Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search, but didn't see anything about this particular problem. (Max XRS DPS model) We were at Buttercup/Midway doing some hard duning this past weekend when all of a sudden I noticed my power steering had gone out. Also, the instrument cluster went blank as well. I'm assuming this is an electrical related problem. Plan on checking the fuses and the obvious stuff tonight and go from there. Since I don't have it handy at the moment, anyone have a fuse/wiring schematic showing a fuse or relay correlating with both the P/S system and the instrument cluster? These must be on the same circuit?

Anyone else had this happen?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Check MF1 (your 40A main fuse) and Main Relay (R2).....also check F4 (10A fuse). If you lost your brake lights and tail lights too, it is the F4 fuse. Lots of folks even back on the Commanders had issues with this fuse and swapped it out with a 15 amp fuse and haven't had any issues.

Reactions: SCOTTDMAX

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check MF1 (your 40A main fuse) and Main Relay (R2).....also check F4 (10A fuse). If you lost your brake lights and tail lights too, it is the F4 fuse. Lots of folks even back on the Commanders had issues with this fuse and swapped it out with a 15 amp fuse and haven't had any issues.
Thanks, Heavy! I just checked things out, and it was in fact the F4 10A fuse blown. I replaced it with a larger 15A fuse, keyed things up, an my instruments came on for about 3 seconds before it immediately blew out the larger 15A fuse. :disappointed: Apparently I have a short somewhere. Any ideas where to begin my search?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Thanks, Heavy! I just checked things out, and it was in fact the F4 10A fuse blown. I replaced it with a larger 15A fuse, keyed things up, an my instruments came on for about 3 seconds before it immediately blew out the larger 15A fuse. :disappointed: Apparently I have a short somewhere. Any ideas where to begin my search?
here is the power distribution diagram (disregards the red box). Follow the output of the F4 fuse on the sheet and you can see everything it powers. unplug all of them and then replace the fuse and try again and then reconnect one system at a time until you find the faulty circuit and then check the wiring for the short.

Power Distribution.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
The same issue happened to me yesterday. Any help would be appreciated. I was on a 70 mile fast ride with four people in the vehicle and a hard left hand corner in 98 degrees + or - 15 degree ride in AZ up and over 4 peaks and then back. It was when I was coming back almost to the apex and then to the decent I lost my power steering and the dash. I was afraid to turn it off in case it didn't re-fire. Two fuses were blown and I swapped relays 5 ways to determine I didn't have a bad relay. I unplugged the dash, unplugged both cables in electronic steering, I just put the low/sport mod in and unplugged that too. I also unplugged DPS switch and ECO/SPORT switch. I blow the 10a fuse on the first mili-second of turning on the key. WTF? where do I look next?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
The same issue happened to me yesterday. Any help would be appreciated. I was on a 70 mile fast ride with four people in the vehicle and a hard left hand corner in 98 degrees + or - 15 degree ride in AZ up and over 4 peaks and then back. It was when I was coming back almost to the apex and then to the decent I lost my power steering and the dash. I was afraid to turn it off in case it didn't re-fire. Two fuses were blown and I swapped relays 5 ways to determine I didn't have a bad relay. I unplugged the dash, unplugged both cables in electronic steering, I just put the low/sport mod in and unplugged that too. I also unplugged DPS switch and ECO/SPORT switch. I blow the 10a fuse on the first mili-second of turning on the key. WTF? where do I look next?
Which fuses did you blow for starters....I assume it was F4. If so, pull the fuse with the key off and put an ohms meter on the right side of the fuse block (fuse output side) and check resistance to ground. If you have a low resistance, which I assume you do, then you have something on that circuit shorted to ground. Start by checking you accessory plugs behind the switch panel and also you tail lights...if you are also blowing the 5A F8 fuse, it could be your harness going to your gauges as it is powered by both the F4 (10A) and F8 (5A) fuses......

·
Registered
12 Posts
Found It! License plate light. It is piggybacked off the tail lights. Direct short due to heat. Melted wires. Hard to find because it was behind the license plate. Doesn't make sense until you look at the wire diagram [F4 10a] and what that is linked to or hear about these stories on Maverick Forums. Hope this helps the next person who encounters this issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Help!

Found It! License plate light. It is piggybacked off the tail lights. Direct short due to heat. Melted wires. Hard to find because it was behind the license plate. Doesn't make sense until you look at the wire diagram [F4 10a] and what that is linked to or hear about these stories on Maverick Forums. Hope this helps the next person who encounters this issue.

Where is this license plate light connector exactly. Im having the same issue and cant find out where the short is.

Thanks,

Trev

·
Premium Member
7,089 Posts
Wow, 4 years ago, I hope Mega sends this guy some kind of newb search award!

Trevor, to my knowledge the license plate light is an aftermarket or dealer thing. In my experience most people don't do a great job of routing the wires or making the connection. You will need to follow the wires by eye.

I have seen 2 license plate jobs melt the wire on the exhaust. Just my experience though.

Let us know what you find and WELCOME!
Tim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Found it!! Maverick 10 amp fuse keeps popping

Wow, 4 years ago, I hope Mega sends this guy some kind of newb search award!

Trevor, to my knowledge the license plate light is an aftermarket or dealer thing. In my experience most people don't do a great job of routing the wires or making the connection. You will need to follow the wires by eye.

I have seen 2 license plate jobs melt the wire on the exhaust. Just my experience though.

Let us know what you find and WELCOME!
Tim

Found my short. It was some random wire burnt up on the engine block mount. I made a video of it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts