Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I have both the Honda eu3000i and the Honda Handi i3000 generators. Both have issues running 15000 BTU RV air Conditioners on hot days. My friends eu3000i have the same issues. They sometimes run the 13500 AC except in extreme heat. Hope your runs better.

Friends with the HF Predator 3500 don't have issues in the extreme heat running their 15.000 BTU RV AC.
They went on sale so I bought one. About $100 bucks off.
Almost 50 lbs lighter than the big Honda and in the recent 103F heat ran the RV 15000 AC with ease. Just pick up a little load and hummed at 50% capacity.

I regularly buy HF stuff but have never had any confidence in their stuff. It was usually I need the tool or item today and if it grenades after one use,, well, it was cheap, I got the project done.

So far I'm impressed. Cheap and friends say if it pukes HF offers a no hassle exchange they say is real.

·
Premium Member
6,497 Posts
Have you installed hard start kits on the AC's?

If not I highly recommend it.

For 10 dollars and ten minutes it does help with initial start up of the compressor.

Tim

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you installed hard start kits on the AC's?

If not I highly recommend it.

For 10 dollars and ten minutes it does help with initial start up of the compressor.

Tim
Don't need it. Everything starts fine, the Hondas died in the heat after some running time.
We tried everything. Turning off the Batt chargers, put the refer on gas, generator in the shade.

Hondas in our dune group didn't seem to like sustained loads in the heat. The Cheapo HF's in the group seem to be fine with it. Even sitting in the back of guys trucks in the heat of the sun.
Damfino,, I still don't trust HF stuff.

I'm a die hard Honda fan but so far impressed with the HF.

·
Premium Member
9,356 Posts

I ordered the big wheel kit.
First oil change went easy. Some glitter in the oil I was told to be expected.
So far, nice unit.
1/3 the cost of the Honda and handles electrical loads in the heat good and with the exchange policy can't get hurt.
That is too cool!

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
There's a series of Honda engines with recalls for the exact same reason. I have 2 units with 27 hp Honda motors, both would shut down in 95° + day after 30 + minutes.

Apparently the fuel pump / lines crossed over to too of the motor (near the air filter). Heat caused vapor lock. Recall parts replaces the pump & fuel lines, no further problems.

Maybe a totally different engine on the generators than we use to drive high pressure pumps, just my 2 pennies worth...

But why not HF for 1/3rd the cost, even if they only last 1 season or 2.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
The Honda Handi I3000 is rated less the the EU3000. I only have two 13,500's on my trailer and I have two EU3000's I run in parallel if I need to run both AC units. I can see were the 15,000 would be hard on them, mine don't have any trouble with the 13,500's though as long as other things are turned off to start one with one generator. Good find on the HF Predator hope they turn out decent, I had a Kipor 3000 that was enclosed like the Honda it was quiet, probably the same output as the Handi Honda but the pos would go through regulators and at $500 a pop for them that got old. Bought one regulator then a year later it smoked another then in the scrap steel bin it went. Hopefully the Predator will be better especially if they will take them back but it's still a pain in ass when they shit in the middle of your trip.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's a series of Honda engines with recalls for the exact same reason. I have 2 units with 27 hp Honda motors, both would shut down in 95° + day after 30 + minutes.

Apparently the fuel pump / lines crossed over to too of the motor (near the air filter). Heat caused vapor lock. Recall parts replaces the pump & fuel lines, no further problems.

Maybe a totally different engine on the generators than we use to drive high pressure pumps, just my 2 pennies worth...

But why not HF for 1/3rd the cost, even if they only last 1 season or 2.

That glitter in the oil,, that's the red flag this may not last that long. Pistons cast from melted Yan Jing beer cans. But they were recycled!
Like early 2 stroke engines, ya break these in real easy.
But HF with the exchange warranty everyone says is no hassle,, this is going to be interesting.
I start my generators and they run a week maybe 10 days straight. Oil changes at 100 hours.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

103F outside ran one 15000AC all day at half rated running load, engine just picked up speed a little and quietly hummed the entire time.
Our Honda eu3000 would eventually have a tantrum and quit, the Handi just hated it to begin with.

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
That glitter in the oil,, that's the red flag this may not last that long. Pistons cast from melted Yan Jing beer cans. But they were recycled!
Like early 2 stroke engines, ya break these in real easy.
But HF with the exchange warranty everyone says is no hassle,, this is going to be interesting.
I start my generators and they run a week maybe 10 days straight. Oil changes at 100 hours.
Yup, glitter in the oil is never a good thing after the initial break in period.

We ask a lot of these engines. The ones I run primarily drive 4K to 10K PSI, 6 - 20 GPM high pressure pumps, which usually run consistantly for several hours at a time. 116° yesterday, surface temperatures measuring 160°+. Doesn't get bellow 100° some nights until after midnight, if ever. We specialize in large parking garage high pressure steam cleaning restorations, 1.2 BTU burners heat the 10 GPM water up to 300°. Many garages do not offer much ventilation so the equipment and crew work in extreme conditions.

·
Premium Member
2,081 Posts
A few years ago my Honda took a major dump ,probably had 6000 hrs on it replaced it with a champion 3400 with remote start and it runs a 15000 with no trouble and it was quieter than the honda , it was 1/2 the price of the honda and I really liked the wireless remote I put a1000+ hrs a year on a genni , got lazy and dident change the oil and might have ran it low and started getting a lot of metal in the oil so got a new pulsar 4000 with remote it cost less than 600.00 ? What the hell Ill try it out have a little less than 400 hrs on it and running great so far get about 12/14 hrs on a tank 3 gal runs at about 1/2 the rpms of the honda and no trouble with the a/c was looking at the predator but about an hour drive to the closest hf , amazon deliverd in 2 days for free

·
Registered
226 Posts
I ran the predator generator yesterday for the first time. Ran my 15000 no problems. Thing is ridiculous quite!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Some of the crew I ride with run the HFs and are very pleased with them. Some of them are several years old. They are very quiet at idle and even at load they are still quiet. I bought one of the Champion s with the remote start and it's loud and hard to start. Not impressed at all.

·
Premium Member
2,081 Posts
Some of the crew I ride with run the HFs and are very pleased with them. Some of them are several years old. They are very quiet at idle and even at load they are still quiet. I bought one of the Champion s with the remote start and it's loud and hard to start. Not impressed at all.
pull the spark plug and regap it , mine did the same thing till i regaped the plug ? Mine was quieter than my honda , is yours an open frame or the enclosed like the honda or preditor , I have a champion 9000 and its stupid loud

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A few years ago my Honda took a major dump ,probably had 6000 hrs on it replaced it with a champion 3400 with remote start and it runs a 15000 with no trouble and it was quieter than the honda , it was 1/2 the price of the honda and I really liked the wireless remote I put a1000+ hrs a year on a genni , got lazy and dident change the oil and might have ran it low and started getting a lot of metal in the oil so got a new pulsar 4000 with remote it cost less than 600.00 ? What the hell Ill try it out have a little less than 400 hrs on it and running great so far get about 12/14 hrs on a tank 3 gal runs at about 1/2 the rpms of the honda and no trouble with the a/c was looking at the predator but about an hour drive to the closest hf , amazon deliverd in 2 days for free
One of the guys in our group is a budget duner. He really has to watch his spending to keep his ship afloat. He bought a new Honda 2000 and right out of the box it had the common bad exhaust valve. Honda refused the warranty so he fixed it himself. Two years later the engine grenaded and he rebuilt it because money was so tight. Another friend had the same issue right out of the box with his Honda 2000 and he too was shut out by Honda.

So, this makes people's good experiences with the Predators no hassle exchange warranty look even better.
You can renew the warranty when it expires too.

My Hondas have been reliable. I dunno why the pull cord on my Honda lawnmower lasts 20 years, and the Honda generators snap in a year.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts