Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

Have you bent/broken/replaced tie rods?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm just curious, as being a victim to the broken tie rod epidemic....

Can Am says that you can't tear up a tie rod without damaging the steering rack. I don't believe that to be true. I know a lot of people here have either broken or replaced their tie rods at some point. There are 4 machines in my area that have had tie rods broke or bent. I have confidence that the local dealer is doing what they can, but in the end BRP denies that there is a problem.

Replacement tie rods are not available, and you can only get them attached to a complete steering rack. Lots of vendors here and other places are making replacements, and they seem to be working. I bought an aftermarket set of front and rear from a vendor here, and I'm sure they'll be great. The problem is that when I broke one, it also destroyed a front axle, now I'm out another $400, in addition to the tie rods.

I'm running 14" Hiper wheels, 27" Roctanes, and have broken 1 front rod, and bent 1 rear. What about you?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I got the front replacement set from Holz racing just so I wont be stuck out while riding. I will be keeping the factory ones as emergency only replacements

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Don't waste ur time I put tie rods on from day one mine had 2.4 miles on it and got full set of tie rods and a front gusset kit b4 I even sat in it !

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had bought an extra set of OEM tie rods from a guy here to keep in my toolbox for that exact reason, then loaned them out to a friend so he could ride (already had a broke set) and they lasted 20 minutes on his rig. The following week, I broke mine, and didn't have the spares that I had bought the previous week..... We all made it work with help from others though, so it wasn't too big of a deal getting home. We've all agreed that if someone breaks something on their maverick, 1 of us will drive to the truck, park it, take parts off, and carry them back out to help fix the broken rig so they can get back to the trailer.

·
Registered
109 Posts
the factory tie rods SUCK! I replaced mine after breaking a rear and bending a front. The rear on happened when my wife drove though a mud hole about a foot deep, the front one I bent when I hit a stump.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Look at the difference, I figure if you go out with the factory rods, u have bben warned and you deservr to walk out.

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
need to add to the poll the option of....Havent done a thing and no problems. I am sure there are a good amount of people here that havent done a thing.

·
Vendor
6,220 Posts
Swapped mine out before it could become an issue and then broke the rack. :shocked:
There's no way the stockers would have lived.

·
Registered
93 Posts
So basically by changing the weak rods with a heavy duty one you're putting more stress on the rack? Then the rack breaks?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I also changed mine..... but remember guys, the tie rod is the fuse in the system. Something has to give, so it is going to be the tie rod, steering rack, knuckle or bolt retaining the tie rod to the knuckle. I had the CT racing tie rods. Those things are so strong they sheered the bolt that attaches them to the knuckle. Not a mark on the tie rod. :) There is always a give and take.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Swapped mine out at 400 miles just because I didn't won't to worry any more. Put a set of CT rods on there. Nice set! If you break them you will have more problems then the tie rods.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I was hit going into a corner at one of our races and the left front tie rod was bent bad. Took me out for the overall win. I have replaced the front ones and will replace the rear ones this winter.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I replaced mine because I installed P/S & QE front diff. I had no issues the first 300mi with the stockers, beating on them in the dunes & desert. But in the summer we play up in the mountains & on the rocks, the stockers would not have survived especially with P/S.

·
Vendor
6,220 Posts
So basically by changing the weak rods with a heavy duty one you're putting more stress on the rack? Then the rack breaks?
I race so don't be too concerned with me breaking the rack.

·
Registered
75 Posts
threeborrower
I had bought an extra set of OEM tie rods from a guy here to keep in my toolbox for that exact reason, then loaned them out to a friend so he could ride (already had a broke set) and they lasted 20 minutes on his rig. The following week, I broke mine, and didn't have the spares that I had bought the previous week..... We all made it work with help from others though, so it wasn't too big of a deal getting home. We've all agreed that if someone breaks something on their maverick, 1 of us will drive to the truck, park it, take parts off, and carry them back out to help fix the broken rig so they can get back to the trailer.
I was the borrower in the above story. Maverick Max,30" tires, applying brakes, mild rocky downhill terrain bent tie rod. 7hrs on machine Dealer ordered me aftermarket ones.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts