Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2019 max R turbo
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I just got back from Glamis this weekend and the Mav and commander ran like a champ (except when the commander bent a tie rod). I got the Mav tuned better but still needed to get it to run better than the commander. So on my way back from Glamis I decided to drop the cars off to the mad scientist, Kelly at KMSperformance. We talk for a while and it turns out that my Mav doesn't seem to be running optimally. The other Mav at the shop was clearly faster. My Mav shifts out around 50 mphs and drops to 7100 rpms at 50 mphs. This causes a slow climb to the max speed of 74 mphs. It seems the dealer didn't load the correct build for the ECU and this is what causes that issue. Once this issue was resolved we talked about the rotax motor the superior design over other UTV's motors. Kelly is working on several developments for the Mav and commander to improve power in these machines. He told me there is serious power in these motors and once the BRP restrictions are removed we will be able to get to this power. I don't believe BRP engineers gave us anywhere close to the power that is in these motors especially when Kelly got commander to outrun the Mav. Kelly is currently getting very familar with the limitations of the Mav and the areas that need the biggest improvement (intake, headers, ecu, cam, etc).

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
sweet !!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
It will be nice to see where the final result's ens up.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
usaguy something is bad wrong with your Maverick! I also have a fast commander but my Maverick is much quicker.
Maybe so, but I think his commander is probably one of the quickest ones around if not the quickest.

·
Registered
9,361 Posts
His Commander is like no other motor wise. I drove his Maverick and we raced. His Commander was at least 3 lengths ahead of his Maverick

·
Registered
2019 max R turbo
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not the quickest that belongs to a turbo commander that Kelly at kms built. It is stupid fast. It might be faster than my bmw...lol. my maverick will be stupid quick when all is done...100+ hp to the rw and NA. Kelly is a true engineer problem solver.

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
Not the quickest that belongs to a turbo commander that Kelly at kms built. It is stupid fast. It might be faster than my bmw...lol. my maverick will be stupid quick when all is done...100+ hp to the rw and NA. Kelly is a true engineer problem solver.
Kelly is great, my little old rhino with his intake, clutch and header had some decent power over a stocker. I sure wish good old Jerry Hall would get into sxs's, he did awesome things with my banshee way back in the good old days.

·
Registered
2019 max R turbo
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well thank god we have kelly involved cause it takes a guy like him to rise up to the challenge and improve this machine the right way. He builds what the machine needs not what lines he pocket. He will build a header if it needs one not an exhaust system. Design a better drop cam not a big bore kit when simple bolt ons will improve performance.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Wow thanks a lot! I just got off the phone with Kelly. He's the man and he's also right here in Phoenix. I moved here 2 years ago so I don't have the right connections yet. I just got done building another bike a 2013 Street Glide. Pulled the 103ci motor out and installed the 120ci Race motor. I'm bringing the bike to Kelly on Monday for a super tune. He's got a few Mavericks there already. Let's have some fun.
Thanks again for the heads up...

·
Registered
2019 max R turbo
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On your commander do you still have a drop in cam ?or did you get your head clearanced for max hp cam ?
I still have a drop in cam and will not replace it at this time cause the car has great power throughout the entire power band...it outruns my Maverick.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I still have a drop in cam and will not replace it at this time cause the car has great power throughout the entire power band...it outruns my Maverick.
hey mt , what clutch are u running or gonna run in the maverick and commander or whats the best for these machines , in case we wanna upgrade in the future or have a problem thx

·
Registered
2019 max R turbo
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey mt , what clutch are u running or gonna run in the maverick and commander or whats the best for these machines , in case we wanna upgrade in the future or have a problem thx
I run the full STM rage 6 setup in the commander which is best there is but I'm leaving the Maverick clutch alone til I see a reason to change it. If I do need to change I will get another Full STM Rage 6 setup for the Maverick.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I run the full STM rage 6 setup in the commander which is best there is but I'm leaving the Maverick clutch alone til I see a reason to change it. If I do need to change I will get another Full STM Rage 6 setup for the Maverick.
How is your engine braking with the full rage 6 setup?

·
Registered
2019 max R turbo
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How is your engine braking with the full rage 6 setup?
I was wondering about that last weekend cause I heard some guys had issues with engine braking. I noticed in the dunes that my engine braking was just fine.

·
Registered
791 Posts
It will work fine until you primary disengages from the belt (off the throttle, going downhill at low speed <5mph). That is when a tight belt with a one way bearing setup comes into play for engine braking. This situation may not be a factor in the dunes. It is a factor when valley riding on dirt.

·
Registered
2019 max R turbo
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It will work fine until you primary disengages from the belt (off the throttle, going downhill at low speed <5mph). That is when a tight belt with a one way bearing setup comes into play for engine braking. This situation may not be a factor in the dunes. It is a factor when valley riding on dirt.
The adjustments I get in the Rage 6 along with the ability to apply tons of power to the wheels more effectively then any clutch available including the Cvtech/Stm that I used to have is worth having and I can live without the minor full engine braking. The Rage 6 allows for both low speed and high speed adjustments that are independent of each other. I have had this clutch tuned for crazy pulling power off the line and then set it for peak HP in the mid and top range. The STM clutch is for those who want pure performance in the desert and dunes. Those who run primarily in high speed and want crazy fast acceleration on a built motor. The stock clutch handles slow speeds, trail riding, rock climbing stuff just fine. After all if if you are spending 2000.00 on a clutch you are normally a turbo or well built aspirated motor Rotax owner. With that said the Maverick clutch too me is just fine so far.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Mud guys need aftermarket clutches or clutch kits to turn big lug heavy tires in thick mud even with stock horsepower. Stock clutching does not cut it for mud unless you like changing belts. I am familiar with the STM clutches just pointing out to others that are not, that there are drawbacks in certain situations.

Engine braking is a factor for most , especially on a heavy sxs

1 - 20 of 28 Posts