made awesome power ,comfortable , loving every minute of it for about 4 hours yesterday. Until we went thru a few mud holes that is , thats when it decided it wanted to run hot , radiator needed cleaning so we made it back to the truck after a few cool down breaks. Got home and I googled it and find out this is normal ( snorkeled mud version doesent like mud ). So needless to say , the guys riding the two other rigs had their fun talking about it after riding thru the same stuff I did with no problems . Looks like its a pita to remove the tupperware and get the radiator cleaned while on the trail , or I can spend over a grand for a rear radiator that completely blocks rear vision . Does great until you take it to the mud holes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is disappointing to hear, I can only imagine how disappointed you are.
Certainly should not be overheating, even in slow (no airflow) conditions.
I'm curious if others will chime in with similar experiences.

Might try engine ice?

It would be terrible news, but it's always possible something else is going on in the engine that could be causing this (such as head gasket failure).

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
It is not uncommon for these to over heat. 3 out of the 4 XRCs in our group overheat due to mud clogging the radiator. I found one of the biggest problems is the fins get bent over and limit airflow thru the radiator. I take a small pick and straighten them out however it is a pita. The best way to clean the radiator it to remove the front plastics so you have access to it. There is a better radiator available however its around 600 bucks. It comes in in 2 versions, 14 TPI and 18 TPI fin configurations.

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
If you're going to sell it just for that......

Try to figure out the issue. You'll have more problems than mud with a SXS. Get yourself some fine mesh screen, and fab it to fit over the radiator. After each stop, just pour some bottled water over it to wash off the mud. Another old MX trick is to coat everything with Pam Spray. Mud doesn't really stick well when stuff is coated with Pam.

·
Registered
2020 X3 XRS Turbo RR
67 Posts
Here's what dirt track racers use.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Its $700 for the mudder radiator , not sure lf Ill take that gamble or not.
A 700 dollar gamble is a lot cheaper than the hit your going to take on selling the machine. No matter what machine you buy there will be issues and/or something your not going to like about it. It's just the way it is!

·
Registered
2020 X3 XRS Max RR Triple Black
32 Posts
So I got a 2019 x3 xmr not long ago and I was loving it , best looking side by side ever made awesome power ,comfortable , loving every minute of it for about 4 hours yesterday. Until we went thru a few mud holes that is , thats when it decided it wanted to run hot , radiator needed cleaning so we made it back to the truck after a few cool down breaks. Got home and I googled it and find out this is normal ( snorkeled mud version doesent like mud ). So needless to say , the guys riding the two other rigs had their fun talking about it after riding thru the same stuff I did with no problems . Looks like its a pita to remove the tupperware and get the radiator cleaned while on the trail , or I can spend over a grand for a rear radiator that completely blocks rear vision . Does great until you take it to the mud holes.
How hot did your buggy get? Anyway you’re low on coolant? My buddy has an XMR and hasn’t had any heating issues. I am also in AK so our riding/mud conditions are most likely much different than yours. Good luck in sourcing the problem. I’m new to Can Am, but I’m super impressed with my experience with them so far

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I think Im going to remove the thermostat and go back to Iron Mountain park to try it out . If I can avoid the mud and ride thru some tight trails and hill climbs with no overheating then Ill assume the mudder radiator is worth a shot , after reading the description it sounds impressive . The car did great for the first 4 hours we were there sunday but there was alot of mud and we went thru some pretty deep mudholes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To answer some questions , I did check coolant level , the temp gauge was maxed out I think 7 bars and the red overheat light came on but it never went into limp mode like some have said theres did ( googled it } the little water tank beside the snorkles was gurgling when it first happened , when it would get hot it only took 3 to 5 minutes sitting at idle for it to cool back down to 4 bars when we were heading back to the truck ,at low rpms and not going uphill it didnt really seem to overheat , one of the other riders who is a much better mechanic than me said he didnt think it was acting like a head gasket problem and mentioned a temp sensor. I will try the pam spray . May try the nomex honeycomb panel . I do realize there are bigger and more expensive problems that can happen with a sxs just didnt expect mud to be such a big problem with a snorkled mud specific machine . My first sxs was/ is a kawi 800 teryx so far its been bulletproof , probably shouldnt expect that from the bigger much more powerfull machines altho as I said in the begining , the other 2 buggies had no problems and they went thru the same muck as I did. Thanks alot for all the recommendations and info !

·
Registered
410 Posts
so you are mudding through some super thick red clay looking stuff and shocked your radiator gets clogged and overheats your ride? If that is your every time riding style, i would do the relocate or put a screen on and keep riding/having fun

Reactions: Mr Ted

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As I said before , there were 2 other buggies with me riding thru the same stuff , neither of them were snorkled ( set up for mud ) one of them actually tried to go thru the middle of this mudhole and got stuck with the hood submerged until I pulled it out . Neither of them had issues .

·
Registered
410 Posts
i would do the tricks listed above before you relocated the radiator since they are cheaper and easier. if that still doesn't work, then do a relocate. Every machine will react different on trails/rides.. Look at cars for instance. I've seen some cars get used and abused and just keep on going, and i've seen others that have been babied their entire lives and have nothing but issues.

·
Registered
31 Posts
As I said before , there were 2 other buggies with me riding thru the same stuff , neither of them were snorkled ( set up for mud ) one of them actually tried to go thru the middle of this mudhole and got stuck with the hood submerged until I pulled it out . Neither of them had issues .
Were the other two buggies can am or something else? I’ve tried the mud rad in my commander and it still over heats but my buddies commander never does. I’m thinking I might have a head gasket problem. Drives me crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
nah they were RZRs , didnt really want to bring that up , sometimes that kinda stuff can trigger emotions , Im not a brand loyalist myself but I do know some people like to make a big deal of the ford vs chevy type of argument

·
Registered
410 Posts
nah they were RZRs , didnt really want to bring that up , sometimes that kinda stuff can trigger emotions , Im not a brand loyalist myself but I do know some people like to make a big deal of the ford vs chevy type of argument
OMGZZ different brands!!!! BANNZZZZ!! jk

drive what makes you happy. Different brands will have different locations of radiators and plastics. Different types of tires will also make a difference as well. Now if you guys weren't in hardcore mud, but going down normal trails and had this type of issue i would be more concerned with you overheating before them lol.

add a screen, pam it, and then hit those holes and see what happens

Reactions: roadies
1 - 20 of 25 Posts