Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I backed my 2018 Maverick Trail 1000 DPS off of the trail and into the lake. Drivers side partially submerged. When pulling it out the winch cable broke it fell back into the water fully submerged on drivers side to the passenger seat. Oil on top of the pistons, got that fixed. Went about 5 miles it went into limp mode shows check engine light and PPS fault, found water in the front fuse box. Got it dried out and it worked for about 20 miles then back into limp mode with PPS fault again. After extensive searchs it seems it may be the TPS. I removed the air box and slightly covered intake while riding, check engine light and limp mode went off. After about 75 miles it did it again. I got home and cleaned off and the limp mode and PPS fault goes off. I don't mind paying for either a new pedal or throtlle body but I need to know it is fixed because I can't trust it now. I don't want to be 30 miles from the truck again and have it go into limp mode. Let me know if anyone has thoughts or ideas. Thanks

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
279 Posts
That's a tough one for the internet. Electrical gremlins...

If you want to go testing things like the TPS your best bet is to download the service manual for $25.

·
Registered
128 Posts
PPS is Pedal Position Sensor... TPS is Throttle Position Sensor. Just making sure you're looking in the right area. They could be related, but i'm not sure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PPS. In reading what info is avalible it seemed they may be related. It seems Can Am doesn't sell just the pedal sensor, but the RZR one is the same. Going to see if I can find one. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
128 Posts
PPS. In reading what info is avalible it seemed they may be related. It seems Can Am doesn't sell just the pedal sensor, but the RZR one is the same. Going to see if I can find one. Thanks for the response.
Right. It would have to be separate on these EFI Machines with fly by wire throttle. The PPS tells the computer in percentage how much throttle you're commanding, in return the computer tells the Throttle body motor to open the throttle body to that percentage and uses the TPS to return information about where the butterfly is to check itself. That is if your machine uses a throttle body actuator or just a plain old cable, then it would be different. If the two aren't showing the same reading due to a dirty throttle body, it will set the code, if you have a problem with just one or the other, you'll get the code. I think they would have to be separate, but I'm just not 100% sure how can am handled this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you. It is electronic throttle body. Anu idea where to buy just the sensor. Both Can Am and polaris use the same sensor but only sold as a pedal unit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts