Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im from Michigan and I go to silverlake Sand Dunes a lot, This will be my first year there with my maverick! What kind of paddles work best? Size? number of scoops?

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
tons and tons of threads on paddles what and why works best I would do a search and read up cuz its a lot for someone to re type !

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have been reading through the threads for 3 days… From what I have read, it looks like the 25" or 26" - 7 or 8 paddle skats are the ticket. RockyMountain isn't offering a 7 paddle skat….

You should have an 8" wide rim at least for the rears and then there is something about "roll out" that I don't understand… lol!

I am in the same boat on trying to decide which size and paddle count is the best. I called Fullerton and they told me I would want a 10 paddle. haha will it ever end??!?!?!?!? I might just keep the low pressure horns on and spend my 1k on strippers and coke. It would be a lot less stressful.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
It also depends on your budget. You can go anywhere with the stock knobbies aired down to 5 lbs. 7 or 8 paddle scat

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm probably going to get 8 paddle skats and call it good. I'm not sure what rims I want yet… Hiper wheels are not in my scope as I am only in the sand 25% of my wheel time.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I'm torn between the 25 or 26x12 7 paddle skats and the 26x12.5 12 paddle staggered gliders. Either way I go will be on the Red Label 8" Douglas wheel. I have read all the articles on sand paddles here and hit up some folks on here as well for their opinions. I know some guys on here were to race at Glamis recently but haven't seen anything more on that.

I will be going with the buffs up front. The 26 inch rear paddles seem to get the rollout pretty close, so you don't bind and break sh!t when you are in 4 wd.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
If I was you I wouldn't spend big money on paddles if your only going to go a couple times a yr. I know a lot of my buddy's go every yr and do fine on stock tires. Of course I'm getting paddles myself but not going to drop a chit load of coin on them either. They will out last my mav for the amount of use they will get. Now if I lived in Cali or az ya I that would be a different story.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm torn between the 25 or 26x12 7 paddle skats and the 26x12.5 12 paddle staggered gliders. Either way I go will be on the Red Label 8" Douglas wheel. I have read all the articles on sand paddles here and hit up some folks on here as well for their opinions. I know some guys on here were to race at Glamis recently but haven't seen anything more on that.

I will be going with the buffs up front. The 26 inch rear paddles seem to get the rollout pretty close, so you don't bind and break sh!t when you are in 4 wd.

So the "roll out" goal is to keep the same circumference front to rear so everything is rolling at the same speed pretty much? Would you put a 25" skat on the rear and a 26" buff on the front?

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Where did you get your 7 paddle skats? Are you running the douglas reds as well?
Tim Kelly(Extreme Tire) in Phx Az is the guy to get the Skats from and he will make sure the Rollout is correct to.
Heres his cell phone # 602 576 1043

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
mike u must have scared the OP off he hasn't been back to see what tires to get , lol

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
While many other forum members may think differently, the last time I asked the mechanic at our local dealer (Yeah, I know, not the best advice) about which set of sand tires to use for the XRS, he mentioned Sand Strippers. Could give them a shot as well.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts