Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where I am the riding is generally hard pack or sand. But there is the odd deep ass mud hole I wanna conquer. Not to mention I love finding the deep sticky mud. Are the big horns gonna cut it what so ever or should I really start looking for better tires? Definitely not looking for anything too too aggressive either.

Sent from my iPhone on the Maverick!

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
The bighorn is probably one of the best all around tires. For a sport tire it one of the best but there are much better tires out there for mud. I run a 30" bighorn for rock racing but that may be a possibility if you're looking for a tire to go fast and play in the mud a little.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I always liked the terra cross. Ran them on my quads, never had a problem. I'm not a bighorn fan but will do for now. Anyhow I always thought the terra's performed decent in the mud but it's not a mud tire Good trail tire for sure. On my 05 kingquad i ran the mst's from highlifter. Good for both conditions but stunk in the snow.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Everyone I know run the Mongrels. I'm fixing to run a 30" mongrel on 14" beadlocks. They all seem to think really high of them as a good all around tire, especially for trails and rock racing.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm running the 30" monster mayhem they're smooth on the trail and I can go through any mud I want to and not look back. With a heavy machine like the maverick these seem to be a good choice. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366346590.696500.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366346611.203259.jpg

·
Registered
668 Posts
I've ran 3 tires now in the mav. 1. Stock bighorns. 2. 30 inch wide mudlites. 3. 31 inch outlaws wides.

The bighorns are good just to small in a 27 and they are scared of the thick mud.
The mudlites are a great tire, ride smooth, provide gc, and do well in light mud.
The outlaws hook up like crazy and pull super hard in the slop but lack trail manor.

seems to me your in the middle . These are your choices IMO:

1.mudlites
2. Zillas
3. Swamplites
4. Silverback lites
5. 30inch AT tire bighorn etc.

Mudlites

outlaws

·
Registered
227 Posts
big horns are a good all around performer...the winner of KOH this year was running bighorns. the only drawback is the 6ply rating but that is also what makes them a lightweight tire

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would like to see more people chime in who have had time on the ITP Blackwaters. Those, IMO, look to be one of the best all around UTV tires on the market right now. They are 8 ply, have an aggressive all terrain tread that doesn't look like it would load up in some medium mud holes. I am buying a set as soon as I get my cage lowered so it fits in my toy hauler with 30" rubber.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I'm a fan of the original BigHorns! In my area, that seems to work best for all around tire! Next would be pitbull rockers! Those things bite hard, but are little heavy and pricey! All depends on type of ridding

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think the Big Horns are a good all around performance tire and much better then the tires that use to come stock on your ride.

This year I'm going to run the GBC Dirt Commander for the most part, 8 ply and good all around. I ride with a few guys that have Pit Bulls and ITP Blackwaters, both seem like very good tires.

I remember screaming down the trail back in the day on my 250R always wondering how far I'm going to get until I need to stop and plug my Cheng Shin, Othsu's or Shredders!-lol Tires are 100% better then what they used to be.

·
Registered
548 Posts
The stock bighorns have treated Me well so far. Not into heavy mud riding, but sometimes you just have to go through some mud. They work great everywhere I have ridden to date. I have my eye on some 28" roctanes or Blackwaters but not till the stock tires are worn down to bologna skins!

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
The stock 2.0s are good tires except the side walls are way too thin for me. I have vulcanized 8 tires between the Commander and the Wildcat at least twice each.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Searching around it looks like stock 27" Big Horn 2.0 4 ply (Can Am) tires are shorter than the 6 ply (Maxxis standard) version, is this true?

Do the 6 ply tires handle better than the 4 ply? Obviously the 4 ply is lighter, but does the sidewall flex too much under hard cornering?

Basically trying to decide if I should get 6 ply tires for the front.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am very happy with my 30" EFX Motoclaws. They seem to be a great wearing all around tire. Very heavy sidewalls and great traction

·
Registered
459 Posts
I don't know why everyone thinks this machine is so heavy. It's only 100# heavier than an XP
It's actually 100# lighter than the xp1k

1 - 20 of 36 Posts