Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody - I've been lurking here for a few weeks - Lot's of great information from enthusiastic owners. I've been an ATV rider for years and never thought of owning a SxS until friends and relatives started buying them and I realized how cool the sport models have become. About 6 months ago I bought a Polaris XP4 900 Walker Evans (I know how you all feel about "popo"....) and have been really enjoying the sport SxS thing ever since. Never being one to enter a hobby half-ass, I know find myself looking a little too hard at the Mavericks. I have no intention of selling the Polaris, but am thinking of adding a Maverick to the arsenal. I have some questions regarding model choice. I know answers will have some speculation as the X-mr model is yet unreleased.

I am trying to decide between the X-mr and the X-rs DPS. I actually don't do that much mud riding, but when I do I want a set up that can hang with my friends that do it all the time. The remainder of the time, I like speed, handling and more open terrain driving (desert, ranch roads, etc). My idea was to get the X-mr and an extra set of wheels/tires like factory 27" Big Horns so it could do everything.

So, the question is would an X-mr be good with 27" Big Horns as a comparison to the X-rs DPS since the only difference at that stage would be the suspension? Possibly better?

I'm not all that much into working on machines (I can, but no time), so I like some of the factory features on the X-mr like snorkels and winch.

Thoughts?
Thanks!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I think it would be better to get the Xrs and add the snorkels so you can have the better suspension.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Welcome to the forum and your interest in the Maverick.....I would agree with desertdog based on your primary riding conditions to go with the Xrs and then equip it with what would be needed when going mudding with your buddies.....the XMR is unproven and the air ride suspension that was used on prior Can Am models didn't receive the best reviews. The Fox Podium shocks are great with a little tweaking......So again, I would recommend the Xrs and then out fit it to meet your needs.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, it looks like I was looking at the suspension wrong - I assumed the Air suspension was better and easily adjusted to the conditions, making it superior to the X-rs.

This may be good news. I dislike the yellow/black color combination so now I could get the preferred color! :smile:(Color would never sway me over performance). It also means I could go get one now, rather than wait!

Thanks for the feedback, I look forward to additional insight.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
for what you say, xrs. yes the mud has air suspension I think, similar to the commander limited. it will raise and lower it a few inches. spend the money to mod the xrs to what you want, if you said you was mudding more, then it would have been different suggestion. you can make a xrs a mudder, but not as easy to make a mudder do what the xrs will.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So, as far as the mud goes with the X-rs (aside from things like snorkels, winches, etc) - Can you just slap on some 30" mud tires and go? Without causing problems like rubbing, messing up sensors, or breaking something?

·
Registered
548 Posts
my bone stock xrs held it's own in the mud last weekend on it's maiden voyage. she's broke in now! it's all in the approach!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I do think the best call would be the XRS as a base, then trick it out to your own taste. Now go get one!!!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I agree with above, get the xrs, add tires, snorkels, & a winch your all set. Depends on how big of tires you go with as far as rubbing & clutching. You should be able to do quite a bit with the money you'll save not buying the XMR.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts