Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

Have you bent/broken/replaced tie rods?

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
In case there is a few out there in doubt if they should do this. I wouldn't have drove mine ten feet if I would have known then what I see now that I have changed mine. The stock are very thin wall aluminum, not enough for me and should not be for anyone else that has a machine capable of running almost 80mph. I only have 4 hrs on mine and not super hard riding, but not gentle either. One of the stockers had a pretty good bow in it already. I think I changed mine in Just in the nick of time.

Thanks to all in the forum for the heads up!!!!!

·
Registered
698 Posts
So here is the poll standings...

99percent of the people who are having problems with there tie rods are from ky or the south and they are rock crawling and trail smashing. The other problem I am noticing is half of you don't even understand what it takes to take a tie rod or how to drive to prevent it... on that said have fun drive fast

·
Registered
2019 max R turbo
846 Posts
They better be aware if your tie rods don't break when u hit something the next part in the front in will and typically the rack is more expensive and much harder to deal with. My son drove my Mav for a full season at Glamis and in Az and the stock tie rock was just fine. Of course the 16 year old never hit anything just whoops and rough terrain.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
we have 3 new maxes and our first hard night ride a friend cranked a hard bottom transition in a Bowl and it pulled the wheels harder right in the soft sand and bent it. I rode back to camp and stole one off our other friends Maverick while he slept and and replaced it when we got back in, LOL he still doesn't Know. But so far I have had no problems with them and I have 270 miles of hard riding in 2 weekends at Glamis. But we all got aftermarket Replacements. Krises broke the Axle and bent the spindle ended up costing a bunch.
The Can Am guys were out at Glamis and gave us a Tie Rod the next day to which was cool. We were busting there balls about it and told them that we drive these the same as our old XP900 4 seaters and they never broke tie rods on us. they said well we made them the weakest link to save the rack and all ya do is replace a cheap Tie rod. Hmmmmm ok well I did not know at that moment you could not just buy a tie rod from Can Am you have to buy the whole damn Rack to get tie rods or he would have got an ear full. Especially when you have more collateral damage when they break like the axle, spindle wheel Etc. Ohh well I see Rackzilla racks on the FLeAbAy for $331 so something like that will be next.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Im skeptical that this pic was not a large hit, tire off rim, hole in middle of rim. The tie rods are fine people have to quite blaming thier shitty driving on this. Im sorry but I have hit bumps, whoops, stumps, big ass rocks. The machines fine. Just sayin

·
Registered
46 Posts
Stock Mav. is risky buisness!

Im skeptical that this pic was not a large hit, tire off rim, hole in middle of rim. The tie rods are fine people have to quite blaming thier shitty driving on this. Im sorry but I have hit bumps, whoops, stumps, big ass rocks. The machines fine. Just sayin
You are the exception, and hope when you brake or bend or flip whatever it is that you end up like you can come back to the forum and tell us how lucky you were to make it out and no-one got hurt. If driving has anything to do with this issue we are talking about it starts with getting off pavement and having equiptment fail regardless. I do agree however if you jump your MAV, or abuse stock equiptment beyond it's advertised function then complaining here is useless. I find even the dealers are shocked how weak the TIE RODS are made and agree upgrading is the safe way to go. I do believe 2013 tie rods are designed different than 2014 so that is also worth mentioning and in my case i had a 2014 S***Y hallow aluminum factrory MAV. NOW WITH SOLID METAL TIE RODS that do put guys that upgrade back at the top of the food chain. Time will tell how long some people will defend the idea stock 2014 tie rods are worth keeping and risking either fixing UTV out on the trail or breaking down and the expense of recovering it out their own pocket and then still dealing with the tie rod issue - just more expensive.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Everybody here that criticizes aftermarket tie rods, and say their fine from OEM, ride the dunes. You don't have banks, tree's, branches, nothing. I feel like I know how to drive. I'm not a kid, and I don't abuse my shit. The stock tie rods are junk, and the only people standing up saying their fine are the ones that haven't experienced them breaking. It's not like we're just going out and plowing trees. It takes VERY LITTLE resistance on the tire to bend the HOLLOW ALUMINUM tie rods.

·
Registered
121 Posts
hey there "chippy" since u know not what u speak of i shall educate u on my situation.....initially the tierod broke in half when we were just doin some trail riding we were in a convoy of about 6 sxs, we were 3rd in line behind 2 polaris rzrs when the tierod busted..terrain no worse then what we had been riding in up to that point..now being the max there was nothing out there to tow us back to camp hell we even tried with one of the rzrs and we got bout 50 yrds and tore the guys back bumper clean off. so here we are stuck out on the trail now in the dark and temp dropping real fast and i made the decision to try to drive it back to camp best i could due to having my family(wife,10 yr old and a 6 yr old) with me and by the time i get back to camp the damage is what u see but initially it was just the crappy tierod that broke. so to quote u"the tierods are fine people" well thats just sticking ur head in the sand and NOT wanting to face reality there are TONS AND TONS of posts on this very forum that contradict that statement. so get ur head out of the sand or ur ass and wake up, just look at the pics of an aftermarket 1 and a stock 1 and u will see the difference...not to mention the previous posts that stated they were told by can am that the tierods are MADE to break....and as far as shitty driving goes....ice up son....u dont know me at all....and ill just say this...with all of my experience in riding since bout 1979 im pretty confident in my driving skills and the skills had NO play in this situation happening the tierod broke plain and simple. so,for u to say the tirods are good nothing wrong with them it makes me ? ur knowledge in this area. nothing u say can b taken serious if ur stance is there is nothing wrong with these stock tierods.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I say if you are gonna put tractor tires on the damn thing, then you better do some effing research and figure out what else you need to do to make the thing survive the added weight and leverage that is going to be applied to the drive train! Not that difficult people!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Everybody in my area had stock tires and stock height. Granted, bigger tires does make the situation worse.

Glamis and mega, I invite you guys down to my neck of the woods and out of the sand. There are obstacles everywhere you put your tires, the safest way doesn't always work. We're talking about junk here, how can you argue that when we've had so many failures?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
hey there "chippy" since u know not what u speak of i shall educate u on my situation.....initially the tierod broke in half when we were just doin some trail riding we were in a convoy of about 6 sxs, we were 3rd in line behind 2 polaris rzrs when the tierod busted..terrain no worse then what we had been riding in up to that point..now being the max there was nothing out there to tow us back to camp hell we even tried with one of the rzrs and we got bout 50 yrds and tore the guys back bumper clean off. so here we are stuck out on the trail now in the dark and temp dropping real fast and i made the decision to try to drive it back to camp best i could due to having my family(wife,10 yr old and a 6 yr old) with me and by the time i get back to camp the damage is what u see but initially it was just the crappy tierod that broke. so to quote u"the tierods are fine people" well thats just sticking ur head in the sand and NOT wanting to face reality there are TONS AND TONS of posts on this very forum that contradict that statement. so get ur head out of the sand or ur ass and wake up, just look at the pics of an aftermarket 1 and a stock 1 and u will see the difference...not to mention the previous posts that stated they were told by can am that the tierods are MADE to break....and as far as shitty driving goes....ice up son....u dont know me at all....and ill just say this...with all of my experience in riding since bout 1979 im pretty confident in my driving skills and the skills had NO play in this situation happening the tierod broke plain and simple. so,for u to say the tirods are good nothing wrong with them it makes me ? ur knowledge in this area. nothing u say can b taken serious if ur stance is there is nothing wrong with these stock tierods.
The only way to do it is take 1 Maverick back to the trailer, remove a tie rod, and take it to the rig that needs it so they can get back. It takes 2 minutes to remove a good one. Just yank the axle out if it's broke.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I say if you are gonna put tractor tires on the damn thing, then you better do some effing research and figure out what else you need to do to make the thing survive the added weight and leverage that is going to be applied to the drive train! Not that difficult people!

haaha that's fucking awesome. I love these guys think us dune riders are a walk in the park. I invite all of you swamp people out to the dunes . I bet you will be leaving with smashed cages and broken dreams . Its not just smash the gas and hold on in the dunes either. Theres a lot behind all the transitions.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I love how you dune riders have the philosophy that if you cant put the tires in the right place, we're all dumbasses.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Ive rode the swamp and the dunes neither is difficult stop patting yourself on the back. If people are having issues with their tie rods and are breaking for whatever reason then there must be a problem. Its just not a random case that we are seeing..

·
Registered
417 Posts
Since my heads up my ass and you spout theres tons of posts about the tie rods being to weak. Lets see whose smarter?

How many Mav,s produced running around out there all different types of terrain,s and drivers?

Next

How many actual numbers reported broke tie rod?

Im betting the number of "broken" les than 1%

I think if anybody did some actual research and collected stats i would look more intelligent than you in this debate

That being said, too bad for your bad luck and glad nobody got hurt. I have been stranded and had to walk out of the bush with my wife in tow, but i think your taking a bad luck circumstance to far saying its a Mav defect. Shit happens dude.

·
Registered
156 Posts
bought replacement rods when I got my machine and will be putting them on before the first ride. even the dealer's know these are a problem.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts