Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2020 XRS RR y2” wide.

So, the head snapped off trying to get the primary off. broken a bunch of long easy-outs trying to get it off. The short ones grab then strip. I don't want to pound on my crank.

ideas? Is it possible to take primary apart while still on? should I drill the extractor tool all the way down to the crank? Id rather save the motor vs clutch, I can always buy another one (ugh) This stuff looks easy on vids. I am beginning to think they pre-take off everything so it looks simple

thanks

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
you must have used a crappy puller. Even IF you got the clutch apart you will still have the snout of the rear piece where the tool is stuck in.

·
Premium Member
6,837 Posts
How far from the surface is the tool broke? Tim

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
If you want to save the engine then the end of the clutch will need to be cut off around the puller shaft to gain access to it. Then it can be removed with vice gripes. Used clutch's are available and cheaper than replacing a crankshaft. Another option is to heat the clutch taper enough for it to pop off. I will assume the clutch puller has enough tension on the shaft to make that happen.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I would try hooking straps to the clutch pulling outward, and use a big center punch and give the broken puller a few love taps. Should pop off with all that tension on it.

·
Premium Member
2019 x3 Xds R
280 Posts
I would see if I could find a metal bushing/sleeve to put in the hole to guid a drill bit. Then drill it and try to tap it again. If that didn’t work I’d go a size bigger every time until I got close to the threads. Won’t need a sleeve after it’s predrilled. I’d spray it a couple times before the start. Plus some lube while drilling. Most of the time I get broke stuff out like that. Sometimes I just end up with more broke stuff.

That would be my last ditch before actually breaking it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, it’s in the whole a good 3/4 of an inch. I’ll try the larger bits tell it’s no good. Then I guess I’m breaking out the saw. Should I just cut it on the sleeve where the belt rides? Or star cutting sections of the primary until I can pop the primary off?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Can’t get to it. I called evo, they had some good ideas. With the clutch tools they think I can split the primary with no damage and expose the shaft and the broken tool. Give me leverage to weld onto it. I should be able to salvage part of it. If it works. then cut the metal shaft if it doesn’t. I ordered the tools. Should have them in a week. damn things brand new, but 60HP seemed to easy to pass up 😒. $1700 for big inj kit and clutch weights and springs. Easy the vids looked.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
tips for removing clutch
first is you should have a cold crank, this is the most important tip
the pullers dont always work the first try
so dont go crazy with a big impact wrench
you may need to heat the clutch to remove it, usually on a warm crank
the water trick can work, its a mf to do on a sxs
what most do is give it a few wacks with a hammer to knock it loose with the puller
as tight as you dare

1 - 20 of 130 Posts