Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

I'd need a little help wiring my LED light bar.

I bought the harness seen in the pictures, unfortunately there was no instruction whatsoever included....

I assume that the fused red wire should be hooked up to a switched hot wire. Black goes to ground.
Now I have three plugs left.
One should be probably hooked up to + and - as well, one of the will be for the light bar (I assume the long cable) and the last one to the switch....?

Sorry for the retarded question but I'm a little challenged if it comes to wiring :)

Alex

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

·
Registered
668 Posts
The large red one will go the power source the battery. I made mine from scratch. The relay will have numbers like 87 86 30 32 or some crap like that . One side of the relay is for low voltage switching do you can run cool switches and not burn them up with large amp draw. The 87 - 86 is the power to the bar. So 30-32 switches on the 87-86. So this is what you do.

1. From power source "can be smaller wire" to the rocker switch.
2. From the rocker switch to 30 on the relay
3. From 32 on relay to ground.
4. Now ground your switch if it has a light on it so it will light up.

Switching side complete.

5. From power source " wire need to match amp load" to inline fuse to 87 on relay.
6. From 86 on relay to positive side of led bar.
7. Ground your led bars negative side.

Circuit is now complete and the load is being carried by the relay not the switch. Relay needs to be rated for the amps/load as well. Same with wire. Good luck hope thus helps.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a bunch, good informations and written in a way I understand :)

I kept thinking about this last night, and I'm wondering if I could run the switched side of the relay from the OEM light switch, so basically whenever I switch to high beams, the LEDs would come on as well.

Anyone tried this.....thoughts?

·
Registered
668 Posts
That's the joy of relays you can do what u stated without the load frying the small wires. There is hardly no load on the switch side of the relay so do what u please.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's the joy of relays you can do what u stated without the load frying the small wires. There is hardly no load on the switch side of the relay so do what u please.
Good to hear, I think that's what I'm gonna do.
Once I get my winch installed and my sport low switch, my 6 spaces for switches in the panel will be all used, so by connecting the LED light bar to the high beam switch will save me the trouble finding another spot for the additional switch.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's why I bought the wiring harness from Matt. He also modified it for me so that it would fit the rocker switch. Mine are coming on Tuesday. He's been great so far and has been very helpful.
Who's Matt? Did I miss anything? :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts