Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know that the clutches with the Mav's have been huge topic of conversation. I am not an expert on clutches. I wish I was. I know enough to get in trouble though. I posted a thread earlier about the 24V starting system. I also spent alot of time with CanAM factory drivers while I was in Georgia on what kind of clutch setups they are running. Just so everyone knows GNCC is Possibly one of the toughest racing series on equipment that I have been able to find. These guys race for about an hour and 15 minutes and it is honestly balls to the walls as fast as these cars will go. Back to the topic of conversation though. I met the owner of NC Powersports and he was really helpful and open on what he was running, Full STM. He was the only person that I talked to that was running aftermarket clutches. He said after the race that they performed awesome. Everyone else was running stock clutches. This is what they are doing. 1. According to them where the primary halves seat together on the taper, the tapers don't fit together correctly, which equals the bolts breaking without the "slipper washers". I talked to some people that had the "slipper washers and was told that the clutch of course still slips and puts alot of pressure on the bolt. In theory if the taper is correct when it is put together it shouldn't just come apart when the bolt holding them together is removed. I personally watched someone take the bolt out and outer half of the primary came off by hand. Shouldn't this take a puller to get apart???? He took lapping compound and lapped the tapers together until it was seated correctly. Once he cleaned the lapping compound, he placed the outer part of the primary back on and gave a smack with his hand and it wouldn't come back off. It took a puller this time. He raced for a full hour with out any issues. I haven't got a free minute to do this on my maverick but i'm going to. I'm not an expert on clutches so don't rip me to shreds if some of the information I said isn't quite right. I'm just trying to help everyone out.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I tried lapping mine in, and it really didn't do much. The problem is that the taper that holds the two halves together is more similar to a ball and socket then to a real taper.

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
lapping the taper could not hurt at all, but it aint the fix.

i talked to a couple of canam racer guys on the west coast and they are running the STM clutch with ZERO issues.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
But if the other 3 to 4 other race mavericks are running wide a$$ open for a whole race on a stock clutch then guys that trail ride should be fine with the factory clutch ?

·
Registered
649 Posts
But if the other 3 to 4 other race mavericks are running wide a$$ open for a whole race on a stock clutch then guys that trail ride should be fine with the factory clutch ?
Then why have they broke-

The guys racing for a factory team get those 200 dollar belts for free that they are slipping the whole race... I need reluability not something that lasts one race- And trust me i beat mine pretty hard

·
Registered
59 Posts
I spoke with the same guys at the gncc race Saturday.He said,they were running the stm clutches,turn key tie rods and custom wheels from Can Am.They are also running balls in the tires to keep from getting flats.He also said,he would be getting power steering.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have all of the same stuff. They are running zero offset wheels, heavy duty tie rods front and rear, one person had a full STM setup. I didn't see a Mav with power steering but I'm sure there was one there. I just thought I would relay what a saw and was told. A lot of these guys are just like people in every race circuit, they don't give up all of there secrets!! Most of them are pretty nice guys and I like to pic there brains and relay some info to you all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts