Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
The Fuel and Ignition units (which is what the Commander and Maverick are) allow +/- 20 degrees of timing. For a normally aspirated engine on pump fuel I would not recommend advancing it more than 5 degrees.

·
Registered
2019 max R turbo
826 Posts
The Mav has 12:1 pistons like my commander and when we tuned the commander timing had to be pulled on top with 91 octane for power. What is your take on the issue?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Is there any benefit in performance when you increase the fuel pressure by %?
No, at the end of the day you are looking for the optimum AFR. You can achieve this with stock fuel pressure and a PCV for just about anything except high boost or nitrous applications.

·
Registered
2019 max R turbo
826 Posts
I had mine looked at by the dealer n they said it was no big deal that the check engine is on

·
Registered
58 Posts
Are there really no benefits to running the PCV on a stock Maverick? I'm running a James Dean tuner on my FI KTM 350EXC-F and usually you can get better throttle response, easier starting and a slight power bump over the factory map alone.

-Jeff

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
If you look at the map you will see that we added up to 20% more fuel off the bottom in some areas. This is a big difference and should equate to better throttle response for sure. USAGUY I believe stated he felt a difference by adding the PCV to his unit.

·
Registered
2019 max R turbo
826 Posts
Yes I did get the Maverick to accelerate faster than the stock Maverick but it took me a couple of trips to Glamis and some fine tuning on the fuel map to get this done. I also removed the stock air box (weller intake system) and added a 58 mm TB which caused the car to need a different fuel map over stock. BTW Kelly at KMSPerformance added a bypass to the sensor for the stock Air Fuel sensors to remove the check engine light on my car.

The PC5 with autotune on the Maverick is a must if you want to improve your performance especially if you add the right mods.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you look at the map you will see that we added up to 20% more fuel off the bottom in some areas. This is a big difference and should equate to better throttle response for sure. USAGUY I believe stated he felt a difference by adding the PCV to his unit.
I'm pretty sure you're replying to me. Just FYI, it helps avoid confusion if you include the quote you're replying to :)

I took a look at the latest DynoJet offerings and I really like the PCV and AutoTune module (even the LCD unit). Regarding the AutoTune module, I see it uses wide-band O2's - potentially giving the unit a much wider range of feedback to use for fuel tuning. Would there be any benefit (stock or modified) to creating a dyno-tuned base map if you are using the AutoTune?

Thanks,
-Jeff

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I'm pretty sure you're replying to me. Just FYI, it helps avoid confusion if you include the quote you're replying to :)

I took a look at the latest DynoJet offerings and I really like the PCV and AutoTune module (even the LCD unit). Regarding the AutoTune module, I see it uses wide-band O2's - potentially giving the unit a much wider range of feedback to use for fuel tuning. Would there be any benefit (stock or modified) to creating a dyno-tuned base map if you are using the AutoTune?

Thanks,
-Jeff
Normally I would say there is no replacement for a good dyno tuned map but in the case of a CVT the Autotune is the best way to go. I have found that there are areas you will hit while in real world conditions that is very difficult to duplicate on the dyno. Autotune works awesome on these units.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I see yall have got some products up on the website. Excuse my ignorance in the matter because I dont have any experience with the power commander . But is the auto tune pretty much a plug and play ? I'm not really wanting to get much into the "custom" tune side of things. Just rather buy something that I can plug in and roll out .

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
To get the most out of the Autotune you really should look at the trim tables from time to time to make sure it is not maxed out and apply those changed to your base map. As far as plug and play goes installing the PCV with the best map that correlates to your setup is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
A Powercommander is gonna be nice on these machines, but the main problem with power production is the fact that the ecu shuts the throttle under certain conditions. Worst thing with my machine is that annoying throttle lag. Working on a standalone ecu for these, remove or set all limiters, full control of dbw throttle, (1:1 ratio, no lag or ecu shutting) full timing & fuel control. I already have BBK's, intakes, cams, etc for these motors, all we need is a way to control the engine fully, at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Yes I did get the Maverick to accelerate faster than the stock Maverick but it took me a couple of trips to Glamis and some fine tuning on the fuel map to get this done. I also removed the stock air box (weller intake system) and added a 58 mm TB which caused the car to need a different fuel map over stock. BTW Kelly at KMSPerformance added a bypass to the sensor for the stock Air Fuel sensors to remove the check engine light on my car.

The PC5 with autotune on the Maverick is a must if you want to improve your performance especially if you add the right mods.
USAGUY,

Can you please post a pic of your Weller install? I would like to see how much room it takes up compared to the Commander.

Thanks

BigD

·
Registered
2019 max R turbo
826 Posts
A Powercommander is gonna be nice on these machines, but the main problem with power production is the fact that the ecu shuts the throttle under certain conditions. Worst thing with my machine is that annoying throttle lag. Working on a standalone ecu for these, remove or set all limiters, full control of dbw throttle, (1:1 ratio, no lag or ecu shutting) full timing & fuel control. I already have BBK's, intakes, cams, etc for these motors, all we need is a way to control the engine fully, at a reasonable price.
My commander tb used to shut down but with the brp blk box it does not under any condition now and I have full throttle. The lag is gone now as soon as I went to kms new intake system..my Mav has full throttle with the brp box on it and has really no lag now.

I will take pic of the intake when I return.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Yeah, I had the BRP black box on my Commander, still had a really bad delay, when going wot. Nothing like having WOT instantly when needed. Really noticable when going into a curve hard on the brakes, then need instant throttle coming out, then having to wait. I just got my Maverick yesterday, got some time on it today, gonna get up with BRP & see about a box for it, maybe they have made the dbw delete a little better, idk.

Some may or may not know, but a neat feature in BUDS now is the ability to set tire sizes in the ecu, so the speedometer reads correctly.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts