Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Ive been happy with my stock 2.0 Bighorns.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Searching around it looks like stock 27" Big Horn 2.0 4 ply (Can Am) tires are shorter than the 6 ply (Maxxis standard) version, is this true?

Do the 6 ply tires handle better than the 4 ply? Obviously the 4 ply is lighter, but does the sidewall flex too much under hard cornering?

Basically trying to decide if I should get 6 ply tires for the front.
From what I have seen the regular big horns are 8 ply and work really well. Can air them down to almost nothing to run in snow or sloppy stuff and they look like they are still aired up and won't pinch. As far as performance a buddy runs them at 5 psi and runs the hard dirt and rocks with no problem. Yes taller and also heavier but tougher. Choices?

·
Registered
286 Posts
All said I am happy with my stock big horn 2.0s also I just keep them aired up I run 13-14 psi unless in real tought snow conditions. A buddy has had many problems with his but was also running lower pressures.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I like the bighorns on the track we have out here and I use more aggressive tires (I have some swamplites and EVOS) in the trails....I once had my EVOs on at the track and dumped it on the side on the first corner......I usually slide that corner into with the bighorns...

·
Registered
223 Posts
From what I have seen the regular big horns are 8 ply and work really well. Can air them down to almost nothing to run in snow or sloppy stuff and they look like they are still aired up and won't pinch. As far as performance a buddy runs them at 5 psi and runs the hard dirt and rocks with no problem. Yes taller and also heavier but tougher. Choices?
Bighorns are all 6 ply. Stock Mav bighorn 2.0 rears are six ply as well. Only the fronts are four ply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
223 Posts
All said I am happy with my stock big horn 2.0s also I just keep them aired up I run 13-14 psi unless in real tought snow conditions. A buddy has had many problems with his but was also running lower pressures.
Agreed you have to run low teens minimum pressure to avoid "pinch" flats. Higher ply ratings you can run lower pressure, but the tires are heavier and with less sidewall flex and make for a stiffer ride.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Bighorns are all 6 ply. Stock Mav bighorn 2.0 rears are six ply as well. Only the fronts are four ply.

Oh sorry I stand corrected. I just read thier web site cause it didn't all sound right and found that out all are 6 ply. But I can't find anything that says that our fronts are 4 ply. Not that I am doughting it cause I feel as if 2.0s are thinner than the original ones comparing them side by side.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Oh sorry I stand corrected. I just read thier web site cause it didn't all sound right and found that out all are 6 ply. But I can't find anything that says that our fronts are 4 ply. Not that I am doughting it cause I feel as if 2.0s are thinner than the original ones comparing them side by side.
It says it on the side of the tire.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I always ran original bighorns on my Rhino - currently on my 3rd set and they take abuse better than anything out there.
I'm interested to see how these 2.0 work, they sure don't seem like they are nearly as stout as the originals.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Searching around it looks like stock 27" Big Horn 2.0 4 ply (Can Am) tires are shorter than the 6 ply (Maxxis standard) version, is this true?

Do the 6 ply tires handle better than the 4 ply? Obviously the 4 ply is lighter, but does the sidewall flex too much under hard cornering?

Basically trying to decide if I should get 6 ply tires for the front.

OEM 2.0 on the right

OEM 2.0 in front

·
Registered
286 Posts
In regards to running 4 ply's up front I haven't had any trouble or even heard of anyone with problems on front tires. Now the rear is a completely differant story many times I have been helping someone my self included plug, change or rebead a rear tire.

·
Registered
23 Posts
OEM 2.0 on the right

OEM 2.0 in front

I've seen these photos, but they are comparing a Big Horn 2.0 4 ply to a Big Horn Original 6 ply. I'm sticking with the 2.0 for the racing the machine will see, just not sure on the size/ply.

I know only Can Am sells the 4 ply, but I found it strange that Maxxis doesn't even have a 27" Big Horn 2.0 that they sell.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I've seen these photos, but they are comparing a Big Horn 2.0 4 ply to a Big Horn Original 6 ply. I'm sticking with the 2.0 for the racing the machine will see, just not sure on the size/ply.

I know only Can Am sells the 4 ply, but I found it strange that Maxxis doesn't even have a 27" Big Horn 2.0 that they sell.[/QUOT

Kinda what I was wondering also

·
Registered
223 Posts

I know only Can Am sells the 4 ply, but I found it strange that Maxxis doesn't even have a 27" Big Horn 2.0 that they sell.[/QUOT

Kinda what I was wondering also
I think Maxxis doesn't offer the 2.0 in the 27" size because there isn't one, they stamp a 27 on the side of their 26" for canam and call it a day. My 26" Bighorns were about a half inch larger than my 27" 2.0's. I would expect the 27" 2.0 canam version will be the exact same size as the 26" 2.0 from maxxis. Anyone measure these two to confirm?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts