Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe its just cuz I've only got 10 hrs on mine and haven't been to the dunes but after driving xp's with eps and hating the sensitivity, I like the stock steering! Am I alone or just haven't driven it enough to hate it yet?

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
people were saying for stock no power steering that the mav turned good ,

had to do with the placement of the box and rods or something they were saying

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
It's ok at speed but the tight technical stuff I would love to have it. Maybe Santa will leave it under my tree!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I just put it in mine and its awesome in the tight stuff and just normal rocky trails you get no bump steer

·
Registered
412 Posts
Its great in ALL conditions. Its NOT bump steer people are getting though guys, its ruts, rocks, trees est. that jerks the wheel outa your hands (and breaks some thumbs )

Then it slams the wheel ( if running fast ) all way to wheel lock position. breaking ball joints, steering links, pulling axles out and busting CVs.

With the power steering, you can FLY through the roughest terrian with one hand steering and no worries, except spilling the drink in your other hand.

Just check your front toe on tires. Should be toed in about 1/4" to 3/8" then it tracks GREAT

I even just changed to the Quick ratio Rackzilla system to make more responsive . GET IT AND NEVER LOOK BACK. You will be HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY

·
Registered
403 Posts
I concur with the OLDGUY! I've had my Maverick both ways, and I'll never be without power steering. You can drive 1 handed in the roughest terrain and even through the woods where it's tight.

Just spend the money, it's well worth it. SuperATV has a great kit, and after meeting those guys last weekend, I feel even better about having a good product.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I only ride in the tight stuff and have driven a Commander with EPS. I hated the feel. There are many CAN AM racers out there who do not run EPS by choice. I like the fact that the vehicle feels connected to the trail without EPS. Sure, I get a little bump steer and yes it can be difficult to steer when stopped. The manual steering will spring back to center much faster then EPS, which enables me to come out of a turn faster. I have yet to drive a MAV with the latest and greatest. Before making a decision, beg someone for a ride in theirs with EPS.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
If I were running stock tires I wouldn't have ever installed power steering. But with big mud grips ps really helps

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I have never driven a SxS with PS or a quickener but there both on my list for next year.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had a Commander and after a weekend of trail riding that thing would wear me out. I love the power steering in my new Mav max...very easy to get use to...can't imagine not having it now.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
That's what everyone says. Hmmmmm?

·
Registered
278 Posts
i have never had power steering on any atv or side by side, my only question is with the tie rods and steering components being borderline weak anyway, wouldn't power steering be harder on tie rods and such?? not as much feed back in the steering wheel and tie rods taking all the load??? again i dont know because i have never tried it, just makes sense to me that power steering would break more parts...? back in the rhino days my buddy installed a steering stabilizer and we went pretty fast down a rough trail, he was loving it, little to no feedback in the wheel where my wheel was bouncing all over, but.. by the end of the day his steering knuckle/spindle was bent where the tie rod attaches, bent bad!! we replaced it and left the steering dampener off..

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
The week tierods need to be replaced with or without power steering. My recommendations... tie rods and power steering and not just because I sell them but because I have broken a wrist in the rhino days so I'm a fan of the power steering.

Devious PowerSports ,Tyler

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for everyone's comments. I think at higher speeds the steering is perfect and don't know if I want to give that up just for slow speed convenience and end up with super sensitive steering going fast which is why I bought the Damn car in the first place! :haha:

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Yup power steering all the way. I have it and its a huge improvement.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I would never drive an Off Road car with out power steering. I prefer my equipment to take the beating in stead of my fingers, thumbs and wrists. One you have had the steering wheel ripped out of your hand a break a finger you will come around to my way of thinking lol. Just to clear up some nomenclature on the term "Bump Steer". It has nothing to do with trail feedback. Bump steer is the amount of tire toe in/out thru it length of travel.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts