Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I thought I was super lucky to get a great deal on a Can Am Premium Box (the hard shell box) only to get home and find it doesn't fit quite right w/ the harness bar. Since 4 point harnesses are most important I plan to do some mods to make it work (I do like the box a lot, especially with the trick brake light). Anyone already got experience with this? I'm thinking of bolting a piece of plywood to the rack then screwing the box to the plywood. Seems possible to maybe move the rack back also but perhaps overly complicated…the upside being you could then use the supplied quick locks. Any other ideas?

Anyway have the Can Am 73 liter bags and the harness bar? Do they work together?

If anyone doesn't have the harness bar and wants to make me an offer for the Premium Box (especially if you're in the Portland Oregon area) I'll consider it (then just buy the bags).

thanks!

Adam

·
Registered
121 Posts
How does it not fit? I spoke with can am and they said it would not be a problem with factory harness bar and trunk. I have the harness bar now and trunk is ordered.

So I thought I was super lucky to get a great deal on a Can Am Premium Box (the hard shell box) only to get home and find it doesn't fit quite right w/ the harness bar. Since 4 point harnesses are most important I plan to do some mods to make it work (I do like the box a lot, especially with the trick brake light). Anyone already got experience with this? I'm thinking of bolting a piece of plywood to the rack then screwing the box to the plywood. Seems possible to maybe move the rack back also but perhaps overly complicated…the upside being you could then use the supplied quick locks. Any other ideas?

Anyway have the Can Am 73 liter bags and the harness bar? Do they work together?

If anyone doesn't have the harness bar and wants to make me an offer for the Premium Box (especially if you're in the Portland Oregon area) I'll consider it (then just buy the bags).

thanks!

Adam

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Craw

The Box can't slide forward enough on the rack to connect in because the back of the box hits the harness bar. It is off a couple of inches.

Well perhaps I'm an idiot in how I installed the harness bar but I can't sort out how I could have put it in there differently (for example it is attached to the roll bar hoop closest to the seats and at the most logical height, moving it higher would only seem to push it back more. My Maverick is a 2014 XRS DPS 2 seat. Is yours a 2 or 4 seat?

Hopefully I'm being dumb and will be able to figure it out. Perhaps I should call them.

Good luck!

Adam

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another update: I called BRP and they acknowledged they don't immediately fit together but then eluded to a work around that I needed to discuss w/ my dealer. I called my dealer and they hadn't a clue. So the dealer is calling Can Am to sort out what's needed to make it work out. I suspect Can Am realizes this is a big problem (harness bars must be really popular) and have come up with a modification that involves some additional parts…perhaps it moves back the rack so the box can fit. Fingers crossed! I'll update others with what I find out. I like the box a lot so hope it can work as it should.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Excellent! I called and asked my dealer and he has no clue. If you have factory harness bar there is only one way/location it will mount. I tried various ways to see if I could get it closer it appears there really is only one way to install.

Another update: I called BRP and they acknowledged they don't immediately fit together but then eluded to a work around that I needed to discuss w/ my dealer. I called my dealer and they hadn't a clue. So the dealer is calling Can Am to sort out what's needed to make it work out. I suspect Can Am realizes this is a big problem (harness bars must be really popular) and have come up with a modification that involves some additional parts…perhaps it moves back the rack so the box can fit. Fingers crossed! I'll update others with what I find out. I like the box a lot so hope it can work as it should.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Take it back to dealer and try a dragonfire bar instead
It does seem the Can Am bar angles back making it worse while the Dragon Fire bar attaches differently (horizontal brace) and goes straight across so would give more room. So I just might end up going with Dragon Fire. I wish the Dragon Fire bar had harness hook loops!

·
Registered
121 Posts
It does seem the Can Am bar angles back making it worse while the Dragon Fire bar attaches differently (horizontal brace) and goes straight across so would give more room. So I just might end up going with Dragon Fire. I wish the Dragon Fire bar had harness hook loops!

I just looked at my factory bar and at pictures of the Dragon bar. Seems you might get 1-1.5" more room with the dragon bar. We would lose the quick clip on the factory harness's though. I'd rather try and make the factory bar work with the trunk if I can. Let me know what your dealer finds out.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Took off my Can Am harness bar tonight and tried it every direction I could think of with the box in its proper place. No luck. Will look forward to dealer insights. Otherwise look to buy another harness bar, probably Dragon Fire. Seems there will be just enough space for it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
121 Posts
Took off my Can Am harness bar tonight and tried it every direction I could think of with the box in its proper place. No luck. Will look forward to dealer insights. Otherwise look to buy another harness bar, probably Dragon Fire. Seems there will be just enough space for it.

Did BRP say why they couldn't wouldn't tell you instead of having to ask your dealer?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I dont see how any harness bar is much different in regards to how and where it mounts. I think it would be an issue with all of them.
All the bars are different and there's three potential mounting points. I have the same problem as the OP. Trunk will not open far enough without hitting the bar. My brp bar is going back. Looks like then turnkey is the lowest profile (seat to bar) of any that I've seen, but I really like the looks if the dragonfire. I might end up just making one that clears my trunk and cooler.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BRP didn't say why they wouldn't tell me. Good to know I should look into Turnkey too.

·
Registered
121 Posts
All the bars are different and there's three potential mounting points. I have the same problem as the OP. Trunk will not open far enough without hitting the bar. My brp bar is going back. Looks like then turnkey is the lowest profile (seat to bar) of any that I've seen, but I really like the looks if the dragonfire. I might end up just making one that clears my trunk and cooler.

I have factory harness and straps. I wish Turnkey had a loop on the harness bar to attach the quick clips of the BRP harnesses.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have factory harness and straps. I wish Turnkey had a loop on the harness bar to attach the quick clips of the BRP harnesses.
Me too. I got the BRP / Pro Armor harnesses because of the seat belt style buckle is quicker and easier than the other types and I like their quick clips. I'll probably end up welding on the clip attachment if I buy a bar instead of making one.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi again all

Well my dealer talked to BRP and there isn't some genius solution to get the Premium Box to work with the BRP/ Can AM Harness Bar. So I'm returning my BRP bar (thankfully SK Northwest is being really cool about this) and they've ordered me a Dragon Fire Racing bar. I believe the DFR bar has the highest chance of working since it seems I'll be able to slide it forward the most of any bar and also it'll sit the lowest so to not interfere w/ opening the box. Fingers crossed this will work! Good luck to all others.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Hi again all

Well my dealer talked to BRP and there isn't some genius solution to get the Premium Box to work with the BRP/ Can AM Harness Bar. So I'm returning my BRP bar (thankfully SK Northwest is being really cool about this) and they've ordered me a Dragon Fire Racing bar. I believe the DFR bar has the highest chance of working since it seems I'll be able to slide it forward the most of any bar and also it'll sit the lowest so to not interfere w/ opening the box. Fingers crossed this will work! Good luck to all others.
post pics when you get it all installed....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts