Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in one of the facebook groups and it has happened to a couple other people. The passenger rear banjo bolt on the caliper wasnt tight and backed off while I was riding. I found out going into a very fast turn when I didnt have rear brakes. The outcome wasnt nearly as bad as it could have been.

If this has happened to you please comment here. Im talking to can am about it. I would also suggest putting a wrench on your banjo bolts to double check that they arent loose. One corner further and this wouldnt be something I was writing as I probably would still be hospitalized or worse. The front brakes still worked of course but loosing half of my pedal travel and 40 percent of my braking power was not fun.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Any chance you have had rocks in the rear wheels like a lot have? Any gouges in your wheels? Any signs of rocks hitting the banjo bolt or fitting?

·
Registered
494 Posts
My 16" XDS came loose,and I lost the brakes, I had a rock or something get in there, I turned all mine so this can't happen again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry, I didn't see that people had responded until just now.

I have had the normal wear inside the wheels and it is possible that the bolt was tight and took a hit. I will be wire locking these guys on the car once it is back from repairs. I am also going to mount up some rock blocks as well.

Can am denied my repair claims initially as I tightened it back up before I took it in to the dealership. Luckily Jason at midland powersports was nice enough to cover the costs himself. So if this does happen to you and you end up with any damages just let it leak all over your trailer and painted surfaces as can am won't honor it if it isn't still loose. :/

Also, the brakes didn't slowly go away. I went from 100 percent pedal feel to no rear brakes and a ton of pedal travel from one corner to the next. It really surprised me and I got very lucky. The corner after the one this failed for would have been a much different story.

Thanks for the feedback so far. I just really want to spread the word. If it turns out to be an isolated thing then no big deal. Hopefully that is the case.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi! Had the same experience this weekend. Could hear the ramble of a rock inside the rim and i guess it hit the bolt to banjoconnection. I now have problem get the pressure up. Is it possible to get the brakes working with manual pumping and open/close on the caliper? I think i am going to buy a brake vacuum fluid thing....

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
It sounds like you have air in the brake line or caliper and you need to bleed the brakes.

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
The problem is not that something is hitting the bolt and loosening it, the problem is that something is turning the banjo fitting that loosens the bolt.
If the banjo fitting arm turns right hand, the bolt stays tight; if it turns left the bolt loosens.
You have to prevent the fitting from turning.
Jmtcw

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just had this happen to me. Was shredding a gravel road, went up into the woods making a new trail, started up a very steep incline and went to try brakes, pedal went to the floor.
Right at 1000 miles on it and just knew the tree limbs I had just crossed had torn a brake line.
Limped it home and lucky me, banjo bolt was loose.
Tightened it, added fluid, bled air out and ready to go.
Thanks for all the great info on this site. Been crawling here for a while, even before buying my x3.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I gave Savzac his first LIKE! haha
:money:

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Even back in the 80's Honda had the right ideal by adding locking gussets in the caliper to prevent this from happening on my Pilots. Of course they were 20 years ahead of there time!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts