Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody been to the Paiute Trails System? Trying to plan a trip out there and wondering if it’s worth it? Running 5-7 machines.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Is it worth it? That depends, what are you looking for? This playlist gives you a good overview of what the Paiute is like.

The Paiute is really fun, so is the Arapeen. Lucky you, they are connected via the gooseberry system.

·
Registered
21 X3 RR Max w/Smart Shox.
60 Posts
I go there every year. Spend about 1-2 weeks. Love this place. Best part of these trails, they connect to other trail systems in Utah. I've gone hundreds of miles and never hitting the same trail. There are stream crossings, Snow (some places) and plenty of wildlife to see. Just love Utah...

·
Registered
21 X3 RR Max w/Smart Shox.
60 Posts
Need to add this about the Piaute, an X3 may be too large for some trails. SO be warned that you may have to back up a few times....:) BUT that should not worry you.

·
Registered
192 Posts
This is my 17th season(May-October) on the Paiute. We enjoy riding locally(within 40 miles) around Marysvale. A few times every year we'll go on multi day destination rides(Salina, Fillmore, Manti, Panguitch), and explore their surrounding areas.

I've been using National Geographics #708 paper map since day 1. It's available in georeferenced format on Avenza. Width restrictions are listed to help with route planning.

Show up with an adventurous attitude, and you'll have a blast.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Couple of pictures from the Paiute Trail. You will have a great time. I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I am planning to ride the Paiute trail area next week if anyone wants to join us. I am not a cruiser.

Reactions: Vagabond

·
Registered
192 Posts
I am planning to ride the Paiute trail area next week if anyone wants to join us. I am not a cruiser.
We'll be on the Papa Bear poker run this Saturday.

I hope our dust settles before you get there. It's hot, and really dry. The Sevier river between Panguitch and Circleville is as low as I've ever seen it.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
We'll be on the Papa Bear poker run this Saturday.

I hope our dust settles before you get there. It's hot, and really dry. The Sevier river between Panguitch and Circleville is as low as I've ever seen it.
Droughts suck. If I wait until July then there is a chance of monsoon rains and mud.

Is it hot at high elevations? What is your advice?

Maybe I should go to Colorado first, then Utah.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Droughts suck. If I wait until July then there is a chance of monsoon rains and mud.

Is it hot at high elevations? What is your advice?

Maybe I should go to Colorado first, then Utah.
Hot here in Durango, CO too. Touching 95 yesterday, though I imagine the high country is 20 degrees cooler.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
After looking at the 10 day forecast for Marysvale, UT, I think we might head straight to Silverton for cooler weather.

·
Registered
100 Posts
After looking at the 10 day forecast for Marysvale, UT, I think we might head straight to Silverton for cooler weather.
So the valley floors will be hot and dry. But you head up the mountains, and temps drop off really nicely. We were just down in Marysvale in 100+ weather, temps up on Monroe Mountain were totally reasonable. The drive East out of Marysvale takes a while to get to the mountains, but Monroe Mountain is a lot of fun. Head up, see Manning Meadows reservoir, take forest service trail 156 through a burned out section of forest to an amazing overlook, see upper and lower Box Creek reservoir, and head into Koosharem ("k'SHArem") for a really good lunch. Koosharem is at 7,000 feet, so a lot cooler than Marysvale.

If you go to Marysvale, stay at the Rocky Ridge Resort, some of the most amazing people run it. Or just park your truck there, but Wendy and her husband are OUTSTANDING.

It's also fun to park the truck in Fillmore, head up onto the mountains, then head south on the 01 (I think it's the 01) to Elsinore, drop in and get a burger at the Carl's Jr, go back up, and head south through the Pauvant Ensign CWMU, absolutely beautiful.

Oh, and if you try to drive up or down to/from Fillmore at the right (wrong?) time of year, you might get stuck in the middle of a legitimate cattle drive through the canyon. You just pull over, and wait for the cowboys to push all the cattle past you. 🤣

Also, from Fillmore, once you're up on the top of the range, you can head north through the Goosebury to the Arapeen system instead of south through the Paiute. The Arapeen is even higher altitude than the Paiute, and cooler. In a normal year, "early access" trails for the Arapeen aren't even open until mid-June, but this year, I imagine all of the trails are open at this point.

You say that like it's a bad thing. 🤣 One of my favorite rides was through July monsoon rains... it poured cats and dogs for the entire day. We rode through it all - $25 rain gear sets from Scheel's, good boots, and some warm clothes under the rain gear, we stayed warm and quite dry - but the ride was AMAZING.

Ah. One more thing... if you're not used to riding in the mountains, bring more spare gas than you think you'll need. 5,000-7,000 foot altitude gain coming back up out of each town along the way will burn through gas a lot faster than some might think.

·
Registered
192 Posts
We ended up with excellent riding weather yesterday(6/20) for the local Papa Bear run. Some sun, clouds, and a little rain. Perfect!

Today looks like it's back to the hot stuff. There were record high temps just to the south last week. It'll go back and forth between warm, and hot for the next month. Head for the treeline.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Absolutely love the Paiute trail in Utah. I go every year pretty much. Usually either stay in Richfield or Marysvale at Lizzie and Charlie's.

Just got back from the last trip last Sunday and it was thunderstorms off and on. We did some loops like 77 and 02 one day then went and did Marysvale to Koosharem.

It's pretty cool because it starts off almost a mix of desert and plains then as you go up the mountain turns into forest very quickly. Cows in the road, forest Meadows everything.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts