21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Is it just me or do the total percentages from the poll equal roughly 110%

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
What is sad people are feeling they have to change them before they go out. This shit should be good from the start. :)
It should be, but if i had a choice of paying $80 or walking 6 miles out of the woods in the dark, I'd choose the new rods. Better call Alex @CT

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bent my driver side front after I got some kick steer on a rock that took the wheel out of my hand. The ending result is that I hit a tree at low speed with the tire but enough to bend the rod. I got the 7075 aluminum rods from Holz that use the factory joints and they have worked fine. I replaced both even though only one was bent and I use the good factory one as a spare. A good friend of mine is an extremely good machinist and he said going to 4130 CroMo would be overkill and probably would damage the rack if hit again. He thought the 7075 would be plenty strong but if I took a good hit, it would break instead of transfering the energy to the rack so it should save it. After having friends race UTV's, I have seen increasing the strength in one area weakens another so you are perpetually chasing your tail. Just MHO!

·
Banned
546 Posts
2014s are hallow BTW lol

·
Registered
256 Posts
When I did my arched aarms I did the rear radius arms and front rods. Did all this with .3 mile on bike

If Im on the side of the trail posting ... its because Im waiting for you to catch up.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
That makes no sense...... Once they're broke, you're stuck on the trail, and it doesn't take much to break them. Anybody that does any type of trail or woods riding needs an upgrade!

·
Premium Member
8,482 Posts
That makes no sense...... Once they're broke, you're stuck on the trail, and it doesn't take much to break them. Anybody that does any type of trail or woods riding needs an upgrade!
Just don't break or bend them . Use a little common sense and place your tires correctly when going over obstacles. Placing your front tires on the obstacle is better than cranking the wheel around it. Tie rods bend when you have the tire turned and weight from the machine transfered to that corner.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Okay from now on any questions about tie rods this should be everyone's answer!

Alex Reed AKA: Areed, Ct Racing

It is just easier that way.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I glanced off a tree in the last race, did not brake a CT Tie rod but I do have to replace a rack. Tore it all to shreds. So question is do you want to replace tie rods or new rack. 20 / 20 question. And a rack is expensive.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Just don't break or bend them . Use a little common sense and place your tires correctly when going over obstacles. Placing your front tires on the obstacle is better than cranking the wheel around it. Tie rods bend when you have the tire turned and weight from the machine transfered to that corner.
Yeah sure, coming from the guy from dunes land.

Don't break or bend them.... Easier said then done. Ask anybody here that's had that problem. And my tires were straight.

Mine didn't break on an obstacle. I was in a trail and got a little high on the bank. Pulled the front wheel back and snapped the tie rod, and the outer axle joint. Mine lasted longer then the 3-4 other Mavericks out here. No matter how I explain this, you're gonna critique it and not understand how it happened without seeing a video.

·
Registered
46 Posts
2 out here within the same week both experienced drivers on simple terrian. Sorry cannot understand why the tie rod is so weak. When this becomes common knowledge people will expect the change in design or materials.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Bend my passenger side tie rod going up the backside of a dune at 40mph and hit a 2 foot deep witches eye, had to take it off and bend it straight enough to drive out. Sucked, first day of trip and replacements were not available within a couple days. It broke while straightening in a press and had to be welded, limped around for a couple days with a tweeked tie rod, $80 for CT's replacements is cheap insurance!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I ride my 2014 max xrs frickin hard as hell. I hit the whoop section at dumont going 65mph more than a few times..... I haven't checked them out lately. I hope they aren't bent.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
They arent going to bend from going thru whoops. They will bend if you hit something.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just added Power steering to my rig, I'm very glad I upgraded mine. I could see how they could definitely fail with PS. The PS keeps the wheel on track and does not allow it to deflect- meaning all that force is directly on the tie rod and rack.

Curious, if those that have broken or bent were running power steering at the time.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts