Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I changed my preload (spring length 23 1/4 Front and 26.5" rear as well set crossover 4.5" front and 6" rear) per the FOX video for my XDS and my ride height is 15". The XDS is brand new with only 40 miles on it. Am I to assume (bad word) that the suspension will settle 1/2"?

What have others set to with final ride height on factory wheels/tires? I've only found the one thread on this so far, but sure there's others buried deep.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My stock height front and back was 12.5", double checking book and other spec references they state 14". I did read others say they were closer to 12.5 stock. Just baffles me how they advertise X, but reality is Y.

I will only be doing trail riding in the mtns that include crawling and some occasional water burms (whoops). I'm going to leave my height @ 15 for now and take it out next weekend to compare since my measurements are that of the FOX recommendations video. My greatest concern is for wear on the CV joints.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Half tank of gas and unloaded,factory tires

Front= 15 1/4"
Rear= 14 3/4"

Ride height was pretty much the same with 30" sand tires all around ....low pressure at about 5.5psi

I was 12" in the front and 11.5" in the rear from the factory. I got about 200 miles at the factory setting and 100 with the fox race settings. What a difference in handling! It honestly feels 10 times better in the trails now.

·
Registered
231 Posts
My stock height front and back was 12.5", double checking book and other spec references they state 14". I did read others say they were closer to 12.5 stock. Just baffles me how they advertise X, but reality is Y.

I will only be doing trail riding in the mtns that include crawling and some occasional water burms (whoops). I'm going to leave my height @ 15 for now and take it out next weekend to compare since my measurements are that of the FOX recommendations video. My greatest concern is for wear on the CV joints.
I set mine up the same way when it was stock and it really improves the ride. Also decrease your high and low speed compression and it will help with the harsh chop at slower speeds.

Your stock springs will sag over time and use. Keep an eye on your ride height and add preload to keep you in the sweet spot of your shocks.

For a real improvement contact a shock tuner for a revalve and new springs.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the sanity checks! I've only owned the X3 XDS for 3 days now, and digging through lots of great info on here. I'm going to trail ride with new settings before adjusting high and low speed compression and rebound to control variables and find the 'sweet spot' .. :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have an XRS, but from what I've been seeing, alot of the shock settings translate between the XDS and XRS.

I've had mine for a little over a month, and I adjusted my suspension before I even had 10 miles on the machine. Adjusted preload until I was sitting at 15" of ground clearance front and rear.

Only have 150 on the machine so far, and my springs already settled down to 14" of clearance. So I added more preload, and now have the 15.75" in rear, to compensate for weight, and 15" in the front. This seems to be the happy spot for my machine. But I think keeping your XDS at 14" is the happy spot for them. My rear crossovers are set to 10.5" when measuring from top of shock threads to top of crossover.

I live on the east coast, so it's alot of tighter trails, and rocky roads. I found that opening my high speed and low speed compression all the way gives the best ride. Still would like to get them revalved someday though. Also as of now I have my rebound set to Fox's specs they state in the video. Have to do a little more testing with rebound though

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Nate... I think 14-14.5 is the sweet spot as well for XDS based on what I've read.. based on how much yours settled in, I might stay @ 15 front/rear and allow some settle to occur. I was hoping others would have had similiar experience with settling. Another thing that people don't account for with IFS and IRS is there is a point where to much pre-load will limit our ability to fully articulate as well. This in the sense that you can push the arms down so far you lose the ability to drop any lower and minimize the amount of drop which limits total articulation in the mtns. I don't suspect the dunes guys need to fully articulate.

Have you done any testing with a jack or ramp to test affects on articulation? (ability to keep one tires on the ground while raising one side) I've not seen any posts in this regards. Any others with input here would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Yep 14-14.5 is about where you want to be on stock tires. My springs also continue to compress. I'm back down to ~14" on the rear with 32s. A shock tune is definitely on my short list. Even with compression settings all the way out the ride is still on the harsh side IMO. Disconnecting the front sway bar made the most noticeable improvement but at the expense of unwanted body roll. I've lifted the rear corner a couple of times in aggressive turns where I never would have with the sway connected.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Disconnecting the front sway bar made the most noticeable improvement but at the expense of unwanted body roll. I've lifted the rear corner a couple of times in aggressive turns where I never would have with the sway connected.
Have you successfully disconnected this without removing it? Any issues with disconnecting and not removing if you've done this? I've got to believe we can find or fashion some quick disconnect pins and a way to hold the bar out of the way.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thanks Nate... I think 14-14.5 is the sweet spot as well for XDS based on what I've read.. based on how much yours settled in, I might stay @ 15 front/rear and allow some settle to occur. I was hoping others would have had similiar experience with settling. Another thing that people don't account for with IFS and IRS is there is a point where to much pre-load will limit our ability to fully articulate as well. This in the sense that you can push the arms down so far you lose the ability to drop any lower and minimize the amount of drop which limits total articulation in the mtns. I don't suspect the dunes guys need to fully articulate.

Have you done any testing with a jack or ramp to test affects on articulation? (ability to keep one tires on the ground while raising one side) I've not seen any posts in this regards. Any others with input here would be greatly appreciated.
I have not tested any articulation yet, but with the front sway bar connected, the articulation is not going to be that great either way.

I have also be thinking of either disconnecting or removing the front sway bar from the machine, and compensating for body roll by lowering the front cross overs so they engage sooner.

Having a way to quick disconnect would be awesome. Either by pin, or what would be really cool is an electric disconnect like they have for jeeps.. I may be asking too much though with that lol

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
While lowering the crossovers help with roll they wont by themselves control roll like the swaybar does. Even with them lowered the body roll is still noticeable compared to having the sway attached.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Disconnecting the front sway bar made the most noticeable improvement but at the expense of unwanted body roll. I've lifted the rear corner a couple of times in aggressive turns where I never would have with the sway connected.
Have you successfully disconnected this without removing it? Any issues with disconnecting and not removing if you've done this? I've got to believe we can find or fashion some quick disconnect pins and a way to hold the bar out of the way.
Yes I only disconnect one bolt but have not removed the sway bar

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an XRS, but from what I've been seeing, alot of the shock settings translate between the XDS and XRS.

I've had mine for a little over a month, and I adjusted my suspension before I even had 10 miles on the machine. Adjusted preload until I was sitting at 15" of ground clearance front and rear.

Only have 150 on the machine so far, and my springs already settled down to 14" of clearance. So I added more preload, and now have the 15.75" in rear, to compensate for weight, and 15" in the front. This seems to be the happy spot for my machine. But I think keeping your XDS at 14" is the happy spot for them. My rear crossovers are set to 10.5" when measuring from top of shock threads to top of crossover.

I live on the east coast, so it's alot of tighter trails, and rocky roads. I found that opening my high speed and low speed compression all the way gives the best ride. Still would like to get them revalved someday though. Also as of now I have my rebound set to Fox's specs they state in the video. Have to do a little more testing with rebound though
@nate3289

Nate, where do you have your front crossover set to?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts