Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
reading a thread on another forum and thought i would pass on the info.

2003-2007 Saturn Ion power steering units, with METAL controll box.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/04-05-06-07-02-03-saturn-vue-electronic-power-steering-pump-column-assembly-/360724054647?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53fcd44277&vxp=mtr

controll box wiring

Saturn Vue ion Chevrolet Equinox ? Electric Power Steering Controller Box ? Epas | eBay

How to adjust steering assistance:
Adjustment knob turned fully anti-clockwise - no steering assistance.
Adjustment knob turned fully clockwise - maximum steering assistance.
Between this two points, you have various intermediate steering assistance levels.
This controller box will fit steering columns from:
Saturn Vue - from 2002 to 2007
Chevrolet Equinox - from 2005 to 2007
Saturn Ion - from 2003 to 2006 - only in steering column with metal ECU case.

so for under $300 you can buy the ps unit, controll box, a couple of u-joints. And then fab up some brackets. Sounds like a decent deal for the guy not afraid to fabricate a little and save $350 when compared to aftermarket bolt on kits with no adjustment for assistance.

what say you?

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
These kits would be cake if they have proper electric diagrams! Wonder what the potentiometer is for? Speed sensitive?
Did you notice dudes spare key?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
With all these electric assories, (steering, stereo, LED's, etc) the mag is gonna get overloaded from the amp draw.

Why not drive a hydraulic pump off the end of the crank? Or spin a car alternator orr the end of the crank? I'm building a blower drive to spin a screw supercharger on my mav, got to thinking about guys needing to get more power to run LED's, stereos, & power steering. One could easily drive an automotive alternator off the drive I'm making, then drive whatever electrical component, without fear of wanting more electrical power.

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With all these electric assories, (steering, stereo, LED's, etc) the mag is gonna get overloaded from the amp draw.

Why not drive a hydraulic pump off the end of the crank? Or spin a car alternator orr the end of the crank? I'm building a blower drive to spin a screw supercharger on my mav, got to thinking about guys needing to get more power to run LED's, stereos, & power steering. One could easily drive an automotive alternator off the drive I'm making, then drive whatever electrical component, without fear of wanting more electrical power.
do it!

moar power please!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
495 Posts

Would it be able to bolt up to my 09 outlander 800 motor

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
That ps motor won't work because it has a black plastic ecu controller been there done that lol you have to find one with the metel ecu controller

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
I made my own ps kit 2 years ago for
My commander I tried that very
Same ps unit it wont work It needs some kind of gm can data signal to turn on

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I am going to guess that this unit is not water proof or even water resistant beings that it was designed for a passenger car…..would need to take that into consideration...

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
I am going to guess that this unit is not water proof or even water resistant beings that it was designed for a passenger car…..would need to take that into consideration...
It just as water resistant as the first gen Ez steer or wicked built the motor and controller are built a lot better made in Japan not China like Ez steer or wicked built

·
Registered
157 Posts
Camamxteam did you use the same little potentiometer/controller that's listed or did you build your own, I know this the Maverick forum but could you post some pics of your setup .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Electric Power Steering for less than $200

I recently installed electric power steering in a 1966 Mustang. I did not use a kit, I simply pulled a column style EPS from a newer GM vehicle and then spliced the unit into the original steering column.

The results far exceeded my expectations and the cost was less than $200. I designed a controller that automatically adjusts assist level based on vehicle speed, so that the steering feel is "just right" regardless of speed.

I documented (with pictures) how I went about this on a Vintage Mustang forum. If anyone is interested do a google search for "Best $200 mod ever (EPS)"

or

follow this link to page 7 where the details start: Best $200 mod ever (EPS). - Page 7 - Vintage Mustang Forums

Any questions just ask. Complete-slr.jpg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts