Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a winter ride were my wife and I had to walk 12k out then get 3 quads to come and pull me home :(
It took 3 quads due to the snow and ice combined with the hills.
I thought the battery might have gone dead as after we stopped for a break had a fire cooked hot dogs the start button would only result in a single click and a faint attempt to turn over also all the dash lights would go dead. I tried the winch and that worked great so the battery had to have lots of juice?
Any way i will take it in to shop tomorrow but not a good start to owning this machine. No pun intended.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Doooh...that blows

·
Registered
16 Posts
Bummer. Sorry to hear. I am heading out in the morning for the first time with our new maverick am I am a little concerned. I hope yours is a simple fix and glad you guys made it out okay.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Did u try putting jumper cables on it ? And making sure grounds and connections are tight but ya let the dealer figure it out for now its under warranty

Sent from my maverick using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
728 Posts
Sounds almost like a dirty or loose battery cable, maybe on the starter. Man 12k is long walk. Hope it is simple fix.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Did you look at the solenoid next to the battery for loose wires? Another person on here posted theirs did the same thing and he suspected the solenoid. I'm hoping it's just the wires are loose and not a bigger issue.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Did you look at the solenoid next to the battery for loose wires? Another person on here posted theirs did the same thing and he suspected the solenoid. I'm hopin it's just the wires are loose and not a bigger issue.
there is quit a few people with over 500 miles with n o issues !

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Did you look at the solenoid next to the battery for loose wires? Another person on here posted theirs did the same thing and he suspected the solenoid. I'm hoping it's just the wires are loose and not a bigger issue.
Sorry to hear about your unintended hike. I did just read where someone had the similar sounding problem as well on his/her post. Will be interesting to see what they come up with. Dealer should handle it! Keep us updated. Always nice to know what to look for....Glad you are back safe.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just got back from a winter ride were my wife and I had to walk 12k out then get 3 quads to come and pull me home :(
It took 3 quads due to the snow and ice combined with the hills.
I thought the battery might have gone dead as after we stopped for a break had a fire cooked hot dogs the start button would only result in a single click and a faint attempt to turn over also all the dash lights would go dead. I tried the winch and that worked great so the battery had to have lots of juice?
Any way i will take it in to shop tomorrow but not a good start to owning this machine. No pun intended.
its your starter armature. the brushes are coming apart. just got mine back from shop for that same exact thing.

·
Registered
128 Posts
possibly the starter we had an issue with a brand new unit and had to pull the starter and swap it out from another unit

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thx for info and suggestions guys, yes we pulled on and checked every line at the selonoid, it wasa good hike due to the snow and hilly terain. What made it the worst was having to push my poor wife pretty hard to make it most the way before totally dark. At least it was warm 3 in the afternoon then dropped to -12 at night.
I will let the forum know what it was when i get it back from dealer.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Increased compression on an unmodified starter is likely the culprit. May be something they need to address. If they keep increasing the compression they will need to install compression relief valves like most motorcycles have. Almost sounds like they are on the edge of needing it now .

·
Registered
961 Posts
Can you post your vin numbers for the one who have had starter problems. I hope this is a isolated issue.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dealer diagnosed and yup its the starter they were gonna rob an old one out of a dead machine to get me back out but i figured just wait couple days for new one. Sorry guys but maybe they just got bad batch from whoever makes these starters. The scary thing is without it your [email protected]&$..

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
so a spare belt, starter, and tie rod, is needed lol

whats funny is i carried a spare starter in the rhino for 6 years ! never needed it tho , when u carry things they dont break , lol

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Were the starter is in this thing i would rather just get it towed home. But if this piece of shit quits on me again im selling it!!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts