Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok most of you know we totaled our maverick. I still cannot wrap my heard around what the firkin happened. Let me ask you guys a question?? What tire pressure are you running in the dunes? The dealership were be bought the maverick and the tore set, told us to run 3.5 to 5. We ran 6.5..
They were going about 25-30 on flat sand, went to make a veer to the right, and heard a bang and when straight over and flipped several times. The right side tie rod was snapped, and everything else under there was bent to hell.. Cage toast. Seats came UN hooked. Well 17 thousand dollars worth of damage.
I could see if they were beating the shit of it, and Turing on a dime. But they were not. A firkin veer to the right, he had just started to do the turn and it all happened. He said it was as if something lifted him up, launched him forward and then they started flipping. And ended on the top.
Do you guys think the air pressure was to low? I still think it was something bent in front. But I am not a expert.. what are you guys thoughts..

Thanks. 

·
Registered
78 Posts
Do you have the bead lock tires? I ran mine at 8 psi for 200 km doing a desert crossing with no issues, including some hard driving.

6,5 is a bit low, lots of movement on tire but shoud not come off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
664 Posts
The air pressure was certainly not too low. I run between 5-8 in the dunes all the time. I'll bet something happened sometime before and when you veered that just finished off the tie rod.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Hi Barb, I Live in Washington and have run the Oregon dunes my whole life. Ive run tire pressures as low as 3lbs in the dunes and never had a blowout. (ive had several bead break issues but never a blowout). From the way you are describing this it almost sounds as if somthing was hit buried in the sand? It's possible, as ive seen it happen before. Sticks, rocks or debris is out there and lurking just under the surface of the sand. Not to say there wasnt an already existing problem either. Sorry you had this happen. Dont know it there is an answer for it.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Defective tie rod and a fluke accident. I beat my stock tie rods far worse and never had an issue. But seeing your accident I promptly changed them out. No issues before or since.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
The air pressure was certainly not too low. I run between 5-8 in the dunes all the time. I'll bet something happened sometime before and when you veered that just finished off the tie rod.
This is my thought too. Most of us drive these like we stole them, and they work fine. I run 5 psi in the stock tires in the dunes, and once when I first got it I didn't have a gauge and accidentally went down to three psi. It worked great. You have to remember that these are off road race vehicles , basically. Anything can and will happen at any time. There's no lanes to stay in in the desert and dunes, there's no speed limit, et cetera et cetera. Off roading is a dangerous sport.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea I wish like hell we would have beat it. But we knew my grand baby and pregnet dauhter in law would be in it. One expert said if the tie rod broke it still would have gone straight. What a filppen dip shit. Another one said to low of air pressure. We have pictures of we're it happened and it was flat and nothing around to cause it... I am just clustered on this. The air pressure and maverick was checked just before they went out... I just want all of you to be careful. Ours accident could have killed the driver.. :(
Thank guys..

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
In the dunes I run my rear stock tires around 5lbs depending on the sand. I still don't understand how you can have "
Flipped several times" when they were going only 25-30 on flat sand? I can understand going over on its side or top but several times? But I guess anything is possible. Maybe the front bead came off the tire while turning, then it dug into the sand which breaks the tierod and then causing the flip.

Reactions: BigTruck

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is why I can not rap my head around this. Nothing make any seance out of it. I have been ridding for many of years and this a cluster ****.. It only had 13.4 hours on it. That was the first time at the dunes and then when we got back we was going to do the break in maintance. Well it is broke in alright.. :(
thank guys for your input..

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Yeah must be frustrating for sure but like you said, could have been way worse if there was a fatality. Sometimes you need to chalk it up as a freak accident and move on.

·
Registered
998 Posts
If it suddenly pulled to the right it has to be something in the steering, either a front or rear tie rod could've broke or maybe even the steering rack .. It's occurrences like this that keeps giving me reason to go over my ride almost everytime we stop on the trail, it's not that I don't trust it but I want to prevent something catastrophic from happening ..

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
U might not be getting the full REAL story on what happen

Or

U bent or broke the tie rod earlier that day and it in finally let go fully when they crashed

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
yea, I just don't see how you could flip several times whe non ly going 25-30MPH in the sand……but if that is what you say happened, I guess it is possible. Are they saying they aren't going to pay you because it was your fault for running the air too low?

·
Registered
147 Posts
After bringing my Maverick home on 08/21/2013 I checked every nut & bolt I could get to without removing the plastic. Well, this is what I found: many of the bead lock bolts were loose, finger tight, so I used an inch pound torque wrench and my owner's manual tighting sequence. Then I found the "Front Right" lower shock nut on just a couple of threads, so I put the foot pound torque wrench on that. I have since added a full STM Rage 3 clutch, Blingstar doors, harness bar & 3" 4-point harnesses and currently in the process of installing the thermo barrier and header wrap. With all the console plastic removed I am checking all the nuts & bolts I can get to. I additionally blue lock tight everything I remove before re-installing. It should be noted that my Maverick has not been driven since the day I picked it up at the stealership. Could you imagine what would of happened if I had picked it up on my trailer on the way to Glamis and let my wife take it out on its maiden ride. Makes the hair on the back of neck stand straight up. Remember, the people that assemble these things only have a 60-70 IQ and are pushed to get it done in a hurry. I am so sorry to hear that happened to your family and I am 100% positive that it wasn't your fault. Picture 051.jpg

·
Registered
255 Posts
After bringing my Maverick home on 08/21/2013 I checked every nut & bolt I could get to without removing the plastic. Well, this is what I found: many of the bead lock bolts were loose, finger tight, so I used an inch pound torque wrench and my owner's manual tighting sequence. Then I found the "Front Right" lower shock nut on just a couple of threads, so I put the foot pound torque wrench on that. I have since added a full STM Rage 3 clutch, Blingstar doors, harness bar & 3" 4-point harnesses and currently in the process of installing the thermo barrier and header wrap. With all the console plastic removed I am checking all the nuts & bolts I can get to. I additionally blue lock tight everything I remove before re-installing. It should be noted that my Maverick has not been driven since the day I picked it up at the stealership. Could you imagine what would of happened if I had picked it up on my trailer on the way to Glamis and let my wife take it out on its maiden ride. Makes the hair on the back of neck stand straight up. Remember, the people that assemble these things only have a 60-70 IQ and are pushed to get it done in a hurry. I am so sorry to hear that happened to your family and I am 100% positive that it wasn't your fault. View attachment 4720

I dissagree with your last sentence of that comment. How can you say for %100 sure that it was the machines or someone elses fault? Were you there? Did you see it happen first hand?. Im not laying blame, nor am I saying it wasnt some fault of the assembly or the PDI of the unit. But to say that with %100 is a mighty bold statement.

Alot of variables to make a machine flip going 25- MPH on flat ground. I would have to agree that a tire blowing a bead or a tie rod could be at fault. Lots of variables to think about here.

I am an outsider in all of this... If you were there then pay me no attention. :)

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Yeah like Benzo said, something doesn't add up. But freak things do happen.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Freaky yes. And there would be no reason I would lye, it sure would not get me any were. Mavmax I am so glad you found that before you went out. Yes I cryed just thinking my daughter in law and grand baby was just in there the ride before...

·
Registered
147 Posts
OK, 99%. I worked for Suzuki for 2 yrs. and Honda for 5 yrs. and I saw things that would curl your hair (if its not already curly) once I saw a Goldwing which just had its PDI and the fella forgot to fill the third member with gear oil (drive shaft ring & pinion area) and on the way home with his new bike the rear end seized and pitched him into a ditch, bike totaled, had to order him a new bike and kiss a lot of a** to avoid litigation. The mechanics would come into the parts dept. for a 1st over piston for an 1985 250R, I told them we would have to order one, he said can't wait and said what's wrong with that one, I said its for a 1984 250R, he said I'll take it, I said I don't know if the piston pin is in the same location as the 1985's it might hit the head on the way up. The mechanic said well there's one way to find out. When the bike is on a mechanics lift, its getting fixed that day, not tomorrow or a week from now, that's was just their mentallity. So many other things were robbed off of other bikes for warranty reasons, same year same shock, aw who gives a sh*t its not my bike and its red so..... Just saying if you have ever worked at a dealership you will never take your bike back to them for anything cuz they don't care, its all about the flat rate and how much faster you can get the job done in order to get to the next bike. My son is a certified Honda mechanic (cars) and he tells me some of the everyday things that happen, its the same as at a motorcycle dealership, there should be a 20-20 documentary on it. Now thats just the service dept. end of it, in parts we called it the circus dept. The sales dept. would eat their young for a buck and call out "Grand Slam" when the customer left the building, that meant full pop on the bike, service contract and accessories for the bike, which they made 20% on as well. Service contract is where most of the profit. Set up and freight we would charge $395.00, it cost us $45.00. No wonder everyone is so nice to you when you walk in the door, its like a lamb walking into a slaughter house. I'm just glad Barb's family are safe, I've seen a lot of people in body casts a week after we sold them a bike.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts