Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone know which direction to remove the primary bolt? Counter clockwise or clockwise ?

Also, the secondary the same direction?

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Both bolts are right handed threads, righty tighty lefty loosey.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I know the righty tighty but on my Teryx it was opposite. So I just wanted to make sure. I don't want to break the bolt off in the crank.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, got primary off. Now do you use any locktite on the new bolt or just install and hand torque to 60 lbs?

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
NO RED LOCTITE!!! I put mine back on with 2 (two) drops of blue loctite, and torqed it down to 95 ft lbs.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
NO RED LOCTITE!!! I put mine back on with 2 (two) drops of blue loctite, and torqed it down to 95 ft lbs.
I have some blue but the instructions say to hand torque to 60 ftlbs and you did 95?

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
This is for the QSC, right? follow thier directions, but trust me when I say, Red Loctite is not your friend for this application.

edit: I believe factory torque spec is 89 ft lbs, on the primary, and 44 ft lbs on the secondary.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Oh yeah, one more thing. DO NOT reuse the oem bolts.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes QSC direction say torque to 60 ft lbs.
My loctite is in a blue tube but says red, so I used 1 drop in the end thread.
What was the problem with red? Too strong?

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I busted one of AIRDAM's stronger bolts trying to get my primary off after using red loctite. What a PITA to get a broken case hardened bolt out of the end of the crank. I'll never put red on either of those bolts again. I think Blownhotrodder did the same thing but on his secondary....

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just went and got some green loctite. It's penetrating and just a little less torque quality than the blue, but still consider medium strength

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Green is actually to lock a compression fit type of joint. Thats why it's a penetrating locking agent. I'd use the blue.......

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Wth I have taking out my oem stock bolt atleast 10 times on my commander with red locktight But I only use 1 or two drops

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I did my primary at least 6 times using red. The last time, I broke the bolt. Thats why it was...........The last time. I won't use the red again for those bolts

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Both clutches are installed. The STM goes on so much easier than compressing the spring for the stock one. However, the bolt on the STM needs to be torqued to 30 ft lbs. I used a strap in my garage but could be more of a challenge to get it torqued properly in the field.
Oh we'll glad I carry a tow strap.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Cool. I really want to see how the QSC and CVTech stand up to each other. Too bad it's so hot at Mother "G". I'd meet you out there for some side by side runs. We will be headed back up to Pismo next month if your interested.

I'm still waiting on a responce about getting an STM secondary..........

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have always wanted to go up to Pismo. I live at the beach, so I love it. I can surf, fish or even surf fish and ride all at the same time. Not sure about next month because at some point my car has to go Magnum off road for a new cage & alum top. August would a good month weather wise.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I do miss the SD weather. Lived in Solana beach for a couple years back in the early 80's. Got married and moved to O.C.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts