Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2019 max R turbo
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last week my car after a long ride and 5 miles from home overheated. Today the shop found out the plastic gear wheels behind the water pump broke or were chipped. Evo said that this was a common issue on the can am x3. The water pump, thermostat and all 5 of the plastic gears had to be replaced.

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
That's not good, what's the rhyme and reason behind putting plastic gears I don't know. Does the shop have any idea what caused it?

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
yep, seen it first hand, evo is correct this does happen. Once the gears fail car instantly overheats, what year is yours? one of the 17' cars in our group had this happen, all 5 gears ruined. made a weird whining sound when it happened.

how much they charge to repair and flush it?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Wow, I didn't know that these had plastic gears in them!! Is there an aftermarket metal gear kit that you can replace them with?

·
Premium Member
10,835 Posts
What actually causes them to break? Too many miles? Abuse from too many launches?

·
Registered
974 Posts
I wonder if it would be a good idea to fit a small electric coolant pump to the system and even remove the whole stock pump system? Plumbing isn't that big of a deal.
But I also think these gears aren't failing on a huge number of engines. A metal gear kit, or belt drive, or exterior crank driven pump, or a separate electric pump all sound like a better solution than plastic drive gears...

·
Premium Member
2018.5 Can Am Maverick X3 XRS
165 Posts
May as well ask for an external alternator from BRP!!! :unsure:

·
Registered
974 Posts
A quick google search finds OEM level engine coolant pumps for $60-120 for a pump that looks like it would work, amp draw on one from a parts vendor only pulled 1.2 amps and pushed 6gpm for coolant flow.
This sounds a lot like an easy reliable upgrade from the plastic gears. Worst part would be to pull the side cover to remove the gears if they're not needed anymore.

·
Registered
2019 max R turbo
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Didn't cost me a penny because it was covered under warranty. I would much rather have plastic break in the motor than metal. I have less than 2k miles and I doubt it is a wear issue. Nothing human made will last forever and even can am breaks from time to time. I'm going to replace the front brakes system with something larger and better because the oem brakes suck. I will replace the radiator for the same reason. If I could I would replace these parts but unfortunately there isn't anything better.

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
Wow, I didn't know that these had plastic gears in them!! Is there an aftermarket metal gear kit that you can replace them with?
Not sure if it’s a cost or noise reason to use plastic

·
Premium Member
7,609 Posts
Its rotating mass as well.

For those of you thinking of doing a separate water pump, keep in mind that the oil pump and oil suction gears are also plastic so unless you plan to replace them all, I would advise against it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts