Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past Saturday was my first day in a Maverick and the 65-miles put on her in just a few hours was well worth the investment. The crew I was with Saturday consisted of a couple of guys on a Commander (retired GNCC racers) and a guy on an Outlander, all young men and me, "the old guy" in my 50's. Having put over 1600 miles on my Commander in two winters of riding I felt I had a good handle on side by sides and their limitations, I must say the Maverick changed all that.

The ride started with me out front and I must say the first mile was full of giggling laughter. I could not believe the power the Maverick has and the shock revalve/dual-rate spring work done by Alex at CT Race Worx made it ride like a Cadillac instead of a bucking bronc. All day I would stop at trail intersections and wait on the crew and then I would take off again and watch in the Joes Racing Products rear view mirror as my crew would drop back quickly. At lunch we discussed the Maverick and each one in the crew said the suspension was the key to its speed. I agree, power is great but without the ability to tame the rough stuff your body and machine can only take so much. The suspension is truly the key for high speed riding like we do, the package/tune that Alex did reminds me of the $50k suspension packages the trucks run in the Baja 1000. Watching them on TV they seem to float through the rough stuff and that's the way the Maverick rode. I rode my Commander X on these same trails just three weeks ago and even with the dual rate spring setup I could in no way run even two-thirds the speed I was running in the Maverick, no comparison.

Now for the BAD, flying through the woods hitting water/mud holes wide open and sometimes at slower speeds creates a wave of water/mud that hits your windshield and roof as you laugh and turn on the wiper motor. The only problem is, that's on the Commander, the Maverick has no windshield and three times on Saturday I forgot and at 45 degrees outside I was engulfed in a wave of water/mud, luckily I had a rain suit and helmet/goggles on but you still get soaked. By fall I hope to have a nice windshield, wiper and doors for our winter riding season but for summer, who cares. I did install the Mudbuster Fender Flares and for the high speed riding like we do I don't see how you could run without them in wet conditions.

I do love the Maverick and thanks again to Alex "AReed" at CT Race Wrox for putting this Maverick together, both price and aftermarket accessories, it is a "Go Fast, Giddy Up" buggy.

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
Bart I'm glad to hear you're really enjoying it. The shock setup makes a tremendous difference and a lot of the guys out there are looking for more power when the machine can't put the power to the ground or handle the extra power. With that being said Im glad you can appreciate the suspension difference not just from the overall riding quality but from a performance and handling aspect as well.
Keep enjoying it!!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts